What's this stuff about "military grade" flashlights?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

What's this stuff about "military grade" flashlights?

Post by seeahill »

They say it will stun someone. Stop a grizzly in its tracks. (yes, they said that.) Anyone know?

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Re: What's this stuff about "military grade" flashlights?

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Marketing.
At least that's what I assume whenever I see it. If,everything else can be tactical, why not a flashlight?
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

seeahill wrote:They say it will stun someone. Stop a grizzly in its tracks. (yes, they said that.) Anyone know?
I've used them as a 'kubotan' and found them highly effective. Add a mean striking bezel and you've got a serious non-lethal weapon.

This puppy here can do some real damage if handled properly:

You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

seeahill wrote:They say it will stun someone. Stop a grizzly in its tracks. (yes, they said that.) Anyone know?
They also cause cabin fires.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:Marketing.
At least that's what I assume whenever I see it. If,everything else can be tactical, why not a flashlight?
Surely they've tested the flashlight grizzly stopping powers to the established protocols.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
The Ginger Beard Man wrote:Marketing.
Surely they've tested the flashlight grizzly stopping powers to the established protocols.
If not, Tim can do it for us.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The flashlight is $40, but replacement parts are $1000 each. Requires a 2 week training course where you do 100 push-ups every morning with an annual requal. Comes in green, black or black. On button has a safety, which has its own safety, and there are 10 red warning labels on it, yet on average 10 military recruits blind themselves with it each year.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

The Shadowhawk X800 Tactical Flashlight is currently the most popular tactical flashlight of choice for most Americans due to it's powerfully disorienting "strobe mode" that allows the user to flash a blinding strobe light into the attackers eyes, leaving them "disoriented beyond belief."
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

Seenoforest.....don't you know how to use Google yet. PM me and I'll help you with it.
PS. IGx not a good source to get information.
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

seenoforest...If you are advanced enough to click links, you just might be able to click this one
https://shadowhawkflashlights.com/ss1/

milosz

Post by milosz »

Surefire, etc. made a fortune when "blinding light" was unique but now that everyone with access to alibaba can get super-bright LEDs I imagine their bottom line has taken a hit.

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Andy82 wrote:
The Shadowhawk X800 Tactical Flashlight is currently the most popular tactical flashlight of choice for most Americans due to it's powerfully disorienting "strobe mode" that allows the user to flash a blinding strobe light into the attackers eyes, leaving them "disoriented beyond belief."
This is a case in which I'd trust IGx more than the above Google quote. " disoriented beyond belief " strikes me as, well, dumb.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

BS. Unless they are IR with a coupon for Gen 5 googles, total BS.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Andy82 wrote:
The actual reviews, and not the cut and paste hype, are really bad. With 3aaa batteries, you'll be swapping out batteries frequently.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

powerlifter54 wrote:BS. Unless they are IR with a coupon for Gen 5 googles, total BS.
All you're saying is that you don't believe it. What's a Gen5 Googles?
J-Cube says 3AAA batteries. Those are a different kind. I have two of these little 3.5 inchers with 9 little LED bulbs and use 3 AAA batteries. Bought them at KMart two in a pack for 5.95. They do throw a lot of light. Even more than my foot long Mag-Lite with 3or4 Abatteries therein.

I'm just trying to help Tim so he won't have to bang sauce pans together to chase all the grizzly bears out of his cabin anymore.
And what about the airline pilots being blinded on final with one of those laser flashlights?

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

SubClaw wrote:
I've used them as a 'kubotan' and found them highly effective. Add a mean striking bezel and you've got a serious non-lethal weapon.

This puppy here can do some real damage if handled properly:

I have one of these and completely agree.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Andy82 wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:BS. Unless they are IR with a coupon for Gen 5 googles, total BS.
All you're saying is that you don't believe it. What's a Gen5 Googles?
J-Cube says 3AAA batteries. Those are a different kind. I have two of these little 3.5 inchers with 9 little LED bulbs and use 3 AAA batteries. Bought them at KMart two in a pack for 5.95. They do throw a lot of light. Even more than my foot long Mag-Lite with 3or4 Abatteries therein.

I'm just trying to help Tim so he won't have to bang sauce pans together to chase all the grizzly bears out of his cabin anymore.
And what about the airline pilots being blinded on final with one of those laser flashlights?
In Bagram when the jawas lased a plane a Quick Reaction Team was on the way to go after them. The technology was there to put a mortar on their head instantaneously, but they saved that for Jawas who shot a rocket or mortar toward inside the fence.

Discourages and demotivates.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

terra

Post by terra »

These have the potential to be quite effective in Oz.

I have a bike light that is basically a 'tactical flashlight'. It puts out 750 lumens on high, and at this level it actually hurts your eyes. Even in daylight the thing makes you reflexively avert your gaze - just like welding flash.

"Moon X-Power 780 lumens front light"
http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=91

The light, without mount, fits in my fist well and has with a fairly solid square aluminium 'bezel' that could be used to hammer strike. As a 'bike light' this only cost $100AUST. It is USB rechargeable and 'splashproof'.

In my country there are almost next to no handguns, very few knives and citizens aren't even allowed to carry mace etc for self defense. So attackers are often confident to just use size/force/bluff etc. These 'tactical flashlights' are not even known or thought of here so many 'muggers' here would never expect a response such as a painful bright light. Could only guess that in U.S. etc their effectiveness would be reduced in line with what everyone is carrying/expecting from each other.

Along with some situational awareness and knowledge on verbal framing/posturing during confrontation, using a fuck-off-bright flashlight could only help to make you a much less attractive target, when walking home at night from a train station etc. At least in this country, along with the goto (effective) martial arts and being able to run fast, it's the best you can do... There are fuck-all other legal options here anyway - they'll book you for carrying a screwdriver.

I have heard of the flashlights with sharp bezels being stopped at airport hand luggage check-ins. But otherwise a cop won't look twice at you for carrying one of these 'bikelights'... Clip a less important key to the lanyard ring and, "It's a just a flashlight keyfob officer".
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

mike.b
Staff Sergeant

Post by mike.b »

Ladies ladies ladies......

A 1000 lumens in your eyes from a close distance will fuck you up , but a proper flashlight that runs on a rechargable 18650 3000mah battery none of those vibrator AAA batteries that you use for your fleshlights

Why do you think when you get pulled over by the popo's you get flashed in the eyes while you're in the car?

Google something like armytek predator pro

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

mike.b wrote: Why do you think when you get pulled over by the popo's you get flashed in the eyes while you're in the car?
Because they're jerks.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

A cop friend of mine says you can also buy a "flashlight with the strobe but also contains a stun gun". Disorient them with the light - push it against them and really light them up - should give you enough time to make a getaway.