Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The American: Season 2 thread.

Post by DARTH »

Ed Zachary wrote:I say GAWDDAMN!

I love this fucking show. I can't seem to stick with any show for more than 8 or 10 episodes but I watch this religiously.

I foresee some nasty shit going down this season.
Hell Yeah!

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

DARTH wrote:it's all going to lead to Philip and Elisabeth being turned.

He's getting sick of what he is doing, he seems to have his doubts about what he is serving and then there is the issue of his children.

And that's where Elizabeth will start to come around.

The most telling scene in the whole show was in the first episode when he is with Henry at the school assembly for the Astronauts, when everyone is reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and you watch his eyes scan the room and you can just tell he is thinking "These people do this because they want to, not because they have to, like we would back in Russia."
As I recall, you made the call on the Breaking Bad finale, so I will definitely be watching to see if your very plausible prediction plays out.

I'd have to re-watch the "Pledge of Allegiance" scene. Nevertheless, the kind of commitment that Phillip and Elizabeth have made, I have to believe they are (or were) total "true believers" in "the cause." (Elizabeth has been more vocal on that.) I can't see that level of commitment coming from, "just following orders." Granted, living "the good life" in the USA can be very attractive to folks who had to wait on long lines for toilet paper, etc. and can "wear down" commitment. (To paraphrase Gordon Gecko, "Decadence, is good." )

A few random comments:

Phillip and Elizabeth seem to be truly sick murderous F'ers, or I am completely naive about the world of spies.

What is the Russian chick's motivation?

I find it interesting that the executive producer is a former CIA guy. I wonder how "genuine" if not necessarily accurate, the story lines are ?

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Cayenne wrote:
DARTH wrote:it's all going to lead to Philip and Elisabeth being turned.

He's getting sick of what he is doing, he seems to have his doubts about what he is serving and then there is the issue of his children.

And that's where Elizabeth will start to come around.

The most telling scene in the whole show was in the first episode when he is with Henry at the school assembly for the Astronauts, when everyone is reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and you watch his eyes scan the room and you can just tell he is thinking "These people do this because they want to, not because they have to, like we would back in Russia."
As I recall, you made the call on the Breaking Bad finale, so I will definitely be watching to see if your very plausible prediction plays out.

I'd have to re-watch the "Pledge of Allegiance" scene. Nevertheless, the kind of commitment that Phillip and Elizabeth have made, I have to believe they are (or were) total "true believers" in "the cause." (Elizabeth has been more vocal on that.) I can't see that level of commitment coming from, "just following orders." Granted, living "the good life" in the USA can be very attractive to folks who had to wait on long lines for toilet paper, etc. and can "wear down" commitment. (To paraphrase Gordon Gecko, "Decadence, is good." )

A few random comments:

Phillip and Elizabeth seem to be truly sick murderous F'ers, or I am completely naive about the world of spies.

What is the Russian chick's motivation?

I find it interesting that the executive producer is a former CIA guy. I wonder how "genuine" if not necessarily accurate, the story lines are ?
-Elizabeth is defiantly a communist at heart. The lynch pin will be her kids. Motherhood trumps country.

-Philip seems to be more a guy who was a Judoka and probably was part of the USSR's para military youth groups and had an aptitude so was selected by the KGB and being like most people he did what he was told, did well and so he was put in the program to be a deep cover agent.

-They do what they have to, I see them as warriors just on the other side but you see from last episode that is starting to bother Philip. He did not like killing that kid and that refusnik he turned over got to him.

- She's a bitch, she worked for Stan because he had her over the barrel and the idea of being able to defect appealed to her until Stan killed Vlad. Now she is all over the place.

-He was not in the CIA very long and was not an Operative.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Holy fuck! Philip is coming apart. Elizabeth is the only one keeping her shit together except for fucking with their daughter. It's just a matter of time before the FBI agent gets popped for sharing intel and the kids rat out mom and dad. I want to know who killed the other spy family. The homo SEAL looks like he's got some big parts coming up the rest of the season. And I think Philip will end up fucking the new handler and killing his fake wife that works for the FBI. I think they are going the Shield route and up the darkness.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

We had let this slide for awhile but have since caught up...I can't speak highly enough of it. Just like Brody's daughter in Homeland this little self-absorbed shit of a daughter has no idea dad just cut a guy's throat and capped two more while mom was putting one in the dome of a contra rebel leader. When Phillip puts on the gloves you know he's not going out to scrape ice off the windshield. I thought he was gonna put the beatdown on the preacher.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Oh shit! Things are fucking amping up.

