The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Boris

Re: The couch thread

Post by Boris »

I didn't know who the Russel guy was until I saw this on my feed this morning (Russell and Rippetoe on ESPN): http://media.crossfit.com/awset/OTL_%20 ... fc6_HD.mp4

I recognized him from that KStarr round-table knees-out thing that I wasted a half hour on a while back...

Neither did very well w. the topic... but the topic of random programming is always a good one.

Here's my thing, every time the main page WOD is brought up, a dozen people scream "NO ONE FOLLOWS THE MAIN PAGE WOD!!!!!". I don't follow things enough to know for sure, but when I took the time to check some affiliate pages a year ago or so, there are more than a few affiliates that have WODs published on their webpages that mirror/follow the workout posted on crossfit.com

I'd be curious how (or even if) programming is taught in L1, L2, or Lgrandmaster, but I suppose I'll never know unless I want to fork over the cash to find out myself.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

There is no programming. No programming. They talk about stuff you can mix together and characterize stuff and then say do it all.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Are people still getting rhabdo'd from GHR situps times infinity?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

syaigh wrote:There is no programming. No programming. They talk about stuff you can mix together and characterize stuff and then say do it all.
Funny how Russell defends that there is and the problem is you don't understand the programming. It makes no sense at all - if the programming is highly complex and proprietary, then how can anyone schlub with a weekend certification program his own @fit workouts and charge people $200 per month to do them?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

neither berger nor greene understand programming worth a fuck

greene is the smarter of the two, and he's got a more agile mind, berger is the one that they sic on people because he's an unimaginative doofus.

they are saying now, basically, that everything is crossfit, not just the mainpage stuff.

Really,what's going to happen to Crossfit is that it becomes a generic name like Pilates...despite how hard they are trying, you ask a Crossfitter what they do in they gym they say "Crossfit" and you know exactly what they mean.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

The cunts talking about Crossfit being anti-fragile make me howl with laughter...mostly due to the fact that they've sucked Taleb's dick so hard that his jiz is coming out their asshole.

Boris

Post by Boris »

=D>
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The cunts talking about Crossfit being anti-fragile make me howl with laughter...mostly due to the fact that they've sucked Taleb's dick so hard that his jiz is coming out their asshole.
Every time I hear someone in S&C/fitness use the term anti-fragile it makes me want to hurl.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

And Rippetoe is getting absolutely assraped on FB over his interview and argument with Berger.

Some highlights of that FB thread
-Doof says:The reality is that Crossfit ' s powerlifting instruction took a massive leap forward with the addition of Westside Barbell
-Juggy says: ^maybe one day it will even take a more massive leap forward and hire Juggernaut

- this seriously made me howl with laughter...I wanted to ask Juggy why they fucked over James Smith after he revamped all of their programming. IMO, the future of PL lies with Reactive Training Systems and what they are doing.

-Stevie P says: I literally make a living UNteaching people that retarded Rip style of squatting.
-I really got to go with Pulcinella here, I think they style of squatting that Rip teaches is like the Anti-Jeet Kun Do of squatting...take everything bad and leave everything good.

Mark Valenti says Rippetoe is a dick head

too many lulz

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:-Stevie P says: I literally make a living UNteaching people that retarded Rip style of squatting.

:snigger

Boris

Post by Boris »

Screw 10,000 hours, I'm going with 300 minutes.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I will say one thing, whatever Shane and Laura Phelps Sweatt at Crossfit Conjugate are doing is working pretty damn well, judging from that team's performance in the games.

Also, 100% would for Laura.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Boris wrote:Screw 10,000 hours, I'm going with 300 minutes.
Hence, the appeal of @fit.

The guy that @fit tossed out did a good job of closing with BS that wouldn't be responded to due to time in the interview.
Without @fit, a trainer could easily go out and open any gym they wanted to and use the same methodology.
Anyone who says that @fit Level 1 isn't enough to be able to train others as a personal trainer needs to put that into context by comparing that to all the other industry certifications and seminars and I don't know any other seminar in the fitness industry that has any hands-on training in functional movement.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Can someone describe a "non-functional" movement for me?
Tantum validus superstes

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

Cave Canem wrote:Can someone describe a "non-functional" movement for me?
No, but I can show you a picture...

syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I believe that's 'unknowable' in the vernacular of the industry.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Crust Bucket wrote:
No, but I can show you a picture...

