Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Spirit Airlines

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Holy fuck.

Cheap, but not very likely to be on time. 50% change likely to leave on time might be a bit of an overestimate.

Lots of additional fees...you pay for your seat assignment. You pay for checked luggage. You pay for carry on luggage over a certain size (small backpack).

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Spirit Airlines

Post by TomFurman »

You had posted on FB about this,,.. then one of the humblest and nicest martial artists on earth, Tayari Casel posted the same thing. That guy never has a bad word for anyone or thing.
I used them to fly with Vegas and it was like riding in a slave ship.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Spirit is cheap as fuck for a reason... you bring extra weight? you pay more. You want a good seat? you pay more. etc, etc. As long as you know what you're getting into it's not that bad. I've done bach parties in Vegas from LA and in AC from Boston for under 100 round trip as long as you can pack in a small gym bag; it's fine for a night or two.

I actually like this methodology rather than charging everyone the same and then giving the special benefits, overhead space, good seats, etc., to people who have tons of miles from a corporation paying for their airfare.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

First time I flew it was on a flight to Tampa for a college reunion. It worked out we had some partiers on board, so I ordered drinks and chips and had a good time. I'm actually glad they charge for a carry on rollerbag, all airlines should do that.
But everything is an upcharge, and it's better to pay your baggage fees ahead of time, screw up with too large a carry on and you are hit with a huge fee.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Whatever you think of their pricing strategy, Spirit is still terrible if you want to get somewhere when you're supposed to be there:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the- ... is-a-mess/

If you had a good experience, you were lucky.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Whatever you think of their pricing strategy, Spirit is still terrible if you want to get somewhere when you're supposed to be there:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the- ... is-a-mess/

If you had a good experience, you were lucky.
My comment was focused on the pricing strategy, I didn't say I'd had good experiences w/ the actual flights. Nothing bad enough that I remember though and I've spent a night in Atlanta (Delta, Christmas Eve eve) and about 10 hours in O'Hare on a non-weather delay (not sure, possibly United).

the link you sent calculated an average of 11 minutes worse on Spirit, severely skewed by 2 months out of 12. Don't get me wrong, I love Virgin (all except for one shitty flight) and have had really good experiences w/ Alaska and Hawaii. I just don't think Spirit sucks as bad as people make it out to be. It's typically assholes bitching about the cost of checked bags and seats which they'd know about if they read the website.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I flown spirit 4 times. 3 times the flight was delayed by over an hour. 1 time the flight was delayed by close to 3 hours.