Tablet advice

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
climber511
Gunny

Tablet advice

Post by climber511 »

Tablet

I need educated (quit laughing already :) ). I want to get a tablet. The primary purpose will be to use it for immediate video playback of the shot and discus throwers I coach in the spring so I would like a 10” screen – which is about the only thing I know I want. Of course I will want to do some web surfing but I have a desk top that I use and like for that purpose so it doesn't have to be super fast or anything. I don’t care if it connects to my cell phone etc. I don’t see where I need anything special but don’t want to buy a total piece of junk either. So what am I looking for and what should I avoid? My sons have I Pads and they are nice but way more than I’m willing to spend no more than I see this thing being used. So operating system, memory, brands that are good, those that suck etc are all questions I have. Appreciate your help with some knowledge – I’m pretty much the anti-nerd with this stuff. I’d like to get by under $200.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Tablet advice

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Check wirecutter's android tablet article
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

louburr
Staff Sergeant

Post by louburr »

the fire 7 " is 49 bucks you can upgrade the disk with an sd card. For 50 bucks I would get that before spending 200 on something

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

In your case, the camera on the tablet is going to be the most important feature. Many tablets, especially the lower cost ones, have shitty cameras. I would say read the reviews and pay special attention to the camera sections.

Although I'm not a huge Apple fan, usually the iPhones and iPads have the best cameras of mobile devices. Perhaps an iPad mini?

Also, you may want to check if the camera offers slow motion playback.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Look into the Coaches Eye ap. Best tool I've found for both immediate feedback and more in depth analysis later.
you can film an attempt, then use the slide scroll to go frame by frame at the important bits, and draw lines/arrows and what not on the image to get concepts across.

It also has a voice over feature so you can go over a video in depth at home and make commentary, then email it out to the athlete.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

I just bought a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab. Only had it a couple weeks, but it's sweet so far and had a very good camera. I'm an Android fanatic, so YMMV.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

If you seriously need a good tablet and you don't mind spending a little extra cash because it's a quality product, my money is on the Big Chief Tablet. It's never let me down broheim. Need to work on your multiplication? Bam! 3 x 4 = 12 all fucking day on the Big Chief. Practicing your cursive? Snap! Get fuckin' on it!! Quick love note to Sally to see if she'll set next to you at lunch? Ka-Boom!! Write that shit down, tear it out, fold it up and pass it down!! Chillin' for a bit then have the urge to make a paper airplane? Crack!! Rip that shit out and start folding mofo!! You're looking at 48 perfectly formed wide-lined blemish free sheets for 5 bucks. I don't know what fucking tablets these other no-pussy gettin' taint sniffers are talking about but the Big Chief will always be there for you. Here's a link:

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Shapecharge wrote:If you seriously need a good tablet and you don't mind spending a little extra cash because it's a quality product, my money is on the Big Chief Tablet. It's never let me down broheim. Need to work on your multiplication? Bam! 3 x 4 = 12 all fucking day on the Big Chief. Practicing your cursive? Snap! Get fuckin' on it!! Quick love note to Sally to see if she'll set next to you at lunch? Ka-Boom!! Write that shit down, tear it out, fold it up and pass it down!! Chillin' for a bit then have the urge to make a paper airplane? Crack!! Rip that shit out and start folding mofo!! You're looking at 48 perfectly formed wide-lined blemish free sheets for 5 bucks. I don't know what fucking tablets these other no-pussy gettin' taint sniffers are talking about but the Big Chief will always be there for you. Here's a link:

Big Chief don't need no fuckin' wires

Edit: Shape, you have GOT to post this review to Amazon. People got to know.
Don’t believe everything you think.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

stosh wrote:I just bought a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab. Only had it a couple weeks, but it's sweet so far and had a very good camera.
That has good reviews.

Since you're focused on the camera and video playback, about the Samsung I'll chip in that I've had Samsung Galaxy S phones (not tablets), and the cameras have been great. Currently have the S7, and the camera is absolutely terrific. I use it every day, chasing my 7yo son around. Its pics are gorgeous, the vids are good quality. Love the camera.

For a tablet, I have the Asus Zenpad 8. Comes in 2 flavors, one with 2Gb of RAM and 32Gb of storage, the other for twice as much with 4Gb of RAM and 64 Gb storage. I have the cheaper one. It is excellent. And my point is, they make a 10" one too. Currently on sale:

Asus was the manufacturer of the original Google Nexus 7 tablet back in 2012, even though it was branded Google, so they've been in that product space for a long time.

Takes a microSD card, which is useful. (iPads won't do that.)

If you care at all about aspect ratios, most tablets you see around are in 16x9 format. They're long and thin, sort of like a widescreen movie. The Asus Zenpad is 4x3, which makes it more like a standard screen (or even a piece of paper). You either like that better or you don't – I prefer it.

Possible con: The camera on my ZenPad 8 is not as good as the one on my Galaxy S7 phone. Also the battery life isn't great, I get something like 4+ hours on the 8.

I don't personally have the ZenPad 10, so I don't know for sure that it's any good. But I like the 8. I think the brand is worth considering.

Good luck!
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman