The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

There is corn in nearly every poop. Good people do good things, bad people do bad things. CrossFit has fuck all to do with either other than the people at the top running it are doing consistently bad things. They lie and cripple people out of hubris. They do this for money.

That, at a minimum, is bad business.

Community is laughable. Well crafted manipulation of social media is not community. People who go to the same barber for 30 years is community.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Jay

Post by Jay »

I suspect I don't give a fuck how old you are.

And I'm not as young as you think.

Apologists? No. Some of you are so negative you are approaching quack levels of idiocy.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Community is social networking at times. Unless you're still stuck in the 1980s.

It's viable and it works for them.

I would never do crossfit again, I have no desire to. I also would never absolve them of shitty methods of running their business and the way they act at times; but they have thousands of people who love the workouts and enjoy the camaraderie of their gyms.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Negative:

I've spent hundreds of hours working with these people in person, on the phone helping them make their practices better, learning...I count several of them as among the very best people I have ever known. If it's negativity to point out the obvious (hey buddy...that's probably not a good idea, here's why) and it's negativity to make a note when a business engages in truly despicable practices, if it's negativity to call out your neighbor for shitting up the public street with rubbish...well then . We need more of that. A Lot More.

Jay

Post by Jay »

It's just exercise. Thats all.

Blame hq for their shit, but at the end of the day the participants are still buying memberships and you're waiting for some fictional bubble to break.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

The whole thing has me discombobulated...on the one hand I have a son who's joined a Crossfit gym a couple of years ago who told me a month or so ago he power cleaned 225. He would have never done that in any other gym or fashion and I can't shit on that. Then on the other hand my 60 year old next door neighbor has had surgery on her shoulder from whatever Crossfit shit she's been doing.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

As the apologists grow ever more shrill and think ever less clearly, ask yourself, would I send my mom to this gym?

I mean...it's just exercise right? Or wait..not it's just Community Right?...uh..wait, no...
Last edited by Blaidd Drwg on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Negative:

I've spent hundreds of hours working with these people in person, on the phone helping them make their practices better, learning...I count several of them as among the very best people I have ever known. If it's negativity to point out the obvious (hey buddy...that's probably not a good idea, here's why) and it's negativity to make a note when a business engages in truly despicable practices, if it's negativity to call out your neighbor for shitting up the public street with rubbish...well then . We need more of that. A Lot More.
Yes. Seriously. I've worked with boxes, conducted workshops, yada yada. I guess that somehow makes me a hater...

Yorkie
Corporal

Post by Yorkie »

Word is (e) lizbeth darsh - former main site forum police has been let go by hq.
Orissa that Lynne Pitts I'm thinking of ?

Jonny Canuck
Gunny

Post by Jonny Canuck »

Cave Canem wrote: You can get a year or two of @fit here for less than $100 month (going rate is $150-$200+) just by using Groupon and switching gyms every time the deal expires.
I see a lot of groupon and Facebook ads targeting members from other boxes. There is a lot of heavy discounting going on.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Yorkie wrote:Word is (e) lizbeth darsh - former main site forum police has been let go by hq.
Orissa that Lynne Pitts I'm thinking of ?
From FB;
Lisbeth Darsh
3 hrs · Santa Cruz, CA ·
Friends, as of Monday, I am no longer with CrossFit HQ. I've loved my six years leading this amazing CrossFit community, but the decision was made to let me go.
I stand at a new place in life. Change is scary, but it's also thrilling! Spread the word, please. I'm looking for new opportunities! You can reach me here, or at [email protected]
THANK YOU! I love you all!
Tantum validus superstes

Yorkie
Corporal

Post by Yorkie »

Cheers cave canem
Did she run the forum for a while ? Or am I mistaken ?

cimes
Sgt. Major

Post by cimes »

I may have missed this here already but, According to FB Lisa Lugo was also "let go" late last week.
"I predict that within the next couple years he will author a Dragon Door book possibly with Pavel called "Return to the Kettlebell"" -Sandman on Rant

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

It's becoming a big company. Bigger companies need to be professionally run, so employees' skills either grow fast or go away.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

cimes wrote:I may have missed this here already but, According to FB Lisa Lugo was also "let go" late last week.
From county?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:As Boris has pointed out...8 years is a blip. If you are building a business with less than 15years as a horizon...well you're not building a business at all, you're building a commodity..a commodity in this case which is diluted, and corrupted.

This forums suffers from a NOTLIVINGINTHEREALWORLD syndrome (see related head up own ass) The rest of the country is not conversant in 531 this, Westside that, hell...most people know nothing and care less about what a WOD is. What matters is that every time I hear the word CrossFit in a gen pop setting, I immediately hear a horror story of someone who knew someone who got terribly injured. When my indolent rich lazy clients are conversant in the patella reattachment and SLAP tears....that shit is going down. Ask a new affiliate how much money they are making...CF as it exists now is pure MLM, the people making actual bux are rogue and reebok.