Spoilers motherfucks!

Last fucking chance.

I think the surviving kid killed his parents. Kate was suspicious of his parents so she turned him. They were going to sell out the motherland so he confronted them and shit went bad. I know it's harebrained but fuck I got nothing else.

The FAG SEAL is about to get into some serious shit with Philip and Elizabeth. Who dies next? Arkady? That sweet little Russian poon that's banging the FBI man? The SEAL? Granny? Why do I think Granny is going to be the one that kills the semen and save Philip and Elizabeth's lives?

Pisses me off I only have 2 episodes left in the season.

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Naw, I don't think the boy killed his parents, does not match with the scene where he finds them and his sister dead.

Now maybe Kate killed them or maybe the Granny did?

Something makes me think the Granny is playing her own game with all of this.

The SEAL is no bitch. Kate is supposed to be trained like P and E yet look how easy the SEAL handled her (very realistic fight scene there.)

You just can't help to think it would be hard to keep these agents true to the USSR. They grew up in the land of long lines and shortages and then here they are in the land of plenty, where poor people live better than the average Soviet and the average American lives about as well as Soviet elites.

This and the kids are the thing that will turn Philip, he sees he is serving a monster and that who he is fighting is better.

Like how can they really take that kid and put him on the boat to Russia? He's American born and bred and Philip will see this for the cruelty that it is.

Subtle hints, like Elizabeth going off about the Church "Indoctrinating them when they are young" like the commies did to her.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

It'd be awesome if Elizabeth was the one that killed the family because they were turning. But I know that ain't happening. Maybe Granny or Kate killed them because they were turning and recruited the kid by claiming to be US agents.

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Ed Zachary wrote:It'd be awesome if Elizabeth was the one that killed the family because they were turning. But I know that ain't happening. Maybe Granny or Kate killed them because they were turning and recruited the kid by claiming to be US agents.
=D>

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

DARTH wrote: The SEAL is no bitch. Kate is supposed to be trained like P and E yet look how easy the SEAL handled her (very realistic fight scene there.) . . . .

Like how can they really take that kid and put him on the boat to Russia? He's American born and bred and Philip will see this for the cruelty that it is. . . .
I'm glad they made the SEAL a badass. I didn't want him to go out like a bitch.

And yeah I could see Philip not agreeing to sending the kid back to the Motherland. I am still expecting some hard core murder shit that you don't expect. I think it's coming and when it does things are going to be real tense between Phil and Liz.

I can't believe how much I like this fucking show.

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

The scene with Phillip and the pastor was intense. The look on Phillip's face when the pastor told him he "believes", IMO, tells a lot about what's going to happen in the future. I mean, Phillip is already half gone anyway.

Being basically forced to anally rape your wife can't be fun either.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I'm gonna blame the milky-brown wet spot in the seat of my underroos on my nervous anticipation of tonight's episode and not on some age-related gastro issues I'm dealing with right now.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

FUCK! I never thought it would Liz that made the whole connection to shipping a kid off to parts unknown equals a death sentence.

FBI guy is FOOKED! I keep waiting on him to kill his wife's lover.

I know it's a cheap move but I keep expecting the preacher to try and fuck Paige but I don't think it's going to happen. Too cheap.

I hope they don't kill the SEAL too fast and easy. It should be hard and dirty.

I can't fucking wait for next week and next season.
Last edited by Holland Oates on Sun May 18, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Agree

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Well I was right but not for the right reason.

MOTHERFUCKER!

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Yes you were.

Great ending.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

DARTH wrote:Yes you were.

Great ending.
I would have liked to have seen a bit more fight out of the SEAL but he didn't go out like no bitch. I expect the FBI agent to completely lose it next season.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Great finale. With so many possibilities for next season. Hate to see the sexy Russian chick Nina go back to homeland and fight moose and squirrel.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

LMFAO

Shape you asshole.

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

=D> Fuck Yeah,Stan! You don't sell out Mom and Apple Pie for hot Russian Snatch, no mater how deep you go with shit.

She is a casualty of war. :-({|=

:-k Philip ain't liking shit.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Two ways to play next season...

1) KGB goes after Paige, Philip and Elizabeth finally betray the motherland and the TOTAL WAR
2) Somehow Elizabeth convinces Philip that training Paige is a good idea and then TOTAL WAR
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.