Bibi

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Bibi

Post by Turdacious »

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party was the clear winner in Tuesday’s election, a near-final tally showed early Wednesday morning, defeating the Zionist Union by a margin of some six seats.

That margin was far more decisive than TV exit polls had predicted when polling booths closed at 10 p.m. on Tuesday. All three TV polls had put Likud and Zionist Union neck-and-neck at 27 seats, albeit with Netanyahu better-placed to form a coalition.

On the basis of those TV polls, Netanyahu hailed a Likud victory, though Herzog initially refused to concede. As counting proceeded through the night, however, the Likud opened a growing margin of victory.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu- ... her-ahead/

Discuss.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Bibi

Post by powerlifter54 »

Apparently the thought of being overrun or run into the Sea by Jawas more than overcame the Economic issues being pushed by the Obama apparachiks.

Unless it was really not ever that close except in mind of the media.

On a brighter note most sororities have less factions involved than an Israeli Election.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

I think we should end our involvement with Israel, and all things Middle East, in-geneal. Get out of bed with Israel, wash our hands of Afghanistan and Iraq/Iran, and GTFO, because we have more pressing matters here that need our attention. Institute a strict "We'll leave you alone if you leave us alone, and we'll nuke you back to the stone age if you come over to our soil and fuck with us" policy. That's where I stand, on these matters.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Institute a strict "We'll leave you alone if you leave us alone, and we'll nuke you back to the stone age if you come over to our soil and fuck with us" policy.
I used to think that. Now I believe we have to disconnect the maniacs from nukes, guns & money. We can't allow Muhammad access to modern weaponry...just like not allowing the criminally insane access to firearms.

Curious - would you have nuked Afghanistan (or any other identified player) after 9/11?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

johno wrote:I used to think that. Now I believe we have to disconnect the maniacs from nukes, guns & money.
If this includes Israelis, I agree.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
johno wrote:I used to think that. Now I believe we have to disconnect the maniacs from nukes, guns & money.
If not, then you don't agree?

Maybe we could agree to take things in order of priority: #1 - No, no, no nukes for Iran, ever. #2 (maybe) - neutralize the Norc's ability to reach the US.

Re: Bibi - It's refreshing to hear from a leader who is forceful, and dedicated to his country's survival.
Contrast Obama, who sometimes seems equivocal on the US's (and Western Civ's) value to the world. IMO, he'd much rather be King of the World than Prez of the United States.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
If not, then you don't agree?
No. Both sides have given into religious fanaticism and there's no future for a democratic Israel that doesn't involve the establishment of a Palestinian state. Bibi wants no Palestinian state, so he's part of the problem. It's crazy to pay the tab and put a target on our own backs.

Israel has nukes and will never be invaded again. Nobody's pushing them into the sea, ever.
Re: Bibi - It's refreshing to hear from a leader who is forceful, and dedicated to his country's survival.
The problem Israel has is it needs a peacemaker or deal-maker, which Bibi isn't. There is no military solution to the the conflict with the Palestinians short of ethnic cleansing.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:There is no military solution to the the conflict with the Palestinians short of ethnic cleansing.
There's been nothing BUT a military solution since Israel's birth. It's a Game of Thrones world, Baby.

W.B. Yeats

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

You learned all that from this incident, Spells?

The issue with the Palestinian state is that it would be like ISIS having Georgia...you know that all sorts of skullduggery and fuckery will happen once they establish control. Neither the average Jew or Muslim citizen of the area wants all the stupid shit, it's just like anywhere else, all the bullshit is perpetrated by a few assholes on either side.

Briefly touched base with an acquaintance from Israel...PL54 said "Unless it was really not ever that close except in mind of the media." And that was the gist of the Israeli opinion on the matter. I am totally unsure why the Obama administration ever attempted to fuck around in any way with this, but it was a bad idea. Ultimately you cannot let the nutballs get entrenched like the Sauds have.

The Sauds are clearly the big puppetmasters in the region, but the US politicians can't let go of the dirty money they are getting from their support.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:There is no military solution to the the conflict with the Palestinians short of ethnic cleansing.
There's been nothing BUT a military solution since Israel's birth. It's a Game of Thrones world, Baby.
I think we're using different versions of "solution." I mean actually solving the issue.
Shaf wrote:You learned all that from this incident, Spells?
I'm not sure what incident you're referring to. Bibi came publicly out against Palestinian statehood. There's no solution to the conflict that doesn't involve either a Palestinian state, ethnically cleansing Israel, or denying Arab Israelis the vote. If Israel is going for options 2 or 3, we shouldn't be paying for it. There's no upside for us and incredible potential blowback.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

johno wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:Institute a strict "We'll leave you alone if you leave us alone, and we'll nuke you back to the stone age if you come over to our soil and fuck with us" policy.
I used to think that. Now I believe we have to disconnect the maniacs from nukes, guns & money. We can't allow Muhammad access to modern weaponry...just like not allowing the criminally insane access to firearms.

