The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by nafod »

I watched the video. The guy dropped from out under the bar with a load well within his capability, which sure suggests his legs stopped working sudden like.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Why use 100 words when 5,000 is hardcore'r. A microcosm for @fit as a whole.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

BFly wrote:They're never going to get it.

Read Couch Winchester's quote here:

"We will not stop snatching. We will not stop CrossFitting. We will not stop doing what we do. It makes us better human beings. Nothing in life comes without risk. For every action there is a consequence. We might die in a CrossFit workout – but we also might die in a car wreck on the way to work. I would rather die doing what I love." from http://coachwinchester.wordpress.com/20 ... /14-01-14/

That is cringe worthy. I feel embarrassed reading some of this shit. Admittedly I am culturally pre-disposed towards cynicism, but that whole paragraph is fucking retarded. This genuinely sad event offers @-fitters a decent opportunity to take a step back and assess what they are doing and why they are doing it. Very few seem to want to accept this opportunity and instead dress over the deficiencies in their culture with weak bullshit like 'everything carries a risk'. Fucking idiots. I wouldn't stoop as low as to say they deserve to get hurt - in this context - but really they need to properly look at their actions.

One of the key things they would benefit from is the understanding that no-one else actually gives a fuck how elite they think they are. When you truly understand this you find some of your lifestyle choices become a little healthier and less twattish.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

nafod wrote:I watched the video. The guy dropped from out under the bar with a load well within his capability, which sure suggests his legs stopped working sudden like.
Maybe he had a pre-existing condition. Hope he did so Obamacare covers it.

But it also may be somewhat related to running a couple of miles in the prior part of the competition holding some 1.5 poods in each hand.

Nothing heard from the RRG...
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

This has been over-looked apparently.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Yes I Have Balls wrote:This has been over-looked apparently.

I guess Wild Bill and the Nigerians are right, queers shouldn't be allowed to marry, or have kids.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

powerlifter54 wrote:
nafod wrote:I watched the video. The guy dropped from out under the bar with a load well within his capability, which sure suggests his legs stopped working sudden like.
Maybe he had a pre-existing condition. Hope he did so Obamacare covers it.

But it also may be somewhat related to running a couple of miles in the prior part of the competition holding some 1.5 poods in each hand.

Nothing heard from the RRG...
Kind of screams stress fracture to me, but I'm not a doc. Sucks for sure.
Don’t believe everything you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Double post. Mario's fault.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-jacob ... 00030.html

What a fucking bell-end.

The car comparison is especially weak. For starters we tend to drive places because we have to. Secondly, safety is integral to driving. At no point when I learned to drive did my instructor say he accepted 20% slop for the sake of time or distance. It's beyond retarded. The responses of some of these fucking idiots to this is actually making me angry.

They seem like prime candidates for the Darwin awards.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Your first mistake was looking at the Huffington Post.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Fucking Huff Po and Jezebel piss me off to no end.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

HuffPo and all the Gawker Media sites attract a special kind of squawking internet retard.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I agree in general with his statements on how people think about risk, but there's risk and there's stupid, unnecessary risk.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I don't think it was that dangerous.

The theory that he'd had a back ready to break is just as sound as the theory the plates bounced into his back.

I think it was a stupid, freak coincidence that lead to the poor sob going down.

There are dudes who have seriously fucked themselves doing strongman, OL and pl too not to mention the big grand daddy of all fuck em up sports, good old football, where we've just quietly turned our heads and ignored the 1000s of athletes ruined, permanently damaged, brain damaged or killed.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:
There are dudes who have seriously fucked themselves doing strongman, OL and pl too not to mention the big grand daddy of all fuck em up sports, good old football, where we've just quietly turned our heads and ignored the 1000s of athletes ruined, permanently damaged, brain damaged or killed.
Maybe it's the fact that these are all serious athletes in our minds and the NFL has always been looked like as a quasi Gladiator sport, where we expect damage and the occasional snapped neck or back (plus all the ong term damage) and looking at Cross Fit comps the same way, while we have seen the antics and lunacy of of it all from the simply funny to seriously fucked up.

And we also see it's fuck-upedness going full fucking retard in event order.

But he is getting nailed to the CrossFit cross.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I think he just looked like a fatigued lifter with compromised form. I dont let my lifters do that, its dangerous. Cf doesn't see anything wrong with that. I do. And I would never want any of my family, friends, or even mostly hated acquaintances being trained by the die hard enthusiasts. Could you imagine someone willing to lay down their life for jazzercize?
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

And let's not forget, for context, that the softball throw was an event in the games a couple years back.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Ed Zachary wrote:Fucking Huff Po and Jezebel piss me off to no end.
baffled wrote:HuffPo and all the Gawker Media sites attract a special kind of squawking internet retard.

I dislike those websites for myriad of different reasons, all hinging on particular content and context. Mostly, I think they're perpetuating The Problem.

I pretty much only get my news from the BBC now, and occasionally Al Jazeera Us. And I avoid any and all op-ed and opinion articles in-favor of more time checking out hot trim on The Chive.

chi

Post by chi »

baffled wrote:HuffPo and all the Gawker Media sites attract a special kind of squawking internet retard.
This is how us Brits feel about every goddamn Daily Mail link that gets posted.
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

chi wrote:
This is how us Brits feel about every goddamn Daily Mail link that gets posted.
The Daily Mail is still hilarious though

D66

Post by D66 »

...Could you imagine someone willing to lay down their life for jazzercize?
On a lighter note...my wife actually fractured her Fibula years ago doing fucking Jazzercise!! I was shocked when she told me...and naturally I gave her shit, telling her that she was the only person in history to ever accomplish that; at least I would hope...?

She's been lifting barbells & kettlebells for the last 10 yrs, and never done that much damage... :-k

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I've watched that video more times than I care to admit and yeah it appears the bar hits him on the way down but he doesn't go full body lock up until it appears to bounce off the plates back into him. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

Even then, the second hit may be immaterial: I haven't seen many spinal cords severed in my lifetime, but I don't imagine they're immediate in their symptoms.

For instance, his convulsions don't start until well after he's on the floor and rigidity has set in.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

DARTH wrote:
Maybe it's the fact that these are all serious athletes in our minds and the NFL has always been looked like as a quasi Gladiator sport, where we expect damage and the occasional snapped neck or back (plus all the ong term damage) and looking at Cross Fit comps the same way, while we have seen the antics and lunacy of of it all from the simply funny to seriously fucked up.

And we also see it's fuck-upedness going full fucking retard in event order.

But he is getting nailed to the CrossFit cross.
At least the NFL provides health insurance for their players.
Sports like Football and Hockey have made rule changes for the health and well being of the athletes.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Testiclaw wrote:Even then, the second hit may be immaterial: I haven't seen many spinal cords severed in my lifetime, but I don't imagine they're immediate in their symptoms.

For instance, his convulsions don't start until well after he's on the floor and rigidity has set in.
I had a rugby coach who told us about a teammate who broke his neck. Said the guy took a hit, got up, stumbled down the field and collapsed.

No idea if he was full of shit, or not.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman