Building a cabin from scratch

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Building a cabin from scratch

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Re: Building a cabin from scratch

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I hate to admit this, but I am a tad mechanically spastic. But given I am a father my kids are going to learn how to do all that cool shit with me (along with getting into a tree stand with a bow, shooting guns, cooking, and drawing in charcoal) and hopefully, I can get at least a little good at the carpentry thing. I might have to pay Dunn a visit when I am ready for the next level, though. I just dropped six hundy on a DeWalt cordless tool set last week, in fact. My wife wants project #1 to make her a desk for her new gig from scratch.....I gotta start small.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I don't click links

or have any interest in hipster projects

and make no mistake, pasting your "good ol' fashioned primitive cabin project" online is a hipster project

actually, this gets more annoying the more I think about it

If you have an iPhone and an internet connection, you aren't primitive anything

Cutting down timber, building your own tools, building a house, whatever.

You aren't a settler. You are a guy with a lot of free time and some holes in your self-worth pillow.

Fuck you!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Terry, please edit again and make your reply longer yet. You still sound on the fence about these links.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

This shit, underground homes, and the tiny house movement get me all excited. I don't think I'll ever mess with any of it, but it pulls some kind of primal string.

Minus the stone axe of coarse.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Terry, please edit again and make your reply longer yet. You still sound on the fence about these links.
Guys like this assmunch are why IGx desperately needs Jeek back.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I built a treehouse for my kids that I end up using all the time. Comfortable folding chair, six pack cooler, and a book.
Don’t believe everything you think.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I don't speak to guys who spend $600 . . . on a cordless tool set.

You are what they call, a mark.

And, nafod, stay the hell out of the way!

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:Terry, please edit again and make your reply longer yet. You still sound on the fence about these links.
You guys are the ones all like, "So me and Jack were crocheting and telling each other secrets the other day..." Tell him to stop by.

That being said, I think if more than three E's appear in a word three times, Garm comes back.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

TerryB wrote:I don't speak to guys who spend $600 . . . on a cordless tool set.

Sounds cooler if I call my treehouse a sniper hide.
Don’t believe everything you think.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
You guys are the ones all like, "So me and Jack were crocheting and telling each other secrets the other day..." Tell him to stop by.

That being said, I think if more than three E's appear in a word three times, Garm comes back.
Jeek and I were remotely baking brownies together, not crocheting--get your shit straight; besides you're a FB BFF so you have visibility into all of that. You and Seeahill are pretty much the only sound minded lefties we have left here who has listening skills that make you worth speaking/posting to. You need back-up and I am going to bring it....watch and see....Jeek will be back and if @ or G fucks with him, he'll (Jeek) will have dozens of guys coming out of the woodwork to back him. Different ball o' wax this time. The return of Jeek is imminent, he just doesn't know it, yet.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Coming from you, I'm good with that. As I said, I got to start somewhere and if that's the Crayola of tool kits, than so be it, I am at peace.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

How much did you spend on your mountain bike?

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

TerryB wrote:How much did you spend on your mountain bike?
Mountain Bike was a Bianchi from like 1999 that I bought used for around $400. I gave it away to the the leggy MILF I referenced on another thread, since she's just a really cool person.

I have a Kona that a buddy gave me.....this is the bike I had my accidental 64 mile PR with. So I paid zero for that.

I have a Salsa bike that I paid like $1500 for earlier this year, after paying my taxes. I like the bike (I think) but have had some health issues and have not done a single ride this year greater than 36-37 miles.

Why do you ask? I have a suspicion but care to know vs. guess.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

This stuff, primitive skills, are a fun hobby. This becomes abundantly more true when you have a kid to help and teach.

Back when I was much more a gypsy than I am now, I spent about 8 months living in primitive shelters and occasionally my truck, albeit nothing this grand. It was an interesting time and there's definitely something pleasing about doing this stuff.

For basic carpentry skills, the Internet/YouTube is definitely your friend. A lot of it is actually pretty simple once you understand the basics of joinery and construction. You will fuck up and have to redo stuff but that's what it's all about. When you get it you will slap yourself on the head and see all the mistakes you made in crystal detail.

Also, fuck anyone who says this shit is hipster or some other bullshit. It's more masculine than half the shit out there and fuck anyone who demeans learning ANY manual skill set. Hobbies like this are bonding experiences for you and your kids and also quiet thinking time for when they aren't around.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Shit....I've spent nearly that much on a single wrench.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I on the fence about how primitive they are. They host their crap on Wordpress and haven't even bothered to purchase an actual domain name of their own. Likely hipsters but crap ones at that.

I didn't click on the link, by the way.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Dunn,

I know you're a woodworker and I admire that like crazy. My kids are nine and six and when I taught them to simply whittle this past summer, they totally ate it up and still do it. I can't and won't fight Mindcraft, Pokiemon, et al, because it's simply unfair to them. What I can do, however, is all the other stuff that does not require an internet connection.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:Dunn,

I know you're a woodworker and I admire that like crazy. My kids are nine and six and when I taught them to simply whittle this past summer, they totally ate it up and still do it. I can't and won't fight Mindcraft, Pokiemon, et al, because it's simply unfair to them. What I can do, however, is all the other stuff that does not require an internet connection.
Bingo. This is my goal as well. I can't, and won't, deny that electronic shit can be fun. My goal as a father is illustrate and encourage the fun and satisfaction that can come from being outside and working with your hands. Some of my fondest memories of my dad are concerning stuff like that, and a few are of him teaching me how to play pong on our Atari. Lol. It's a mix but I will be damned if I don't at least try to show him what the world has to offer.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Dunn wrote:For basic carpentry skills, the Internet/YouTube is definitely your friend. A lot of it is actually pretty simple once you understand the basics of joinery and construction. You will fuck up and have to redo stuff but that's what it's all about. When you get it you will slap yourself on the head and see all the mistakes you made in crystal detail.
Simple? Not for me. I'm the most incapable handyman ever born on this planet. Doing stuff with my hands (other than punch or grab and throw) is well beyond my capabilities.

That suits me fine, because I have no interest whatsoever in building things, cooking, painting the room, trimming bushes, changing locks or repairing the sink. I'd much rather pay for those to be done for me.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Not really-- cordless tools that are durable, light weight, and have a long battery life are expensive. I wish I'd had modern cordless tools back when I worked on a ladder all day.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

SubClaw wrote:[
Simple? Not for me. I'm the most incapable handyman ever born on this planet. Doing stuff with my hands (other than punch or grab and throw) is well beyond my capabilities
Fuck you, Subclaw....I am the most incapable handyman ever.

Well, unless you can't change out your light switches and outlets or clean your gutters, then you are indeed the most incapable handyman ever.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Turdacious wrote:

Not really-- cordless tools that are durable, light weight, and have a long battery life are expensive. I wish I'd had modern cordless tools back when I worked on a ladder all day.
I bought the Lowe's brand, Kobalt, the 18v version and quickly realized that is a piece of shit product, so I returned it, doubled down in terms of money spent and convinced the manager to honor the 10% off deal I had the week prior when I got the Kobalt kit. So yeah, I spent (with tax) nearly 6 hundy, but I got 5, 20v DeWalt powertools and a plug-in, DeWalt Sander......and a shit ton of screwdriver and drill bits....all DeWalt. I hear from you goobs who know better than me that DeWalt is pretty good stuff so I feel good about the geeters I spent.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

And, is there a single person here who doesn't thin Terry is a huge douchbag?

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:And, is there a single person here who doesn't thin Terry is a huge douchbag?
Not to mention that there are two of him.

:Proto