Mad Men

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Mad Men

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:You can just tell she likes anal
Of course, she does...because she's perfect.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:If I could just somehow get a message to her I know it could work out for us.
I thought she was Cougie?
If people could have been cool we prolly could have gotten some IGx'ers laid and there's no doubt that Cougie was three input. I miss her. Cougie come back! Any other fool could see...we were wrong and we just can't live without you!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:You can just tell she likes anal
Of course, she does...because she's perfect.
I'd rim her first, then she'd really like it! :finga:

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I don't just offer this up to anyone but if Ms. Hendricks said hey Shapebaby, you can do anything you want to me and put it anywhere but first I've got to climb up on you and take a dump on your chest, I'm most likely going to be down for this. Maybe have a couple of Hendricks and tonics though beforehand.

milosz

Post by milosz »

My favorite of the leaked pics, she's like a more yowza version of every chick I fucked in art school.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Mickey O'neil wrote:I could've sworn that there was a Man Men thread in the review forum but couldn't find it. Anybody know of one? I thought Shape started.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=221394
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

JimZipCode wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I could've sworn that there was a Man Men thread in the review forum but couldn't find it. Anybody know of one? I thought Shape started.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=221394
Thanks, Jim!

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

April 7 my horny brothers and sisters. Be ready to get your Mad Men freak on! Party at Shape's house!!

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Bueler? Class? Anyone?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Well I've been watching but didn't think anyone else was.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Shape, if you saw it Sunday night, read on. If not ***SPOILER ALERT***

When Ginsberg (I think that's his name,) goes nuts, cuts his nipple off, and has to be carried out of the office, in restraints on a stretcher, do you see that as any kind of "crash and burn" foreshadowing for Draper in light of Don (doing a 3-way and) crashing the secret pitch meeting ?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Cayenne...hadn't watched that episode but I caught up last night. I think Don's been teetering on the edge for awhile but I think he's going to come out on top. That was a crazy scene with Megan and the hot redhead though. Don was all like wtf? but then went along with the action. I thought that was a cool boss-player move to walk in uninvited to that tobacco company meeting.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Yeah, I really liked that walking-into-the-meeting-uninvited move as well ! Still, there was something about the other ad exec saying to Don, "You think this is going to help you?" juxtaposed against Ginsberg losing it, that made me think that they are trying to show Don spiraling down the toilet.

I just started watching this show's recent episodes, and that led me to take Season 1 out on DVD. (It is part of my daily C2 erging to watch great programs.) I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to having watched the whole series by the time it ends next year.

I saw an old post here where you referenced the power of the show for "children of the 60s,etc." I was born in 1960 and have 2 older siblings, so all the references to the culture of the time really, really hit home. It is amazing how they've captured not just gross changes (eg clothing fashions,) but so many subtle social artifacts of the times. (Most especially, the way the "role" of women in society has evolved.)

In episode 2 or 3, there was a scene where the Draper daughter (Sally?) is running around with a plastic dry cleaning bag over her head. The sight of that was shocking to me and I was expecting Betty to let her have it. Betty did scold her, but not for the safety aspect. Rather, b/c, "Sally, if you did not hang up the clothes you took out of that bag, you will be in big trouble! etc." I guess this was all before people realized the danger of those bags to kids. This sort of "being transported to a different mind-set is repeated throughout the program.

Again, really enjoying it.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

I loathe that Scientology freak Elizabeth Moss who plays Peggy. What a twat. Every time Draper's wife smiles, I want to cry looking at those snuggle teeth.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

The hate is strong in BFly and I understand your point. I'm just a bit more tolerant is all.