And above all...anything...absolutely anything that requires pure junk yard dog shrillness to defend itself is not a sustainable practice. Like the DotCom bubble, real money will have been made, and real dollars will have been lost, and a permanent dent will have been left in the market. But 5 years from now the conversation will be all about how can I open my box with crippling insurance premiums, and landlords who know to never ever rent a space to these people. You can only eat your own young and scorch the earth for so long.
I think growth is slowing, but I don't think this scenario will play out

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Lisa Lugo and Liz Darsh...no longer CFHQ employees

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post Crossfit S&C singularity? Lost and forgotten garage, basement, storage unit and studio gyms? Just last year a guy bought a building in Saginaw, Unboarded another door and went in and there was an old boxing gym in there, bags, rings, towel hanging from a hook, bucket, gloves, and everything that just got closed up and walked away from when boxing gyms were no longer viable.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Matt Vincent...seems to love Crossfit, just like Bell and Burdick

Jay

Post by Jay »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:As the apologists grow ever more shrill and think ever less clearly, ask yourself, would I send my mom to this gym?

I mean...it's just exercise right? Or wait..not it's just Community Right?...uh..wait, no...
I would send my mom to a CF gym that has a good trainer.

If you want to blame CF for shit trainers, run down the line of every cert in the business and you will find shit-ass trainers in all of them.

It is just exercise, but its also a community for these people. I don't give a shit if they want to pump it up like some cult for themselves, if they are enjoying it more power to them.

For every injury you find from CF, there are dozens of people who never get hurt.

You're letting the hate cloud what reality is, maybe the growth isn't blasting like it was a couple years ago, but they are still growing, still making money and will be around for a while.

There is some bad in it, and there is good in it as well.

But, again, you can look at fucking bodybuilding, strongman, powerlifting, sports performance training and say the same damn thing.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Post Crossfit S&C singularity? Lost and forgotten garage, basement, storage unit and studio gyms? Just last year a guy bought a building in Saginaw, Unboarded another door and went in and there was an old boxing gym in there, bags, rings, towel hanging from a hook, bucket, gloves, and everything that just got closed up and walked away from when boxing gyms were no longer viable.
Was his name Ray Donovan?
Tantum validus superstes

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

We have a long history here of using the most weird templates for defining relevance.... We tend to use what we know but using BB, Pl, SM and HG as any sort of validation is dubious at best. These are all fun little niches' but mean full all in the larger world. Vincent, charming and incredible an athlete as he is at training himself is not someone I'd look to for thoughtfulness in S&C for gen pop.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Lisa Lugo and Liz Darsh...no longer CFHQ employees

This is what happens when the Head Bull is dipping his pen in your ink well and you fuck up and get pregnant, and then refuse to get an abortion. They cast you aside for younger, nubile pieces of ass to pillage and work to death.

I see it all the time.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Jay wrote:

I would send my mom to a CF gym that has a good trainer.
So would I. I know of TWO...TWO total.
Jay wrote: If you want to blame CF for shit trainers, run down the line of every cert in the business and you will find shit-ass trainers in all of them.
No one is saying that..No one is talking about the dearth of good teaching in the broader PT world. Saying CF is not bad compared to the alt only works to the degree CF accepts it is part of the larger PT world. It does not....it holds itself out as something different.
Jay wrote: It is just exercise, but its also a community for these people. I don't give a shit if they want to pump it up like some cult for themselves, if they are enjoying it more power to them.
There are all sorts of communities that engage in destructive practices. Since when did we stop calling bullshit bullshit?
Jay wrote:For every injury you find from CF, there are dozens of people who never get hurt.
This is almost incomprehensibly dumb. By way of your rubric, we can give a pass to anyone who injures less than 10% of their members.

Jay wrote: You're letting the hate cloud what reality is, maybe the growth isn't blasting like it was a couple years ago, but they are still growing, still making money and will be around for a while.

You have been internetting long enoguh to know to read what is being written right? Boris and I have both donated gobs of time to helping CF boxes do better. That's all Love.

Jay wrote: There is some bad in it, and there is good in it as well. But, again, you can look at fucking bodybuilding, strongman, powerlifting, sports performance training and say the same damn thing.
Ummm....No.

Fringe sports are not good metric for anything other than people's rabid dedication to odd ideas. Outer edge "fitness" related games, BB, SM, PL (and a bunch of other fringes sports for that matter, MMA, MX, BMX, KungFu, Rugby...) are littered with utterly retarded ideas that get people hurt everyday. None of the ones I've been involved in have held themselves out as a universal system for health and wellness. If you do that, expect to have to defend the territory. If you are Rx'ing for all...you had better be able to back up that your system is above all, safe, then it's effective, then it's fun for the whole famdamnly

You know very well that if someone showed up to an events training day with a SM crew talking about how healthy this activity was he'd be laughed into the dirt.

Seriously Jay..I love you man but use that lovely dome of yours. Think. Don't type...Think.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

So the NCSA just filed their replyto that Crossfit lawsuit about the study in which, allegedly, the study incorrectly reported that several of the participants dropped out due to injuries.

Due to the form of the response, it doesn't make for the most thrilling reading, but if I can translate from legalese to English for a minute, it basically reads as:

bro

bro

BRO

u mad?