Steak cooking technique...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Steak cooking technique...

Post by Shapecharge »

I don't necessarily think it's a "new" technique but perhaps one that has fallen out of favor. Rumor has is that some steakhouses are back to using it. It's called "the constant flip" method. You basically bring your steak to room temperature and only lightly season it with salt. Place it in a very hot pan with a little bit of oil...oil with a high smoke point...and simply flip it every 30 seconds. During the last few flips is when you apply your rub. Here's a good video explaining the process:

https://youtu.be/8Qit966koC4

I've done this twice now. Once exactly as shown in the video and last night slightly modified. Last night I used the BGE, you know, the one I got for Father's Day 2006 that I don't talk about very much, and used a cast iron skillet just sitting on the grill grate. I made about 5 turns each side then a couple more with liberal coatings of a coffee rub. Took them out of the skillet and placed them on the grill and shut it all off...i.e. closed all then vents, for about another 2 minutes. The steaks came out perfect. The wife said this is the new go to method. Your steaks will cook faster using this method. The only challenge would be if you had more people over...I'm not sure how'd I'd do this.

milosz

Re: Steak cooking technique...

Post by milosz »

Whatever advantage there might be of "room temp," almost no one is actually reaching it - leaving your refrigerated steak on the counter for an hour barely changes the internal temp.

If I don't cook sous vide, I reverse sear by cooking in a 225F oven until the steak(s) are around 128, then finish with a blowtorch or cast iron pan.

I've done the constant flip and it generates too much smoke for my shitty domestic exhaust fan.

Best thing I've done for steaks is starting to salt them 24-48 hours in advance and leaving them uncovered on a rack in the fridge. The exterior gets bone dry and the flavor start to be almost dry aged, just beefier all around.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Damn both of those sound awesome. Have either of you tried cooking on low heat in butter? I did that a ribeye a long ass time ago and it turned out damn good.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

I am married so I wouldn`t know if that is a viable technique Shape,I leave the cooking to the wife.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

milosz

Post by milosz »

Holland, like poaching the steak in butter?

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Bobby wrote:I am married so I wouldn`t know if that is a viable technique Shape,I leave the cooking to the wife.
Bobby, by all means let your wife tenderize, marinate and rub your meat.

Your steak though, you should cook yourself.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZcoTQuYUqQ[/youtube]

This is what i do. Did a London Broil Last night flipping it ever 2 mins. 3 times a side. Regular thickness steak twice each side.

Incredible.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

milosz wrote:Holland, like poaching the steak in butter?
:snigger
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

milosz wrote:Holland, like poaching the steak in butter?
http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/04/ ... steak.html
I think this is the old article.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Shape, once you've had a perfect steak, how bad do you want anal? Is it just me...

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

milosz wrote:
Best thing I've done for steaks is starting to salt them 24-48 hours in advance and leaving them uncovered on a rack in the fridge. The exterior gets bone dry and the flavor start to be almost dry aged, just beefier all around.
You can dry age steaks in the fridge for up to couple of weeks. Wrap the meat in a clean piece of cloth - a kitchen towel for example - and leave in the fridge. Change the cloth every couple of days.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Thud wrote:
Bobby wrote:I am married so I wouldn`t know if that is a viable technique Shape,I leave the cooking to the wife.
Bobby, by all means let your wife tenderize, marinate and rub your meat.

Your steak though, you should cook yourself.
=D> =D> =D>
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Now I'm getting shit from our resident Scandinavian...whatever rep I had is lost now. Dang.

Bux...my spidey sense tells me this is a trick question. I can't tangle with a rocket scientist.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Shapecharge wrote:Now I'm getting shit from our resident Scandinavian...whatever rep I had is lost now. Dang.

Bux...my spidey sense tells me this is a trick question. I can't tangle with a rocket scientist.
You are still my go to camping expert,so your rep is still pretty much intact I`d say.
"being a pussy".

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

I'm a big fan of Serious Eats and J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, though I have not yet tried his reverse sear for steak. Start in a very low oven and sear at the last moment at the end in a hot cast iron skillet. I've done lots of steaks in a cast iron skillet with kosher salt only and one flip, but there is a ton of smoke.

Here's Serious Eats on skillet steaks: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the- ... teaks.html

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

JaneDoe, I've done the reverse sear and it works but just relative to my experience, the constant turn proved superior. It is not a good technique in the house though unless you've got a great vent above the stove. It will smoke up the house for sure so perhaps that reverse sear technique would be best.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

milosz wrote:I reverse sear by cooking in a 225F oven until the steak(s) are around 128, then finish with a blowtorch or cast iron pan.
That's similar to the America's Test Kitchen recipe for Pan-Seared Thick-Cut Strip Steaks. I've done this several times, and it works perfect:
  • Cook in a 275-degree oven until the interior of the steak is around 95 to 100 degrees. Takes a while, around 25 mins or so.
  • Sear on high heat, about 2 mins per side (a little less on the first side, a little more on the second: the pan cools down a little)
  • If the steaks are thick, might also need to stand them on their sides and sear all sides for another 1.5 to 2 mins.
Gets a perfect medium-rare, every time.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

OK, Shapebaby, your method appears to be solid, but high maintenance.

That commie Miloz is correct in that letting one's steak out for an hour or so is sorta useless. 5-6 hours, OTOH, gets you to that state of BOOYHAHDIGGITY. Preseason or no matters not all that much unless youre going with cheaper cuts and I know you ain't going down like thatl.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I like leaving my meat out for a long while.

Wait...this Milhouze dude is a commie? How did he get on here? That fucking Mario...there's prolly some North Koreans on here too mining all our personal stuff.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

The only efficient simple way to grill meat is here.https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ha ... fire+grill
The kind that is hinged to open so you clamp your items between the two sides. Hold over the open fire. No smoked up house and no expensive gas grills. Just burn until done to your satisfaction.
will be handy for your camping trips, Shape.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Andy, you don't microwave your steaks?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Johno, you've got to be kidding. Andy1,000,000B.C. was right there when his cavemate Trog, captured fire from the sky god that hurled it down upon them in anger. Andy don't fuck with no microwaves! What? Are you crazy?

milosz

Post by milosz »

I want to try deep frying post-sous vide to sear the steak but I've never deep fried anything before.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I met a school trained chef awhile back, a youngster but he had a good rep, that was opening a restaurant in town and he told me if he made me a steak and I didn't think it was the best I ever had then he'd pay for it. He did the sous vide technique with a sear afterwards. Sadly he got seriously ill and never opened the restaurant. I was hoping to try that and see what it was all about.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Another great way is to ferment. The best fancy restaurants ferment the filet mignon. Then remove the green mold and sear it slightly with open flame.
Back in the cave days we did that. Also just throw the whole dead deer or water buffalo right into a big fire. Skin guts and all. Now that was wonderful meat.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.