The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

SubClaw

Re: The couch thread

Post by SubClaw »

You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks »

SubClaw wrote:What the fuck...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScyS1lsbHg[/youtube]

CrossFit Strinking and Crossfit SelfDefense.

https://training.crossfit.com/striking

https://training.crossfit.com/defense-athlete

I've given four seminars at that gym. Fuck.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

Ahahahahahaha!

Fuck me! Hahaha!
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I dig big chicks wrote:

I've given four seminars at that gym. Fuck.
We're all gonna forget you posted that.
(But save a screenshot)
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

If it's not crazy monkey...

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

WTF?
What happened when we used CrossFit for marathon training - Training - Runner's World:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/ ... 14984.html

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Kirk wrote:WTF?
What happened when we used CrossFit for marathon training - Training - Runner's World:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/ ... 14984.html
I can't believe my eyes...
If you’re struggling with chronic injuries, are desperately short of training time, psychologically drained from accumulated marathon mileage or simply hell-bent on PB glory, I recommend making CrossFit Endurance part of your schedule.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Medicre runner...weak everything...what do you think happened? It's not off base.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Medicre runner...weak everything...what do you think happened? It's not off base.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. I'm kind of surprised he didn't get hurt jumping into a high intensity program like that...

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

It was a chick, wasn't it?

Boris

Post by Boris »

How many certifications and levels are there now? Anyone keeping track?

If I was into CF and had unlimited time and money, I'd have my own CF gi and decorate it with all my certification patches to look badass.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

honest question, is a sub 4 hour marathon something to be proud of if you fancy yourself a runner? One of my buddies out here trained for the LA marathon for like 4 or 5 months amidst the boozing habits of a 25 year old in southern california. I think he finished around 3:45.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:honest question, is a sub 4 hour marathon something to be proud of if you fancy yourself a runner? One of my buddies out here trained for the LA marathon for like 4 or 5 months amidst the boozing habits of a 25 year old in southern california. I think he finished around 3:45.
9 minute miles will put you under 4 hours for a marathon. I have no idea if that's good or not - the most I have have run in anything close to a formal situation was a 2 miler because a dumbass swimming coach made me.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

If you're gonna be a hard-to-kill badass, why wouldn't you train your striking?? You can't just wear a flat-brimmed hat and not know how to throw a punch.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:It was a chick, wasn't it?
Nope, looks to be the dude in the pics.

Boris

Post by Boris »

I realize this thread is dead, but did the winning team get those Glocks?

Wow... just wow.
Castro wrote:“Unless the state and federal laws regarding gun ownership in California and the U.S. change in the next week, then no, nothing is changing,” Castro said.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Boris wrote:I realize this thread is dead, but did the winning team get those Glocks?

Wow... just wow.
Castro wrote:“Unless the state and federal laws regarding gun ownership in California and the U.S. change in the next week, then no, nothing is changing,” Castro said.

Naw, man, it ain't dead. It'll never die. Not as long as good people like you bump it from time to time.

And I guess the fact that this thread still exists, and CrossFit still exists, is testament to the fact that CrossFit can't really be considered a fad anymore. It's here to stay, broad time and modal domains and all.

And that's okay by me.

Getting back to that CrissFit marathon thing, though. I'm curious about that. I dabble in running, mostly to keep my weight in-check, to give me a new challenge, and to make life on the mats easier from a performance perspective (don't listen to the motherfuckers who say that all you need in terms of conditioning for Jiu Jitsu is more Jiu Jitsu, that's horse puckey! Running helps you on the mats, period, full stop.), I'm not an expert runner by any means...

But has any @Fitter actually done well at an endurance event, after training with whatever protocols they're using?

Mrs. Kenny X is an avid runner and a gal she knows was training for the Zydeco Marathon *and* doing CrossFit, and a few weeks before the race, some knee problems cropped-up. BOOM! No race, no CrossFit, per her Doctor.

And here I was thinking I was a pussy for not going to Jiu Jitsu for three weeks prior to running my half. I just figured it'd be good to focus on the running and back off the other stuff in the weeks coming up to the race...

CrossFit can be so aggressive, it seems to me that it, and endurance running are too mutually exclusive to do at the same time.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Kenny X wrote:
Boris wrote:I realize this thread is dead, but did the winning team get those Glocks?

And I guess the fact that this thread still exists, and CrossFit still exists, is testament to the fact that CrossFit can't really be considered a fad anymore. It's here to stay, broad time and modal domains and all.
There are more crossfit boxes than Taco Bell's after all.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Kenny X wrote:CrossFit can be so aggressive, it seems to me that it, and endurance running are too mutually exclusive to do at the same time.

Crossfit and real sports performance of any kind are mutually exclusive.

Crossfit is to sports as Alchemy is to Chemistry.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

So, here's the facts

1. Greg Glassman invited me to the games.
2. I went.
3. I shook hands, kissed babies, and bridges were rebuilt, mingled with the crossfitterati (including certain CF.com forum mods)
4. The only uncool person (briefly) I met was Joe Manganiello (Sofia Vergara's husband)...and I say that because of the way he treated people, including folks just working there. The folks I met at the games were, almost to a 't', chill and cool. Bob Harper was a down to earth and friendly guy.
5. You cannot say that Crossfit doesn't work. Spectators were jacked. Competitors were jacked. The fittest sports crowd I have ever seen. I suspect Crossfit, as exercise, has worked better for more people than any other kind of exercise program.

I'll address your comment, BD:

Crossfit is as legit as any other non-Olympic sport. The competitors exhibited great all around fitness, conditioning, and skill at the events. It's morphed into it's own thing. As a lifter/thrower type you only have legitimacy if you are an olympic lifter or a T&F thrower.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I'll address your comment, BD:

Crossfit is as legit as any other non-Olympic sport. The competitors exhibited great all around fitness, conditioning, and skill at the events. It's morphed into it's own thing. As a lifter/thrower type you only have legitimacy if you are an olympic lifter or a T&F thrower.
Legitimacy I'll grant you..(sadly, you're correct in the extreme there)....but then you knew that was not where my comment was directed.

CF as it is billed to the plebes relies on magical thinking. It's therefore shit.

CF as it is practiced by games competitors (I've programmed for some) does not rely on magic, it relies on science, best practice and low dose AAS...just like everyone else.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Crossfit = the WOD. But Crossfit champions don't WOD. Ergo, Crossfit champions don't do Crossfit.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:Crossfit = the WOD. But Crossfit champions don't WOD. Ergo, Crossfit champions don't do Crossfit.
Prezackly.

So say we all.

kreator

Post by kreator »

Kenny X wrote:But has any @Fitter actually done well at an endurance event, after training with whatever protocols they're using?
Short answer, no.

The amorphous nature of Crossfit makes it impossible to say when you're doing Crossfit vs when you're just doing some S&C work. Take an Olympic 10k runner, have him do a few box jumps and pushups on an off day and it's fodder for them to claim he was built by Crossfit.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I'm not even sure how many folks still do THE WOD from CF.com, instead of a WOD from their own gym. It certainly does beg the question "How do you know if you do Crossfit?" The answer has to be more along the lines of self identification nowadays. Maybe more precise identification would be "I do the OPEN".

I don't know.

1. Do you self-identify as a Crossfitter? (because certainly Gym Jones shit often looks 'crossfitesque' still, yet they'd vehemently deny thats what they are)
2. Do you compete in the Crossfit Open every year?
3. Do you train at a Crossfit gym?
4. Do you train under a Crossfit coach?