Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Post by Beer Jew »

Anyone have any experiences either themselves or people close to them with CFS/ME?

My wife had glandular fever a couple of years ago for about six months, and has never fully recovered. Her symptoms seem to suggest CFS/ME with some depression thrown in for good measure.

Interested in hearing any experiences. If you'd prefer, feel free to PM me.

Boris

Re: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Post by Boris »

Sent you a pm

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Don't know the age, but get a blood work up with complete hormonal including all aspects of Thyroid. I'm around a lot of women in my age group who have to play chemist to manage, along with fitness, diet, etc..
Any questions, ask.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

Tom

She had a full blood test done recently and was told all was fine.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Beer Jew wrote:Anyone have any experiences either themselves or people close to them with CFS/ME?
The only guy I know with Chronic Favg Syndrome started this trhead.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

TomFurman wrote:Don't know the age, but get a blood work up with complete hormonal including all aspects of Thyroid. I'm around a lot of women in my age group who have to play chemist to manage, along with fitness, diet, etc..
Any questions, ask.
+1 on thyroid. Diagnosing hypothyroidism by blood tests is fallacious. Similar to diagnosing diabetes by testing insulin levels. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is certainly a complex and multifactorial issue, but I have personal experience where desiccated thyroid pretty much cured it.

A good primer in popular language (and a very good website): http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ch ... -syndrome/

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

It's probably the gluten. Not sure why but women with CFS seem to hate the gluten.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Tom
Sarge

Post by Tom »

Similar to diagnosing diabetes by testing insulin levels.
Ivor Cummins posted an interesting video on that
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nV-_ddXoc[/youtube]

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Is that old guy on Instagram?

I don't trust any expert who isn't on Instagram.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I developed hypothyroidism and no one diagnosed it until I spent a week in the hospital for a chronic migraine (I had a migraine for six months). This was even after having half my thyroid removed because I grew a large complex cyst on it. I didn't develop migraines until the tumor showed up and I was sleeping ten hours a night and taking a three hour nap every day.. It wasn't diagnosed because my tsh and everything else was in the "normal range". Turns out my normal range is at the very bottom of the spectrum and getting treated with synthroid pretty much solved everything. I'm on a very low dose and I adjust it as needed to feel good under the direction tion of my endocrinologist.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

syaigh wrote:I developed hypothyroidism and no one diagnosed it until I spent a week in the hospital for a chronic migraine (I had a migraine for six months). This was even after having half my thyroid removed because I grew a large complex cyst on it. I didn't develop migraines until the tumor showed up and I was sleeping ten hours a night and taking a three hour nap every day.. It wasn't diagnosed because my tsh and everything else was in the "normal range". Turns out my normal range is at the very bottom of the spectrum and getting treated with synthroid pretty much solved everything. I'm on a very low dose and I adjust it as needed to feel good under the direction tion of my endocrinologist.
This is one of the biggest problems of modern medicine: we tend to trust numbers and pictures more than patients' symptoms. Whereas the latter - to make someone actually feel better - is the whole point of treatment in the vast majority of cases.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch »

syaigh wrote:I developed hypothyroidism and no one diagnosed it until I spent a week in the hospital for a chronic migraine (I had a migraine for six months). This was even after having half my thyroid removed because I grew a large complex cyst on it. I didn't develop migraines until the tumor showed up and I was sleeping ten hours a night and taking a three hour nap every day.. It wasn't diagnosed because my tsh and everything else was in the "normal range". Turns out my normal range is at the very bottom of the spectrum and getting treated with synthroid pretty much solved everything. I'm on a very low dose and I adjust it as needed to feel good under the direction tion of my endocrinologist.
May I ask what diagnostic test found it? My wife has had chronic pain for over three years, which developed during pregnancy, and while her TSH has been normal at every blood panel, she's certainly had the sensitivity to cold, dry skin, and a couple of the other non-specific symptoms.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

It wasnt actually "found", my neurologist decided that the thyroid might be the culprit and had an endocrinologist see me in the hospital. If you can, it might just be worth getting a consult with an endocrinologist. They will pick up on things your regular doc wont.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch »

Thank you! We're seeing our doc for an endocrinologist referral this week.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Chris McClinch wrote:Thank you! We're seeing our doc for an endocrinologist referral this week.
Good luck. I live in a decent sized city with a grand total of 1 endocrinologist. He's a fine doctor but wait times were in the six month range.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Post by Chris McClinch »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Chris McClinch wrote:Thank you! We're seeing our doc for an endocrinologist referral this week.
Good luck. I live in a decent sized city with a grand total of 1 endocrinologist. He's a fine doctor but wait times were in the six month range.
Jesus! I'm hoping the DC Metro area will be better, but that's unbelievable.

Yes, I'm drunk

Post by Yes, I'm drunk »

Tom wrote:
Similar to diagnosing diabetes by testing insulin levels.
Ivor Cummins posted an interesting video on that
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nV-_ddXoc[/youtube]
This is what I don't get about the low-carb controversy:

if they're right, the low-carb guys, that it's all about the insulin response (as the old guy is saying here), then that changes everything. Carbs really are evil, and they have to go. There isn't much of a middle-ground there; it really is all or nothing.

terra

Post by terra »

Have had good results with a couple of CFS patients (one young, one older, both female).
Help the autonomic nerve system feel safe (myelinated vagus pathway) - patient improves.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boris

Post by Boris »

I sent this as a PM, but it might be worth posting publicly:

I have more than a few people very close to me w. autoimmune disorders. This may sound like a totally a-holish thing to say but, because it's IGX, I'll go ahead and say it - the psychological component and its role in inflammation and chronic fatigue is, in my opinion, not given its proper due.

I am NOT saying that there are other components but no one is willing to listen to the idea that, for example, their chronic pain or fatigue may be habit of the mind and nervous system. We talked about the idea that pain is a complicated beeyotch in another thread recently and, for me, with lower back pain that totally wrecked my training for 1-2 years, creating better habits of mind and movement is what lead to recovery.

Having said all of that, there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would ever even hint to anyone (let alone my wife) that the cause of pain or fatigue was psychological unless I wanted to be in the dog house for the rest of my (married) life. But, doing what I can to eliminate stressors, encourage proper nutritional, exercise, and sleep habits, etc does/has made a difference.

ccrow
Gunny

Post by ccrow »

Boris wrote:I sent this as a PM, but it might be worth posting publicly:

I have more than a few people very close to me w. autoimmune disorders. This may sound like a totally a-holish thing to say but, because it's IGX, I'll go ahead and say it - the psychological component and its role in inflammation and chronic fatigue is, in my opinion, not given its proper due.

I am NOT saying that there are other components but no one is willing to listen to the idea that, for example, their chronic pain or fatigue may be habit of the mind and nervous system. We talked about the idea that pain is a complicated beeyotch in another thread recently and, for me, with lower back pain that totally wrecked my training for 1-2 years, creating better habits of mind and movement is what lead to recovery.

Having said all of that, there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would ever even hint to anyone (let alone my wife) that the cause of pain or fatigue was psychological unless I wanted to be in the dog house for the rest of my (married) life. But, doing what I can to eliminate stressors, encourage proper nutritional, exercise, and sleep habits, etc does/has made a difference.
+1 Glad you posted that. I know more than one person that had really difficult, hard to pin down maladies that wouldn't respond to anything, become manageable once they got some treatment for their depression. I KNOW their suffering wasn't imaginary, I KNOW it wasn't all in their head, I don't know if the physical caused the mental or vice versa or what, just saying why not pursue both avenues.
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I was going to say, IIRC from school, the symptoms of chronic depression and the symptoms of CFS are pretty much indistinguishable on many fronts. Not saying there's no such thing as CFS (though a case could be made) just saying...if depression is a co-morbid condition with just about anything, chances of finding "The One Thing" that fixes the condition are slim.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

ccrow - chicken and egg I guess. I don't know if it's something physical causing the depression as one of many symptoms, or the depression causing the physical symptoms.

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

TerryB wrote:Is that old guy on Instagram?

I don't trust any expert who isn't on Instagram.
at a bare minimum a twitter account, some sort of honorary doctorate, and be familiar with the use and deployment of kettlebells.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf