Tonight's Election

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

Tonight's Election

Post by johno »

This bitch is a nail-biter.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Tonight's Election

Post by syaigh »

God help us.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I get a kick out of the media talking heads yammering about non-college educated white men are the driving force for Trump (obtusely implying that most white, college educated men are voting for Hillary), with no mention of the fact that non-college educated persons of color are overwhelmingly voting for Hillary.

So typical of them.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:I get a kick out of the media talking heads yammering about non-college educated white men are the driving force for Trump (obtusely implying that most white, college educated men are voting for Hillary), with no mention of the fact that non-college educated persons of color are overwhelmingly voting for Hillary.

So typical of them.
Be interesting to see the numbers-- not sure anyone is voting for Hillary in large numbers.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

i hate my fellow americans now more than ever

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Thud wrote:i hate my fellow americans now more than ever
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 06036.html
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

We're going to get the leadership we deserve
Don’t believe everything you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote:
Thud wrote:i hate my fellow americans now more than ever
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 06036.html
Ha! A co-worker from up north just became a US citizen here two weeks ago. LOL

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:I get a kick out of the media talking heads yammering about non-college educated white men are the driving force for Trump (obtusely implying that most white, college educated men are voting for Hillary), with no mention of the fact that non-college educated persons of color are overwhelmingly voting for Hillary.

So typical of them.
This is incorrect. POC are voting for Hillary regardless of education.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

This thing has been a space adventure.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

H. L. Mencken

When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost... All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote:

So typical of them.
Reread what I posted. Of course, POC are voting Dem, the majority of them always do. The point is the majority of those POC (like the majority of white American men) are not college educated. Clear case of spin.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

nafod wrote:H. L. Mencken

When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost... All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
So that's how The Obama did it, twice?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

So typical of them.
Reread what I posted. Of course, POC are voting Dem, the majority of them always do. The point is the majority of those POC (like the majority of white American men) are not college educated. Clear case of spin.
You aren't following the reason for the distinction, or are being obtuse. The reason they point out non-college white folks going for Trump is a) it's unusual, and b) distinct from college-educated whites, which is also unusual. The GOP used to count on college-educated whites, and didn't dominate non-college educated whites. This represents a shift.

POC have fled the GOP, despite W. getting big chunks of Latino, Asian, and Muslim voters. That hasn't been left out of the discussion, but with the whole racial angle of this election it wasn't really surprising. Banning Muslims and building a wall is going to turn off minorities, regardless of education
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:
nafod wrote:H. L. Mencken

So that's how The Obama did it, twice?
Geez,

Obama didn't go around sexually assaulting women, bragging to some fluffer as a 59 year old man that he can grope pussies, promise to violate US law and the Geneva Conventions by torturing, throwing policy on nuke proliferation on the shitter by suggesting Japan and Korean can get their own bombs, pushing a racist birther conspiracy, asking a foreign power to hack his opponent's emails, calling in to radio shows pretending to be his own press agent, and on and fucking on.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

It doesnt matter. When the economy tanks and the whole country goes to shit it will all be Obama's fault. Cause, you know, logic.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

A Trump victory may force a reckoning in the warring factions of the GOP sooner than a defeat would. You could unite the GOP factions by hating Hillary, but not if she loses.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

I don't think it's a 'racist low-middle class white guy' push that might just get Trump the nod. I don't think it's some bullshit wall, either. I do think people are generally rebelling against the elite establishment....in fact, The Obama did the same thing. Could also be his comment toward poor minorities "what have you got to lose?" might have resonated as the talking heads have mentioned the lack of minority turnout the dems were expecting in a few states. We'll see how that washes out.

Regarding is pussy grabbing comment: is that really worse than a POTUS getting a blow job in the Oval Office from a 23y/o intern and then lying about it? Most of us are old enough to remember one side 'outraged' and another side saying 'that's his personal business' and that year long media shit storm. How 'bout a little consistency in what we get uppity about?