Curious - would you have nuked Afghanistan (or any other identified player) after 9/11?
If we're speaking in hypotheticals, here's my answer:

NO, and here's why:

We made a big mess in the middle east, first when we helped England sell Israel out from under the Palestinians, and later, when we began meddling in the affairs of Iran, and also were arming the Afghanis who later turned out to be the Taliban. What I would have done, would have been akin to what we did much later- assassinate the Taliban leaders. And it would have ended THERE. NO HALIBURTON. NO 2ND. WAR IN IRAQ. NO CAMPAIGN IN AFGHANISTAN. Instead- "We killed Bin Laden. Deal with it. Try any of that crazy bullshit again, and I will bomb the living fuck out of ANYPLACE in your country with a population of over 50 people. Keep it off American soil, and we will live in peace."

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote: "We killed Bin Laden. Deal with it. Try any of that crazy bullshit again, and I will bomb the living fuck out of ANYPLACE in your country with a population of over 50 people. Keep it off American soil, and we will live in peace."
Agree with this.

But after that is gets complicated with a similar simple answer. The Palestinian State would only be an expanded Gaza with all the problems that brings. The Jawas have been offered most of the West Bank and turned it down. The 67 borders is a nonstarter. The 2 state solution has been a normal second term president legacy building mirage for every president who has tried it.

They don't get along. Israel is not leaving. The Jawas are not going to stop terrorism and rocket attacks. So Israel basically says "We won every war you Jawas started. Deal with it. Try any of that crazy bullshit again, and we will bomb the living fuck out of wherever we believe that attack was initiated. Diplomatically glance at SA and Iran while saying it. Keep off our Soil and we will live in Peace. "

And the Us President says "What they said". Then we quietly tell Sunni Arabia and Shiaran you can do whatever you want in your own country and with your friends, but touch one hair on the head of any American or our Allies and wall to wall fuck all begins.

Jawas understand buggery and pure force. In that order.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote: We made a big mess in the middle east
NO. The Middle East is a big mess. We put our bootprint in the turd, that's all. It was always a turd.

W.B. Yeats

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Fortunately, none of the religious texts from that area include stories in which God orders his people to commit genocide.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Swamp Fox
Sarge

Post by Swamp Fox »

Pinky wrote:
Fortunately, none of the religious texts from that area include stories in which God orders his people to commit genocide.
I thought that the Quran held some statement about the true believers ridding the world of the “Infidel”, also possibly separately the “Crusaders”. By numerous Fatwas I believe we have been extended the courtesy of being considered both Infidel and Crusader by the faithful.
YOIAIAMO!

Swamp Fox
Sarge

Post by Swamp Fox »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:I think we should end our involvement with Israel, and all things Middle East, in-geneal. Get out of bed with Israel, wash our hands of Afghanistan and Iraq/Iran, and GTFO, because we have more pressing matters here that need our attention. Institute a strict "We'll leave you alone if you leave us alone, and we'll nuke you back to the stone age if you come over to our soil and fuck with us" policy. That's where I stand, on these matters.
While it would be nice to take this simplistic view, the reality is that the world currently runs on oil, the whole, developed, world.

This region controls much of the world’s oil supply, and the way it is brought to market, thereby the price. Through a series of poor decisions made by the world’s leaders this past century, SA and Iran still exist, and wield tremendous political influence on their neighbors, Muslims worldwide, and our Politicians.

These two countries are at each other throats both literally and ideologically. They are currently fighting a proxy war, and have been for ages. They could easily be the catalyst for the next world war.

So………..we can’t just walk away. Our politicians are involved, so they will never make the tough decisions that would be necessary to bring anything like normalcy to the region. Or independence from the region.

It’s a goat fuck, and it’s not going away anytime soon.
YOIAIAMO!

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Bibi came publicly out against Palestinian statehood. There's no solution to the conflict that doesn't involve either a Palestinian state, ethnically cleansing Israel, or denying Arab Israelis the vote. If Israel is going for options 2 or 3, we shouldn't be paying for it. There's no upside for us and incredible potential blowback.
Regarding your options:
1. Does Palestine really want a state and everything that comes with that? Would the people in power still get the same income? It's not like they have a strong economy, and Israel is unlikely to give up any water rights. Can Palestine thrive without donor income? Would they continue to get it?
2. That option is not on the table.
3. Just curious, how many countries in the region give Palestinians who were born within their country the vote? Right or wrong, the regional prejudice against Palestinians is very real.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

johno wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote: We made a big mess in the middle east
NO. The Middle East is a big mess. We put our bootprint in the turd, that's all. It was always a turd.
Okay yeah, that is Truthiness, for sure. And we shouldn't have allowed ourselves to step in it, to begin with.