It's Swim season again

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

It's Swim season again

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Sorry, no up dates on our Lion hearted Steve Reeves kid. However, I just watched a kid with one foot beat 4 other kids in 500 meter free style.

That was bad ass!
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: It's Swim season again

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Swimming is one sport I wish we had at my HS. My podunk HS was all about the big 3 ball sports and no budget for anything else.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Yep. My boy is deep in working like hell to qualify for state and win.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

They have swimming at the HS my daughters went to but the kids have to drive 20 miles away to another school with a pool...

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Batboy, admittedly, my memory may be way off here, but weren't you telling us last season about a kid who didn't perform well but had a steel will? If so, didn't we analogize him to Steve Rogers, the scrawny but super-brave soldier chosen for the "super-soldier" program in Captain America? (Steve Reeves, a/k/a "Hercules" was the bodybuilder/actor.)

If I'm right, this is why it's good the TV shows I watch start with the "...previously on..." recap.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Ok, word is Steve Rogers graduated last year. That is insane because he looked like he was a sick 10yr old. Plus I thought he was a freshman.

The original story on this kid.

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... rt#p773581
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

Boris

Post by Boris »

I'm back on the pool deck these days and, not to take a thing away from the Steve Rogers of the swimming world, but there are always a few kids that work waaay too f-king hard and can't ever dial it back long enough to iron out their technique issues.

There's a life and lifting lesson there too, I suppose...

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

I fucking hate swimming. My time in the military just exacerbated it. But it's something I should eventually learn to like or at least tolerate.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:Swimming is one sport I wish we had at my HS. My podunk HS was all about the big 3 ball sports and no budget for anything else.
High School is too late.
I was a pretty strong swimmer from a young age, and a Red Cross certified lifeguard at 15, but never swam competitively, and really only in the summers when the Town pool was open. At 14 I went with a friend to meet his coach. He watched we swim, and told me he would have to put me in the pool with 8 years olds because there were so many technical fine points I would need to learn.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Boris

Post by Boris »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:
Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:Swimming is one sport I wish we had at my HS. My podunk HS was all about the big 3 ball sports and no budget for anything else.
High School is too late.
I was a pretty strong swimmer from a young age, and a Red Cross certified lifeguard at 15, but never swam competitively, and really only in the summers when the Town pool was open. At 14 I went with a friend to meet his coach. He watched we swim, and told me he would have to put me in the pool with 8 years olds because there were so many technical fine points I would need to learn.
It's going to be a blow to the ego for a while, but unless your goal is to be a D1 swimmer, high school's not too late. I've seen enough examples of early starters who never made it past mediocre, and late starters that became very respectable swimmers to know.

edit: I should add that what I just said assumes the presence of good coaching, of course...

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:
High School is too late.

That coach should be beaten with a tire iron.

Three White Lights
Sarge

Post by Three White Lights »

As a former college swimmer, fuck swimming.

I've heard that attitudes about hours and yardage are changing, but I started morning practices when I was 12. 5:30 AM 3 days per week, afternoon practice every day and 4 hours on Saturday.

I learned a lot about time management, earning an engineering degree whilst training 24 hours per week will turn you into a zen master, but I can't imagine that such a ridiculous level of training volume and sleep deprivation is good for adolescents and young adults.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Three White Lights wrote: but I can't imagine that such a ridiculous level of training volume and sleep deprivation is good for adolescents and young adults.
I knew a lot of competitive swimmers and virtually all of them had shoulder surgeries by their early 20s. Pretty telling.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

one of my cousins swam in 2 olympics. used to travel about an hour each way to practice every morning before school.

my brother swam through college. his eyes were red from chlorine for the first 22 years of his life.

no shoulder surgeries.

you fucking canadians need to learn to stop swimming when the water freezes.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

My boy swam a few years in grade school and didn't start back until his freshman year. I don't care if he swims in college but swimming has been good for his attitude and work ethic. Way better for him than any team sport.

My girl has swam every year since kindergarten. Can't wait for her to join the high school team next year as a freshman.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Three White Lights wrote:As a former college swimmer, fuck swimming.

I've heard that attitudes about hours and yardage are changing, but I started morning practices when I was 12. 5:30 AM 3 days per week, afternoon practice every day and 4 hours on Saturday.

I learned a lot about time management, earning an engineering degree whilst training 24 hours per week will turn you into a zen master, but I can't imagine that such a ridiculous level of training volume and sleep deprivation is good for adolescents and young adults.

Get over yourself. My posts about swimming are not about College swimming, HS swimming or swimming in general. Swimming is just the back drop for some awesome scenes of testicular fortitude and over coming adversity.

If swimming did you wrong. Go start a thread in the training forum. This thread is about kids or anyone overcoming the shit sandwich life threw at them. Not your sand in the vagina stories.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Kids sports in this country are a bit of a crapshoot but holy shit what a great venue for kids of modest athletic ability to learn the value of relentlessness. Swimming especially is so mentally taxing I'm impressed that anyone sticks with it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Three White Lights
Sarge

Batboy2/75 wrote:

Get over yourself. My posts about swimming are not about College swimming, HS swimming or swimming in general. Swimming is just the back drop for some awesome scenes of testicular fortitude and over coming adversity.

If swimming did you wrong. Go start a thread in the training forum. This thread is about kids or anyone overcoming the shit sandwich life threw at them. Not your sand in the vagina stories.
Sorry I derailed your thread about a semi-retard with an anecdote about actually competing in the sport.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Three White Lights wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:

Sorry I derailed your thread about a semi-retard with an anecdote about actually competing in the sport.
Hey, what ever floats your boat faggot.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Ed Zachary wrote: I don't care if he _____ in college but _____ has been good for his attitude and work ethic.
THIS. All day long. Whatever sport it is.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Three White Lights
Sarge

Batboy2/75 wrote:
Would you like a participation trophy with that?

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
I'll help you move this along to it's logical conclusion so we can skip the "you're a Nazi/Commie" or "I fucked someone in my family" or "I'll kick your ass" or "I'm reporting you.." and all of the usual internet asshat bullshit your kind engages in.

You are not that interesting or funny. Therefore you are no fun to argue with. We are not here to help you with you reading comprehension or self esteem issues.

So move along little man.

Three White Lights
Sarge

Batboy2/75 wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:
I'll help you move this along to it's logical conclusion so we can skip the "you're a Nazi/Commie" or "I fucked someone in my family" or "I'll kick your ass" or "I'm reporting you.." and all of the usual internet asshat bullshit your kind engages in.

You are not that interesting or funny. Therefore you are no fun to argue with. We are not here to help you with you reading comprehension or self esteem issues.

Read the name of the forum, bitchtits.

Using the word "we" in a personal response implies something about your self esteem. But hey, celebrate mediocrity together. It'll be a nice big retard circle jerk.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:

Read the name of the forum, bitchtits.

Using the word "we" in a personal response implies something about your self esteem. But hey, celebrate mediocrity together. It'll be a nice big retard circle jerk.

Again, you have a cognitive issues. Did someone ban you or lock this thread?

You are free to be an as big of an asshat you apparently are and want to be. It doesn't mean you're free from criticism.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

On a side note, I met plenty of "tough guys" like "three white lights", while in the military. They all usually ended up riding a on a truck never to be seen again after quitting. They thought their mouth or their PT score was enough to get them through RIP. They sadly didn't know what "Heart" was.

The fact that some can't discern between celebrating mediocrity and a celebration of "heart' is very telling.