If you dig HD motorcycles...

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

If you dig HD motorcycles...

Post by Shapecharge »

If I had that money that Jay Leno has I'd have one of everything too but alas, it's not to be. With that being said I rode a 2017 Road Glide with the new 107 motor and new suspension and I'd say it was quite remarkable...about time Harley. After forever being behind the times relative to these things compared to other manufacturers, they've closed the gap noticeably...not totally but enough to make some riders give them serious thought. Fit and finish was impeccable, hp and torque greatly improved as well as front and rear suspension. Enjoyed it immensely. I did feel for the salesman though...they were having an Armed Forces Day event at the dealership and there were quite a few people there. They only had about 5 bikes with the new engine and only one I was interested in and he promptly dropped it as he was wheeling it out of the shop. Well, you don't really drop a Harley. It just leans over on stuff it's not supposed to lean over on.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: If you dig HD motorcycles...

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

There are two potential uses for the Hardley Abelsons suite of engines....

Shaking paint cans....

Dirt track.

Any other HD's seen roaming free should be shot on sight.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

To each his own but at what age does one become interested in HDs? I'm just 47 and haven't hit that stage yet.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I want one of those Chinese sidecar motorcycles.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

All of you please go fuck yourselves...and I mean really deep, with something significant. Like maybe a rake or one of those manual edger thingys.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Old people and village people rejects love their Harley AstroGlide Geezer bikes.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The great irony is last time Shape and I chatted IRL, it was about his current bike which is one the of the top ten best bikes of the last 10 years and the bike he test road which has a lock to be one of the truly greatest bikes of this last 40 years.

So..the man has taste, he's just slumming it up with this moto equiv of barebacking a lot lizard.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Kirk wrote:To each his own but at what age does one become interested in HDs? I'm just 47 and haven't hit that stage yet.
Your dick has to stop working, from what I hear.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Dang this place knows how to crush the life out of stuff. Can't you guys be nice for once. Jeez. It's about 'Merica fuckers.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

I started out on a japanese bike when I was 9 or 10 (a 1978 XR75) so I didn't start with an anti foreign bike thing. Also, I just never understood motorcycles that weren't at least a little sporty. Cruising and highway touring just confound me. I did try something towards the touring end when I had a 97 kawasaki concours but I just didn't enjoy riding a nearly 700 lb bike and it wasn't too long before I parted the thing out (made more money that way). I did ride the whole buell line back in the mid/late 90s and thought they were fun but you needed a big investment in loctite to use one as a daily driver.

So, yeah, I just don't get HDs (or goldwings, big beemers, indians, victory, etc).

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Kirk wrote:I started out on a japanese bike when I was 9 or 10 (a 1978 XR75).

Same bike, 77 for me then the first and last of the low pipe XR80's. Don't know if I've ever had more fun on anything than those little xr's. ...XR6 through Baja was close, but I chalk it up to geography not the machine.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Kirk wrote: So, yeah, I just don't get HDs (or goldwings, big beemers, indians, victory, etc).
When I was looking at a new bike I thought I wanted a BMW GS. Test rode the 1200 boxer and I seriously don't see how people man handle those things through seriously rough terrain. Way to big and heavy. If I was doing serious adventure touring I'd seriously have more confidence in a 650 single lunger I could toss around (and actually pick up when I dropped it).
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Kirk wrote: So, yeah, I just don't get HDs (or goldwings, big beemers, indians, victory, etc).
When I was looking at a new bike I thought I wanted a BMW GS. Test rode the 1200 boxer and I seriously don't see how people man handle those things through seriously rough terrain. Way to big and heavy. If I was doing serious adventure touring I'd seriously have more confidence in a 650 single lunger I could toss around (and actually pick up when I dropped it).
The only person who seems to be able to toss around a GS is Jimmy Lewis...if you pony up for the HP2, it's a world apart weight wise...with zero capacity to carry gear.

I have a buddy who broke a vertebrae picking up his fully loaded KLR. Admittedly, he's a pussy but still...even that bike was heavy.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Hey you suppository eating dirty bitches...stop your shitty thread hijacking!! I started a heartfelt thread about an American icon and it's improved engine and suspension!! And you now want to breathe your cavity-tainted breath all over my stuff and talk about your bitchin' 70' Bultaco 350 and how you used to take it off some sweet jumps. All you fuckin' badasses that bench press 7hundy for reps and deadlift on Friday's using only your pinkies just can't understand how anyone can ride a 600 pound bike over rough terrain!! OMG and why would anyone want to ride one a long ways away!! I know it's hard to think about that since you have to be home by dark for supper or mom starts getting pissy. Can you not grasp that all bikes get some love in one way or another? You're all in fucking time-out right now and I'm putting all you fuckers on not double but triple secret probation.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Shapecharge wrote:... I'm putting all you fuckers on not double but triple secret probation.
I first read this as "double/triple penetration," and thought a mandatory camping trip was in the works.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

johno wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:... I'm putting all you fuckers on not double but triple secret probation.
I first read this as "double/triple penetration," and thought a mandatory camping trip was in the works.
You read it right.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
But if you're on the interstate and you see a bike so loaded down with gear (spare tires, tents, tools, etc) that it's unrecognizable, it's probably a GS and the guy is putting in 800+ mile days.
Tantum validus superstes

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

First bike was a yz80? Shit, must have been a 76 or a 77. After I got big enough I would ride my dad's 71 or 72 250 Enduro. Man, I loved that bike. My dad and I both beat the living hell out of it. I wish I had it so I could rebuild it

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I really really really want a bike, but I don't know what kind. Plus houston motorcycling is for the young and the stupid.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Any on-the-road motorcycling is stupid. But it's stupid fun.

I lost a co-worker just two years ago. Sadly, his son drove by the scene, recognized the bike, and knew that his Dad was in an accident. With a semi.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I don't dig them.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I really really really want a bike, but I don't know what kind. Plus houston motorcycling is for the young and the stupid.
Something with a solid suspension.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

johno wrote:Any on-the-road motorcycling is stupid. But it's stupid fun.

I lost a co-worker just two years ago. Sadly, his son drove by the scene, recognized the bike, and knew that his Dad was in an accident. With a semi.
Last trip back from the inlaws house we passed a downed biker surrounded by the local sqad. 100 yards later we drove by his foot.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Blaidd Drwg wrote: Any other HD's seen roaming free should be shot on sight.
True. When I started getting interested in motorcycles I wanted a cruiser. After riding one for a year I think they are an abomination to the name motorcycle. Riding position fucked my back - you feel a jolt when you ride over a match box, handling is ridiculous - can't really lean it, and the sound that I used to think was cool now seems idiotic way to attract the attention of bystanders (as in will you go the fuck away with this noise!)
Last edited by Sangoma on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Holland Oates wrote:I want one of those Chinese sidecar motorcycles.
These have a solid niche in Australia:

Ural (after Ural Mountains), used to be a police motorcycle when I was growing out. Shaft transmission, hard like nothing, but solid like fuck.