Cayenne, a regular network show on ABC, NBC, CBS wouldn't show us the real deal. Like the dry cleaner bag or one of my favorites from season four maybe when Don and Betty were still together and Betty had the neighbor over who was like 8 months pregnant and she had a glass full of whiskey in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Now I realize I'm way more into this show than an adult male should be but regardless the partner's treatment of Don and his somewhat meltdown with Hershey at the end of last season is way over the top. They act like he almost singlehandedly destroyed SCDP when he just told them an honest story knowing full well they weren't getting the account. I'll remind you that Roger did a most awesome but complete blowup with Honda, I think it was in season 5, and all they did was usher him out of the room. That was one of my favorite episodes ever. What made that episode so fucking great is for those of us who's fathers fought in WW2, the men who came back from the Pacific were not down with any forgive and forget shit...I can only speak from memory of those that I knew, but my dad and some of his friends hated till their last breath anything and everything to do with the Japanese. And when Roger went apeshit about doing business with Honda it made me remember my dad doing the same thing on more than one occasion. Roger said something like...who decided forgiveness should replace loyalty...which was about the most awesome line ever since his character was a destroyer captain in WW2.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

I am simultaneously watching the latest episodes and semi-binge-watching from season 1, for the first time. So, you are referencing some stuff I've not seen, but I really don't care about spoilers, etc. Even knowing, in some episodes, what is coming, I still enjoy how it unfolds in the storytelling.

Your examples are exactly what I, Child of the 60s & 70s, am talking about. The pregnant lady smoking and drinking, etc.

I had no relatives that fought in the Pacific theater but I definitely remember the hatred of Japanese by adults I knew, (some of whom were probably veterans.)

I have teenage kids and although you can learn about stuff you didn't experience in books and movies, the familiar sense of the "zeitgeist," is certainly strongest when lived through. For example, I remember when cigarettes were ubiquitous. It is powerful to see that society-memory come to life the way it's portrayed on MM.

Shape, if I haven't put you to sleep yet, do you remember the episode where Don left his daughter's birthday party to get a cake and didn't return? WTF? What was your take on that ? (This might be a stretch, but I thought that Betty's tone in asking him to get the cake, which was not only a necessary task, but also an intrusion into his, at that point, innocent moment with divorcee Helen Bishop, had prompted him to do the disappearance as a sort of "F" you. Agree? That is some excellent, subtle writing.)

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I was wrong about this one. Shape saw the corn among the poops, and I apologize for not backing his play.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Blade, it's cool brother. We can't always be on the same page but as long as we can at least hear each other out that's all that matters.

Cayenne, yes I do remember it clearly because I lived through shit like that. Tom Brokaw coined the term "greatest generation" for those that grew up during the depression and fought during WW2 and I will agree with him but I'll also add an asterisk to that along with the notion that they were also the most hard-headed, secretive, and and self-destructive generation too. Granted they had it tough, tougher than anyone could ever really understand and when you come back alive and try to deal with all that horrible shit, well not everyone is going to tuck it away. My dad was a habitual two steps forward, three steps back guy. He would fuck up things right when it was going great. Somebody would say good morning the wrong way and he'd stomp the shit out of everyone in the immediate vicinity them come home tell mom and I to pack our shit. It wasn't uncommon for him to take off for days at a time. He'd tell me he's coming to pick me up at school and then no show. Man I got tired of that shit. But as I got older I came to realize they had so much to deal with and were expected to keep that to themselves and not ask for help or understanding. Drinking, fighting, etc. was their way of dealing with it.

Since you're not caught up all the way on the show I don't want to ruin anything but you do know that Don's character is a Korean War veteran, right?

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

No worries on the spoilers. Sharing your, " Now I realize I'm way more into this show than an adult male should be," affliction, I read the Wikipedia entry for "Don Draper." I got the whole false identity thing. Very strange aspect of the story. I don't know if that is "mere" story, or (am I looking to deeply and distorting?) some commentary on (from the author's view,) the "false identity" of American character, lived out in the Viet Nam era, especially via the advertising industry, i.e, folks who thrive on, "mass deception" in pursuit of the buck.

