Hobbies and such

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Hobbies and such

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

baffled wrote:I've started to look a little into this. Have a feeling local PD would freak the fuck out if there were a bunch of knives out in the open, even behind a table.

I would bet you dollars to donuts you'd find an advocate within the Municipality to make sure that doesn't happen. Local PD work fairly closely with our local markets because it's a great PR/Community Policing presence for them to show up and make local businesses feel good. If you get close to doing this, PM me, I've worked with a lot of jurisdictions on neighborhood Econ Dev, stuff just like this. An integral part of making markets work is a diversity of local service people. Nearly none of us need a local source for more bacon, donuts and kale...but someone to fix up cutlery etc. is a well understood thing.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
baffled wrote:I've started to look a little into this. Have a feeling local PD would freak the fuck out if there were a bunch of knives out in the open, even behind a table.

I would bet you dollars to donuts you'd find an advocate within the Municipality to make sure that doesn't happen. Local PD work fairly closely with our local markets because it's a great PR/Community Policing presence for them to show up and make local businesses feel good. If you get close to doing this, PM me, I've worked with a lot of jurisdictions on neighborhood Econ Dev, stuff just like this. An integral part of making markets work is a diversity of local service people. Nearly none of us need a local source for more bacon, donuts and kale...but someone to fix up cutlery etc. is a well understood thing.
Thanks, I'll keep looking at this and let you know if I get close.

I've been spinning my wheels for a while after having a job in Korea fall through, and not wanting to keep doing what I'm doing. Adding this sort of thing in as a side gig is looking more and more ideal.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

baffled wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I've been spinning my wheels for a while after having a job in Korea fall through, and not wanting to keep doing what I'm doing. Adding this sort of thing in as a side gig is looking more and more ideal.
Good luck with it. I've been in a similar headspace for a long while. Until I finish school, doing cert classes and turning the occasional Indian club or two is about all I can manage. I know guys at the FD that have turned small time side gigs into a solid source of revenue that they use rather well for investing.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

baffled wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I knew a guy who did this for a side job that he inherited when his dad passed away unexpectedly. A Big part of his summer business was sharpening lawn mower blades and trimming shears. He also did scissors(all types) since his dad had all the necessary jigs and equipment to do them properly. It was a side job for his dad who was an insurance salesman.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

I paint and draw, pen and ink.

Portraits, people I see around me. That kind of thing.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

People do this in NYC. I can't imagine your knife laws are any more restrictive than ours.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Did a flat iron steak this weekend, seasoned with Sea Salt and Ground Pepper, cooked in big black iron fry pan medium flame in olive oil(to start since it allows butter to not burn when added later), butter, garlic, onions, and mushrooms. Turned about every 2 mins, basted each turn with garlic/butter/spice juices.

Cooked to 145, put it on cutting board to rest for 5 mins. Then went all Paleo man on half of it.

Gainz bitchos, GAINZ!
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Just signed up for a 6 week drawing class. Did a three hour workshop over the weekend. The teacher sucked, but being somewhere other than my house with a task that is not related to anything I do at home was almost a bit zen.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:

You should have no problems with this. There's a guy at the Brentwood farmer's market in LA with tons of custom knives and he sharpens them on the spot. If there was anywhere in the country for people to be up in arms about this type of shit it'd be there, and he's fine.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

I've realized I have no passions.. Things I do like to do in my spare time

Grilling, on charcoal, BBQ brisket, ribs, pork loin
Reading, I'm still one of those people who reads books and the Sunday paper cover to cover
Golf Sucked for years, took lessons this year, took 8 strokes off.
Playing piano, need to get back into this, been dormant since the summer
Retiring from soccer this year too old, too many injuries, going to continue playing basketball, but I can't fucking shoot anymore which is depressing
Hopefully coaching, but my kids are getting older and are in high school.