New Taboo: Hard Work

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
ccrow
Gunny

New Taboo: Hard Work

Post by ccrow »

I, like all of you, have suspected that we're close, but I think I am going to call it: modern civilization has jumped the shark.
Melissa Harris Perry wrote:“I want us to be super careful when we use the language “hard worker.” I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work really looks like. But in the context of relative privilege, when you talk about work-life balance, the moms who don’t have health care aren’t called hard workers. We call them failures. We call them people who are sucking off the system.”
Mike Rowe wrote:My take Lenny, for what it’s worth, is that there is no longer a limit to what people can be offended by.
From, for the click - fearless: from http://mikerowe.com/2015/10/otw-whatsonyourwall/

and excerpted for the click-scared:
‘Hello Mr. Rowe! What’s your take on MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry being offended by the phrase “hard worker”? How can such a label possibly be offensive to anyone?”

Lenny Kostecki

My take Lenny, for what it’s worth, is that there is no longer a limit to what people can be offended by.

Melissa Harris-Perry appears to be put off by the suggestion that “hard work” is too often linked with success. She doesn’t like the fact that many hard-working individuals have not enjoyed the same measure of success as Speaker Ryan, who was being acknowledged on her show for his excellent work ethic. Here is her response, in her own words…

HARRIS-PERRY: “I want us to be super careful when we use the language “hard worker.” I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work really looks like. But in the context of relative privilege, when you talk about work-life balance, the moms who don’t have health care aren’t called hard workers. We call them failures. We call them people who are sucking off the system.”

To me, it sounds as though Melissa is displaying images of slavery or drudgery in her office to remind herself of what hard work really and truly looks like. That’s a bit like hanging images of rape and bondage to better illustrate the true nature of human sexuality. Whatever her logic might be, it’s difficult to respond without first pointing out a few things that most people will find screamingly obvious. So let’s do that.

First of all, slavery is not “hard work;” it’s forced labor. There’s a big difference. Likewise, slaves are not workers; they are by definition, property. They have no freedom, no hope, and no rights. Yes, they work hard, obviously. But there can be no “work ethic” among slaves, because the slave has no choice in the matter.

Workers on the other hand, have free will. They are free to work as hard as they wish. Or not. The choice is theirs. And their decision to work hard, or not, is not a function of compliance or coercion; it’s a reflection of character and ambition.

This business of conflating hard work with forced labor not only minimizes the importance of a decent work ethic, it diminishes the unspeakable horror of slavery. Unfortunately, people do this all the time. We routinely describe bosses as “slave-drivers,” and paychecks as “slave’s wages.” Melissa though, has come at it from the other side. She’s suggesting that because certain “hard workers” are not as prosperous as other “hard workers,” – like the people on her office wall – we should all be “super-careful” about overly-praising hard work.

I suspect this is because Melissa believes – as do many others – that success today is mostly a function of what she calls, “relative privilege.” This is fancy talk for the simple fact that life is unfair, and some people are born with more advantages than others. It’s also a fine way to prepare the unsuspecting viewer for the extraordinary suggestion that slavery is proof-positive that hard work doesn’t pay off.

Obviously, I don’t see the world the same way as Melissa, but we do have something in common. Like her, I keep a picture on my office wall.

That’s me, squatting next to the most disappointing toilet I’ve ever encountered, preparing to clean it out with a garden trowel. I keep it there to remind me of what happens when you need a plumber but can’t find one.

It’s also a nice reminder that a good plumber these days has a hell of a lot more job security than the average news anchor. (With respect.)

Mike

Mike’s Facebook Page
But when I stand in front of the mirror and really look, I wonder: What the fuck happened here? Jesus Christ. What a beating!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: New Taboo: Hard Work

Post by TerryB »

OUTRAGE!!!!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Damn, Mr. crow, are you just now finding out that this the United States of Semantics? #-o
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Yes Turd! That's how it's done in America. We shit, piss and put nasty chemicals in our drinking water, it's all piped to a processing place,"purified", piped back to our shelters and we drink,piss and shit in it all over again. And the music goes 'round and 'round and it comes out here! =P~
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

no big deal. did you know this:
. . . scientists began with a small pilot study, recruiting forty families in the Raleigh-Durham area to swab nine locations in their homes. When the researchers analyzed these cotton swabs and sequenced the fragments of bacterial DNA that they contained, they found that even the most sparkling houses were teeming with microbial squatters—more than two thousand distinct types, on average. Different rooms formed distinct ecological niches: kitchens were popular among the bacteria that grow on produce, whereas bedroom and bathroom surfaces were colonized by those that typically dwell on the skin. (In a troubling discovery, Dunn and his colleagues learned that, from a microbiological perspective, toilet seats and pillowcases look strikingly similar.)
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... -about-you
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Yes I do know that . It was all covered in a course I took back in 1955. That was even way before Mannatech made me immune to all diseases.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Ironically, Mike Rowe is eagerly looking for a reason to be offended as part of his rebranding to salt of the Earth blue collar conservative. Who on God's earth thinks that a lifelong actor and entertainer who does a show where he drops in momentarily to watch people shovel shit is an authority on 'hard work'?
To me, it sounds as though Melissa is displaying images of slavery or drudgery in her office to remind herself of what hard work really and truly looks like.
No, as a white-collar worker she's displaying images of hard work to remind her of what actual hard work looks like. Whenever my teacher friends whine about how hard their jobs are, I point out that they're not exactly working in a coal mine.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Whatever. Another SJW nigger who sees the world exclusively through the lens of critical race theory. It probably never occurred to her that her white ancestry induced light skin tone is a relative advantage compared to her Aunt Jemima counterparts who would never make it in broadcasting because who wants to look at nostrils you can shove rolls of quarters into with room to spare.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

The funnies thing is that there is very little difference between the cotton slaves and office workers. The latter have the illusion that they work voluntarily.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

Sangoma wrote:The funnies thing is that there is very little difference between the cotton slaves and office workers. The latter have the illusion that they work voluntarily.
Somebody just watched Fight Club for the first time! You should read some Henry Rollins, bro...he like, totally gets how we're all so like, fake and stuff!

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

You kidding me? Fight Club is my favorite movie, I know it by heart! Thanks for pointing Rollins to me, I will look up his books.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

KingSchmaltzBagelHour wrote:
Sangoma wrote:The funnies thing is that there is very little difference between the cotton slaves and office workers. The latter have the illusion that they work voluntarily.
Somebody just watched Fight Club for the first time! You should read some Henry Rollins, bro...he like, totally gets how we're all so like, fake and stuff!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

KingSchmaltzBagelHour wrote:
Hahahahahaha
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality