Decided to try for PA or NP program--in the military

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

CharlieBob
Sarge

Re: Decided to try for PA program--in the military

Post by CharlieBob »

Congratulations! Glad everything is working out! :) So after the 10 months are you staying the Columbus area and drilling?
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

CharlieBob wrote:Congratulations! Glad everything is working out! :) So after the 10 months are you staying the Columbus area and drilling?
For the time being, yep. After all that I am going to spend some time with the wife and examine the options from there with her and we can finalize the game plan and get a time table worked up. The city has to hold my job with the FD so I am coming back to that. If I have it my way, I will be trying to transition to being a paramedic at one of the ER's here, at least part-time (preferably FT), so I can get into a more "clinical" setting. The better pay wouldn't hurt my feelings any either. Pay with the city works out to around $10/hr, while at the ER's it starts at about $18/hr for a paramedic. Kinda silly.

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Update for those who care:

Made it through basic and tech school. Still working at the FD, though I'm currently waiting to hear back from the ER on a possible FT position. I've also tossed my resume in for a flight medic spot in north Atlanta, though I doubt I will get that. If I can get my unit and the VA to get their shit together, nursing school starts January. Got a son now so money is tighter and moving to a higher scope of practice (and pay) is even more important. If that goes well, aiming to commission with the Air Guard as an RN. The wheel keeps on turning.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Decided to try for PA or NP program--in the military

Post by TomFurman »

I admire your assertive drive and hope this all works out. Using your brain and not your back is just plain smart. Use your back for stupid human tricks like martial arts, GS, etc. ;-)
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

TomFurman wrote:I admire your assertive drive and hope this all works out. Using your brain and not your back is just plain smart. Use your back for stupid human tricks like martial arts, GS, etc. ;-)
Thanks Tom. Believe me, I would love to stop reaching and just work and come home but with what we make at the FD, it requires a 2nd job just to stay out of the poorhouse. Since we are already working 120 hrs every two weeks, that's just more time away from home....something that I'm just not ok with. Less time working means more time being a husband and father, ie the important stuff.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

Yes.. much of my life was spent locked in a theater for 60 to 100 hours per week. You can imagine the health and training benefits of that combined with effect on family life.
You are learning well and more importantly, applying.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

No doubt that good opportunities are on the horizon.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:No doubt that good opportunities are on the horizon.
Here's hoping. Coming back from active duty status to the fire department was definitely a kick in the jimmy, both in terms of money and peace of mind. I had half a mind to say fuck it and shoot for an active slot or make an attempt to swap civie careers and capitalize on the electronics degree I got from the AF.

Thanks for the well wishes.