Music Festivals

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Music Festivals

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I went to Coachella this weekend. My first BIG music festival. It was pretty fucking cool even though most of the acts there weren't necessarily stuff that I'd typically find myself listening to. It seemed that weekend 2 wasn't quite the same media circus and "look at me" party that weekend 1 was and I was happy for that. I caught a lot of cool, bands and raged my face off in the techno tents. The one drawback was that since we stage hopped as much as possible we ended up about as far back as the soundstage for most of the big acts. It's a decent spot, but you miss out on a lot of the "pit" energy.

I got asked for molly by at least 5 girls who barely looked like they were old enough to have driven themselves to the place. I saw lots of capsules being cracked, tons of weed, etc. Everyone was cool and just having fun. Don't think I saw a single fight. There were smokeshows everywhere, wearing next to nothing. It was awesome. I was, however, highly disappointed in the lack of titty flashing (note to self: attend Burning Man next year).

One thing that I've realized is that I'm not a huge pop-rock fan. Headline bands that I really wanted to see-, QOTSA, Muse, Arcade Fire, weren't all that great. they weren't bad, but I guess I'm kind of at a loss of what to do while I'm watching them. I've been to my share of small venue metal shows and I love getting in the pit but that shit don't happen at these shows. So you just kind of end up bobbing your head or singing along. And I don't really like any of these bands enough to know the words to their songs. Like I said, we were not exactly in the front section for these but still well inside the majority of the crowd.

I had a lot of fun at electronic acts that I'd typically eschew for real instrument bands. Carnage, Duck Sauce, and Dillon Francis were all super fun. The energy level in the Sahara tent reminded me of a raging metal show, which was cool. My wife definitely went full retard for Carnage in the Sahara tent. She was throwing her middle finger in the air, screaming nonsense and jumping around like a little kid. It was hilarious. I also had a lot of fun at the pop/disco-y "fucking music" acts like Chromeo. Again, was with the wife.

Some of the cooler shit that I stumbled upon:

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - I had to see this set by myself because the rest of the crew went to HAIM who I could give a fuck less about. Very cool.
Chromeo - as mentioned above
Girl Talk - sick mashups, crazy party, danced our asses off
Holy Ghost! - Kind of like Chromeo, half-electronic but with real instruments too
Sleigh Bells - some weird 80 metal/techno stuff. The pros call it "noise pop" whatever the hell that is.
Rudimental - wicked cool show, again, electronic music + real instruments. They're doin some cool shit.
Big Gigantic - house + funky sax
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Music Festivals

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Fuck yes the John Spenser Blues Explosion is good.

Probably going to SXSW next year since I'm so close.

My brother went to burning man not too long ago. He premade most of that survival yurt would of shiny materials and also that solar powered air conditioner in the 5 gallon bucket and said he would get cold. He bartered the little jewelry he made for stuff and got high a lot.

Dazed

Post by Dazed »

If yuo're looking to RAGE, hitting Ultra is a must.
All EDM, all the time.
If you really have a craving, come down early in the week as all the DJs worth a shit will be here, partying 24/7...Miami Music Week

Gotta get to Burning Man.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Fuck any young pussy when you were there?

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

DARTH wrote:Fuck any young pussy when you were there?
Just the wife, unfortunately. I was very mad I did not attend one of these things while I was single. Even my wife was making comments (no, I could not parlay that into anything fun).

Shaf - Austin City Limits tickets just went on sale today. http://www.aclfestival.com/

I'm definitely too old/not cool enough for Ultra

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Also... fuck camping. I know you have to at "real" festivals like Burning Man and Sasquatch but I did this one California rich kid style by renting a house on PGA West. It was like a 70's coke palace with glass sculptures and gold fixtures everywhere. Well worth the hundred bucks a night to be able to shower and hang at the pool.

OTOH, if I had a yurt...

Dazed

Post by Dazed »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:I'm definitely too old/not cool enough for Ultra
Fuck that. The best DJs on the planet are also "too old" to be in the damn crowd. Being older means you can do shit right, like renting a room to shower, better chemicals, beter fucking cuz you didn't turn into an e-tard at the festival.

The wife and I caught kaskade last summer, median age was sub 25. The adults hung out mid crowd and then way back on blankets. You get the stink eye from some, but most kids look at you thinking shit, I don't have to grow old and die, i can grow old and still RAGE. Hell some of them got clingy and we had to lose them in the crowd...

Only thing keeping us from burning man is the camping thing, 4-5 days without a shower, kind of a deal breaker.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I got laid twice at Lollapalozza in 1991.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I got laid twice at Lollapalozza in 1991.
Was he handsome and well hung?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

terra

Post by terra »

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

milosz

Post by milosz »

Sleigh Bells are fun in 2:45 increments, any more than that and I start to hate them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGtB6K8q8k[/youtube]

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

milosz wrote:Sleigh Bells are fun in 2:45 increments, any more than that and I start to hate them.

Sort of agree on that, they were super fun though. Plus, WOULD.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Agree with all of this.
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
milosz wrote:Sleigh Bells are fun in 2:45 increments, any more than that and I start to hate them.

Sort of agree on that, they were super fun though. Plus, WOULD.

milosz

Post by milosz »

She's not really attractive but I want to fuck the chick from Best Coast.

milosz

Post by milosz »

scratch that, she seems to have lost some weight. Definite would.