Nope. Definitely found a function for that movement....
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Jay

Post by Jay »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:And Rippetoe is getting absolutely assraped on FB over his interview and argument with Berger.

Some highlights of that FB thread
-Doof says:The reality is that Crossfit ' s powerlifting instruction took a massive leap forward with the addition of Westside Barbell
-Juggy says: ^maybe one day it will even take a more massive leap forward and hire Juggernaut

- this seriously made me howl with laughter...I wanted to ask Juggy why they fucked over James Smith after he revamped all of their programming. IMO, the future of PL lies with Reactive Training Systems and what they are doing.

-Stevie P says: I literally make a living UNteaching people that retarded Rip style of squatting.
-I really got to go with Pulcinella here, I think they style of squatting that Rip teaches is like the Anti-Jeet Kun Do of squatting...take everything bad and leave everything good.

Mark Valenti says Rippetoe is a dick head

too many lulz
the sheer amount of money hungry vultures who wants a piece of the CF pie is staggering. I give CF credit where its due and I hate it a lot less than I used to for sure, but that doesn't mean I would be a part of it.

Rip was a horrible choice for this segment, there are literally several dozen qualified coaches who could present a better argument than Rip's good old boy, arrogant shit.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

It would be fun to have some sort of PPV roundtable sit down with Couch, Rip and Jim Beam.
Shomer Shabbos.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Dan Martin wrote:It would be fun to have some sort of PPV roundtable sit down with Couch, Rip and Jim Beam.

Great idea. The only nitpicking I want to do is propose Jack Daniels instead of Jim Beam.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Dan Martin wrote:It would be fun to have some sort of PPV roundtable sit down with Couch, Rip and Jim Beam.

Great idea. The only nitpicking I want to do is propose Jack Daniels instead of Jim Beam.
Jack would be a waste on those two.
Shomer Shabbos.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Jack is too sweet, I've switched to Beam exclusively.

People who blame Rip for bad squatting should be taken out and maimed. The way he teaches it is a matter of taste not content. Rip's books covered the basics for the masses better than anyone who's EVER tried to. Furhter, fixing a bad low bar gm squat takes about no minutes.

Valenti or Pulcinella calling anyone as ass is a fucking joke. Both of those guys 80% persona, 5% substance and 15% Tren.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I've prevented continued stagnation in the squat by at least 10 people by recommending they adopt the so called 'athletic' back squat popularized by Hatfield.

I can tell when some young lifter is training out of Rip's book, and of they'll be successful with that style or not pretty quickly. The tell is if the posture and positions are forced compared the more moderate positions.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Blaidd Drwg wrote: People who blame Rip for bad squatting should be taken out and maimed. The way he teaches it is a matter of taste not content. Rip's books covered the basics for the masses better than anyone who's EVER tried to. Furhter, fixing a bad low bar gm squat takes about no minutes.

Valenti or Pulcinella calling anyone as ass is a fucking joke. Both of those guys 80% persona, 5% substance and 15% Tren.
THANK YOU.

I just shake my head at all the people who worshipped every word from Rip when he was with CF and now call him a stupid a-hole.

Starting Strength is a great book. Period. I don't agree w. everything he says about the squat. Never have. That doesn't make him full of shit.

As far as the low bar squat goes. Most of the problems I see are people doing the stupid GM thing (yes, that is a Rip instruction problem...), and trying to go ass to ankles w. a low bar position, poor shoulder mobility, and a deadlifter's build... It's not pretty.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The cunts talking about Crossfit being anti-fragile make me howl with laughter...mostly due to the fact that they've sucked Taleb's dick so hard that his jiz is coming out their asshole.
Pavel lays claim to Simple & Sinister being anti-fragile, too.

The term is the title of a best-selling book, so I suppose it's possible that both Pavel and CF independently decide to co-opt it for their use. If the term had just been introduced on the first page and not the title, I'll call BS and assume that either CF or Pavel got the idea from the other one.