(Ha! I recently watched the episode where Don's "drop in whenever you want and do me," GF gets a visit from her beatnik-like BF. The 3 of them go to some dump with completely stupid performance art in Greenwich Village. The beatnik, finding out Don's in advertising, essentially says how Don's industry pimps consumer products, etc., and asks Don "How do you sleep at night?" "On a bed of money," Draper replies. Love it. )

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

What say you Cayenne and BFly? Did you watch the last episode from Sunday? I don't want to say anything if you haven't watched it yet.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Best season ever. I loved every episode. The acting is so good. The Ginsburg thing was a little weird. Harry Hamlin raising his hand and saying it's a lot of money was funny as well.

Don and his wife story line was like a lot of marriages. Women get ignored for awhile and then when they try and our quasi rejected, the towel is thrown in. Loved the 3way. I mean, Jon Hamm does such a great job playing Don Draper. So stiff, wooden and stoic. Shape, you are so right about the greatest generation guys. You nailed it.

Roger is one of the funniest characters on television.

Is there any doubt Enero Jones is the same as her character in real life? Just icy, but I'd throw it in her nostrils.

Not into Joan. not my type, but whatever. Lou is a douchebag.

Pete Campbell is such a slime bag. Just nothing but sleaze coming out of him.

I can't believe I have to wait a year for the next 7.

How about Harry taking it up the ass hard at the end? Oh yeah, snooze you lose.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Good assessment of the season and every episode has been particularly good...I don't know if that's actually true or I know it's ending and I'm assigning more meaning to it than it deserves.

Certainly Don Draper is one of the most awesome characters ever developed in film and if Don is #1 I think Roger is #1A. I loved how he rose to the occasion and found a solution. I think Bert's comment to him about not being a leader stung a little bit and given what we've seen of his lifestyle he probably agreed. But he was at one point a leader of men and he took decisive action to rectify the situation.

Joan's character has irritated the shit out of me...finally we see...she's just in it for the cash. Can't blame her though.

Isn't it funny about Pete Campbell...just when he seems to get it together and his character becomes likable he'll do something that makes you want to slap the shit out of him.

Beware all un-groomed vaginas in the New York area...Don Draper is free and clear and in the vicinity.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Some MM ramblings:

As I've mentioned, I've been "binge watching" Mad Men. I DVR'd this latest season and I'm watching from the beginning, now up to season 2 on DVD. (Just saw the weird stuff where Glenn, the kid from down the block, comes over to gawk at Betty Draper.) I also just watched Sunday's episode. The MM overload I'm doing has really worked into my brain. As I'm going through my day, I'll have thoughts that flash through my mind, remembering various scenes or thinking about points made.

What is it with Don Draper? Women are constantly throwing themselves at him. He doesn't really flirt, they go for him. Constantly.

I find myself fascinated by his "code of honor." He can lie to his wife w/o blinking yet, aggressively tell another man in an elevator to take his hat off when a woman is in the elevator with them...or, he can tell off his subordinates for making fun of Freddy Rumsen peeing his pants, showing his loyalty.

Roger has such an ease and self-confidence about him, a very likable character.

2 characters that I remember from decades ago, but had not seen in a very long time are on the show. Robert Morse and Harry Hamlin. Both looked familiar and then when I saw their names on the credits I was stunned, like seeing a high school friend who has aged dramatically.

Cooper's "The best things in life are free" was so...gay :-) In a good way. I really enjoyed it and thought it was sweet. Good times ahead for DD, or a false happy ending b/f a hard fall?

(Funnny, I recently saw the episode from Season 2 where Betty's dad is getting dementia. Betty's brother, when asked how long Dad's not been well, says, "He acted queer last week at the golf course, etc." It reminded me of a time when the word actually had more than one usage. Another one of those, "capturing the 60s in subtle ways," moments, which the show if full of.)

Have you heard this internet rumor that Don Draper will end up being DB Cooper?

I'll probably post some more stream of consciousness observations as they come up.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Double post deleted.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Shape, agree with you about Pete Campbell being detestable. Also really enjoyed how Roger pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

The passing of the old (Cooper) during the lunar landing seemed an obvious, "it's a new era" symbol.

BFly, I also thought Hamlin "going for the money" was "funny b/c it's true." He was outvoted and it was now inevitable and, yeah, it's a lot of money. A'int that so much of what makes the world go round...?