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

This will be a mess, but we'll survive the Orange One.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote:A Trump victory may force a reckoning in the warring factions of the GOP sooner than a defeat would. You could unite the GOP factions by hating Hillary, but not if she loses.
Agreed. But that is no concern of Trump, I think we'd agree on that, too. GOP will still be a mess. I personally can't stand voting along 'party lines' and yes, I 'get' the argument for doing so. Time to clean up Capitol Hill, ladies and gents.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:Regarding is pussy grabbing comment: is that really worse than a POTUS getting a blow job in the Oval Office from a 23y/o intern and then lying about it? Most of us are old enough to remember one side 'outraged' and another side saying 'that's his personal business' and that year long media shit storm. How 'bout a little consistency in what we get uppity about?
And then there's John Edwards who cheated on his cancer stricken wife and then tried to steal poop out of his alleged (actual) baby's diaper to get out of paternity. Even Ray Rice and Reggie Bush can look down on that asshole.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

As I said a few months ago, I can't wait to see the turnout numbers. I live in a mostly black neighborhood (maybe it's half and half), but didn't see a lot of black faces in the hour it took to vote.

This, like Brexit, is a rebellion against the elites. I think the phrase used on the Sam Harris podcast was "they have no sense of civic duty." They're just enriching themselves, and HRC is a prime example.

But go on, dismiss half of America as deplorable and racist again. That will make everything better.

Is dissent patriotic again?
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Venerable Bogatir X wrote:Regarding is pussy grabbing comment: is that really worse than a POTUS getting a blow job in the Oval Office from a 23y/o intern and then lying about it? Most of us are old enough to remember one side 'outraged' and another side saying 'that's his personal business' and that year long media shit storm. How 'bout a little consistency in what we get uppity about?
I thought that was pretty disgraceful, though I was Republican leaning at the time. However, I've personally lied about the same thing, and haven't sexually assaulted anybody, so imma go with, "Yes, it really is worse." But that aside, it's one awful thing in a huge number of awful things that make him uniquely awful as a candidate.

I won't pretend that every person who voted for him is a racist. People look past racism all the time. The folks who don't watch Fox or listen to Rush honestly do not understand why any smart people are voting for him. It seems nuts, and "propoganda works" isn't a sufficient answer.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote: b) distinct from college-educated whites, which is also unusual. The GOP used to count on college-educated whites, and didn't dominate non-college educated whites. This represents a shift.
We'll just have to wait and see. Clearly, the media is stunned by the inaccuracy of the data and the polling, as they are outright saying so. Subjectively speaking, in my little (mostly upper middle class to wealthy) town here in MN. My wife and I voted at 8AM and we saw a lot of white guys in their power suits and a lot of soccer moms in their high-end yoga gear, along with a parking lot full of high end SUV's, BMW's, ect. I could be wrong, but I suspect just about all of them were college educated and all appeared to be white. Trump will lose to Ciinton in MN, but I suspect my little district voted Trump (it usually does go Republican) and there are probably a lot of little districts in America that had polling stations that looked a lot like the one I voted at. Hardly 'rural America'...20 minutes from Minneapolis.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
I thought that was pretty disgraceful, though I was Republican leaning at the time. However, I've personally lied about the same thing, and haven't sexually assaulted anybody, so imma go with, "Yes, it really is worse." But that aside, it's one awful thing in a huge number of awful things that make him uniquely awful as a candidate.

I won't pretend that every person who voted for him is a racist. People look past racism all the time. The folks who don't watch Fox or listen to Rush honestly do not understand why any smart people are voting for him. It seems nuts, and "propoganda works" isn't a sufficient answer.
Not to rehash all of that, but if a Fortune 100 CEO put a 21 year old intern on her knees in his office and put his cock in her mouth, what should happen?
As for the people who voted Trump, they believe the whole drain the swamp thing. I don't, but I hope I'm wrong. As for the "grab em by the pussy" stuff, I got the same response from several people: "He's a guy from Queens. He talks like it. He talks like me."
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.