Standing Desk: Barstool suggestions?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Thud
Sgt. Major

Standing Desk: Barstool suggestions?

Post by Thud »

Anyone use standing desk much? I used to but have been lazy lately. Just re-arrange today for standing use again. In the past my lower back would ache after extended standing, especially in the beginning before the muscles set. This time I'd like to have a tall stool to lean my lazy butt upon from time to time.

I'm thinking something relatively austere and uncomfortable, like a plain round swivel stool, is the way to go, so as not to settle in and get mushy. Would that be right minded thinking?

Something like this perhaps?

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Re: Standing Desk: Barstool suggestions?

Post by Batboy2/75 »

I have used a standing desk for years and have never used a chair.

I say go all in. You'll be tired at first, but without a stool or chair, you'll be less likely to backslide.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Thud wrote:Anyone use standing desk much? I used to but have been lazy lately. Just re-arrange today for standing use again. In the past my lower back would ache after extended standing, especially in the beginning before the muscles set. This time I'd like to have a tall stool to lean my lazy butt upon from time to time.

I'm thinking something relatively austere and uncomfortable, like a plain round swivel stool, is the way to go, so as not to settle in and get mushy. Would that be right minded thinking?

Something like this perhaps?

I do something similar and use a wire shelving unit and an old fashioned 4-legged stool I got at Target w/an added pad on it. Stool is comfortable enough to sit on a bit and uncomfortable enough to make me stand up much of the time.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I have a tall stool with my standing desk, but rarely use it. If I sit when I work, I tend to sit on the stability ball and not at the standing desk, of course.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Batboy2/75 wrote:I have used a standing desk for years and have never used a chair.

I say go all in. You'll be tired at first, but without a stool or chair, you'll be less likely to backslide.

My training partner is an engineer who does a lot of circuit board work on the microscope and had a really hard transition for like 2 weeks but then a ton of little niggling injuries just disappeared and his throws went way up.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Batboy2/75 wrote:I have used a standing desk for years and have never used a chair.

And probably more comfortable with a single point sling.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

nafod wrote:

If you want to sling in, fine. Just don't attach it to the floor and over complicate things.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

My training partner is an engineer who does a lot of circuit board work on the microscope and had a really hard transition for like 2 weeks but then a ton of little niggling injuries just disappeared and his throws went way up.
What does starting the sauce have to do with the over-the-hill OPs inability to stand up without aches and pains??
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

T>1200 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

What does starting the sauce have to do with the over-the-hill OPs inability to stand up without aches and pains??

he was fully juiced beforehand. i think the standing helped with some back issues not addressed by GH.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
nafod wrote:

If you want to sling in, fine. Just don't attach it to the floor and over complicate things.
What size round should the table be able to stop? Firing ports?
Don’t believe everything you think.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

nafod wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:
nafod wrote:

What size round should the table be able to stop? Firing ports?
Well it's a table; plenty of support. Go all in with a .50 cal Barrett. If you got he money and live the right state, go for the Ma Deuce, m-60, or Mg42. Mounted on a tripod with a nice T&E. Sand bag bunker fighting position is a must. Fire off an e-mail and then kill the mail man a thousand meters down the road. Get the family involved doing farmer carry's running resupply runs to your stand up desk/ bunker you with .50 cal or 7.62 or 8mm ammo cans.

Your back will thank ou for it.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Thud wrote:Anyone use standing desk much? I used to but have been lazy lately. Just re-arrange today for standing use again. In the past my lower back would ache after extended standing, especially in the beginning before the muscles set. This time I'd like to have a tall stool to lean my lazy butt upon from time to time.

I use a stool from IKEA at home. I don't know how "comfortable" is it but it looks fine and does the job. I toss stuff on it when I get home, something you couldn't do with a swivel stool.

WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

louburr
Staff Sergeant

Post by louburr »

I think you are going to need back support get a dance pole and lean against it. No sitting

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Barstool!

My old man uses a standing desk and has for years AKA as a drafting table. He has a bar stool and goes between standing and sitting and always paces while on the phone.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »