Starting the year the Chicago way

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Starting the year the Chicago way

Post by johno »

The more I hear about this incident, the more I wonder if those kids think they did anything wrong beyond getting a little carried away. More like hazing/fuckin' with than a serious attack. That said, had they realized the trouble they would be in, murder might have gone on the agenda.

But we'll never know what the outcome would have been: release (thinking "no serious damage, no foul") or disposal. The kerfuffle with neighbors & then police gave the white kid a chance to escape.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Mugshots are interesting moments in time. I look at these and search for regret, remorse, shame, or fear.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I see two heads adorned with weave, and the other two sporting some traditional African dog turds.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I see two heads adorned with weave, and the other two sporting some traditional African dog turds.
Their smugness is undeniable too.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:I thought looser gun laws were going to fix this.
What looser gun laws, Troy? Chicago bans "assault weapons", has firearms owner licensing. Concealed carry permit holders in the city are what, 2,500 out of 2,695,000 people? That's what, 0.1 percent?

Houston had 323 murders in 2016. 2,200,000 people. Texas style gun laws.

Chicago had 762 murders. 2,695,000 Per the site 'heyjackass.com' only 141 people were charged with murder. So much for Police deterring violence, they gotta catch 'em in order to deter the rest.

Sounds like Chicago needs Texas style gun laws too. Nothing scares a character with short time preferences and being ignorant like the prospect of being killed dead.
Last edited by Gene on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like yourself too much.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

bennyonesix wrote:The poorest areas of whitelandia (appalachia) are still safe from violent crime.

In before some fck cites some stat about "crime rates" which include opioid use.
I live in Appalachia. There is less violent crime here but we're not "safe". People with short time preferences, substance abusers and being ignorant fucks are a problem no matter what skin color they got.

Opoid abuse is a big problem, especially the kind you can buy from the pharmacy. Oxys. Google "Hillbilly Heroin" for more details. People ought to stay away from that shit but there you go. Short time preferences and being ignorant fucks go nice with drug abuse.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Gene wrote:
What looser gun laws, Troy?
WTF. There was a complete handgun ban. Now it's a shall issue state and you can carry any handgun that's not class III.
Chicago bans "assault weapons",
Irrelevant.
has firearms owner licensing.

False.
There's nothing in the EDC setup of a typical "sheepdog" jerkoff fantasy in Houston that can't be carried in Chicago. NYC and LA have tougher laws now.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:There's nothing in the EDC setup of a typical "sheepdog" jerkoff fantasy in Houston that can't be carried in Chicago.
Very different permitting process and speed though.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Gene wrote:
WTF. There was a complete handgun ban. Now it's a shall issue state and you can carry any handgun that's not class III.
With a CCW, which is so stringent and costly that only one in a thousand Chicagoans can get them.

Here are the requirements....
-Must be at least 21 years old.

-Must have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card.
-Must have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past five years.
-Must not have two or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs or intoxicating compounds within the past five years.
-Must not be subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
-Must have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past five years.
-No objections are filed by law enforcement.

Checklist prior to applying for an Illinois Concealed Carry License for Illinois Residents
-16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an Illinois State Police-approved instructor.
-Electronic copy of training certificate(s).
-An Illinois Digital I.D. (can be obtained through link on ccl4illinois.com)
-A valid driver’s license or state identification card.
-A valid FOID card.
-A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
-Proof of the last 10 years of residency.
-Fingerprints.
-$150.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.
(see http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi- ... story.html )

Note the "Proof of the last 10 years of residency". That ought to be fun for people who were born offshore. The homeless or former homeless.

Teggsas CCW reqs..

"Texas Government Code Chapter 411, Subchapter H sets out the eligibility criteria that must be met. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age (unless active duty military) and must meet Federal qualifications to purchase a handgun. A number of factors may make individuals ineligible to obtain a license, such as: felony convictions, some misdemeanor convictions, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication; certain pending criminal charges; chemical or alcohol dependency; certain types of psychological diagnoses, and protective or restraining orders. The state eligibility requirements can be found in GC §411.172. The federal firearms disqualifiers can be found in 18 USC 44 §922.

You must also submit a completed application, pay the required fees, complete all required training and submit required supplemental forms and materials." (see https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/ )

You make Chicago sound like dodge city, Troy.

The assault weapon ban gives people a sense of the attitude of government towards firearms in general. They are still rarely used in crime but are so demonized that only hard core gun control enthusiasts like banning them.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:There's nothing in the EDC setup of a typical "sheepdog" jerkoff fantasy in Houston that can't be carried in Chicago. NYC and LA have tougher laws now.

One in a thousand Chicagoans have a legal CCW. That's the figure I cited above.

In contrast Houston metro has several times more CCW holders.

"there are 937,419 active CHL holders in Texas — about 3.6 percent of the state's population — according to the records, and 299 Texas ZIP codes are home to 1,000 or more individuals who are licensed to carry. Those areas account for about 55 percent of all CHL holders in the Lone Star State."

(see http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... 777817.php )

There are neighborhoods around Houston which have more CCWs than the entire city of Chicago.

I'd like to know why Texas gun laws don't make Houston into a bigger Thunderdome than Chicago.
Last edited by Gene on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Gene wrote:
Chicago bans "assault weapons",
Irrelevant.
has firearms owner licensing.

False.
There's nothing in the EDC setup of a typical "sheepdog" jerkoff fantasy in Houston that can't be carried in Chicago. NYC and LA have tougher laws now.
Relevant if the shooters or victims were legal owners and carriers, however, LE in Chicago has been pretty clear that
this not the case. The guys doing the shooting are carrying illegally, were doing so before and aiming primarily at other guys also carrying illegally. The fact that noncriminals can now carry neither increases nor decreases criminal on criminal shootings.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Schlegel wrote:Relevant if the shooters or victims were legal owners and carriers, however, LE in Chicago has been pretty clear that
this not the case. The guys doing the shooting are carrying illegally, were doing so before and aiming primarily at other guys also carrying illegally. The fact that noncriminals can now carry neither increases nor decreases criminal on criminal shootings.
We could accept this if the two populations were excluded from one another. Can we assume it?

I see two benefits to armed people....

1.They complicate the lives of violent criminals who could expect return fire. This could raise the costs of using armed violence - return fire. Sure these characters could blast people first. Can they assume that they'll get away with it?

2. Police will have to work harder to clear murder cases. Otherwise bystanders may start shooting back, and Jurors may acquit them.

How many people are arrested for Murders in Chicago?

Per "Heyjackass.com"

No suspect charged - 623
Suspect charged - 141
Self Defense - 11

If the police won't get it done.... people are gonna start on their own. Vigilantism is very ugly and should be stopped. Good way to do that is to clear murders...

Illinois should consider drug legalization. Could that be worse than what is going on now in Chicago?
Last edited by Gene on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Gene wrote:has firearms owner licensing.

False.
Tell that to the Illinois State police... here is their site that explains how to acquire a license to own guns and ammunition.
To legally possess firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police to any qualified applicant.
https://www.ispfsb.com/public/FOID.aspx

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Gene wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

False.
Tell that to the Illinois State police... here is their site that explains how to acquire a license to own guns and ammunition.
To legally possess firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police to any qualified applicant.
You said "license." It's an ID. Fill out a form online and it comes in the mail a few weeks. I have one.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Gene wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

False.
You said "license." It's an ID. Fill out a form online and it comes in the mail a few weeks. I have one.
In your opinion has the change change in law been positive, negative, or neutral to Chicago's murder situation? I never hear it referenced at all, it's always the lax gun laws of Wisconsin & Indiana that are brought up as part of the problem.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Gene wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

False.

I said "license". A License means you have to meet certain criterion to do something. An ID means that you exist in a database somewhere.

Fishing licenses are a good example - they exist to restrict access for fishing as a conservation move and to generate revenue. A Dog license is another example - the dog doesn't get tested and neither does the owner. Yet they have to buy them on the pain of fines or Fido getting a ride in the gas chamber.

I can understand why you don't think it's a license, Steve. The Authorities don't call it a license. You may believe that a true gun license should be more stringent and allow the government a kind of caprice in issuing them, like the British Firearm Certificates, which have been revoked for Social Media Posts or receiving psychotropic meds.

The FOID is a gun owner license. Buy or possess firearms and ammo without it and you go to jail. Pretty damn simple concept.
Last edited by Gene on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Here's a different explanation..... Police clearance of murder cases.
Chicago police currently solve about 30 percent of the city's homicides, said a department spokesman, Anthony Guglielmi. In Houston, a city of comparable size, that figure is 56 percent, according to a spokesman for the Houston Police Department. In Philadelphia, it's 49 percent.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Houston clears roughly twice the cases of Chicago but has half the murders.

On a historic basis, 1980 to 2012, Illinois has had a murder clearance rate of about sixteen percent. Texas has a murder clearance rate of 72 percent. New York State, about 54 percent.

http://www.murderdata.org/p/reported-ho ... -1980.html

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Damn you guys tolerate a lot of disingenuousness if not outright lying from the shitlibs on here.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

We really should not be living in the same communities.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

bennyonesix wrote:We really should not be living in the same communities.

Racial holy war...right fucking now.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

So, the other day, in the neighborhood, a dad who picked up his kid from school (my daughter's school) got mad at some dude driving a jacked up big black truck, there were some gestures tossed around, so the dad, all fucking pissed off that his drive home was lengthened from 6 minutes to 8 minutes by driving behind the big black truck with the guy who flipped him off, jumped out of his car and ran up to the window, where the guy inside showed him a gun and said "Go get back in your car, asswipe."

About 5 minutes later, the guy's wife was posting on the neighborhood page about how terrible this is, blah, blah, blah....the guy himself got on the page and said, "All I know is some guy was honking and flipping me off, so I drove nice and slow in front of him, and honked and flipped him off...then he jumped out of his car, running up like he was going to beat my ass, and I felt a bit threatened, so I de-escalated the situation with my concealed carry."

Fucking idiots, all, but especially macho dad, who got caught lying to his wife about how shit went down.
Last edited by Shafpocalypse Now on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

That story....TWO WHITE GUYS...

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Gene wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

False.
In your opinion has the change change in law been positive, negative, or neutral to Chicago's murder situation? I never hear it referenced at all, it's always the lax gun laws of Wisconsin & Indiana that are brought up as part of the problem.
After 50 years of declining homicides, 2016 had a huge jump. Could be an anomaly.

Since the ban was repealed and we became a shall issue state, all the nearby gun stores have added ranges, moved to larger spaces, or both. They've gone from dead to very busy.

It's been unquestionably good for the industry. Pro CCW folks should be rooting for declining murder rates in Chicago, since it's pretty much a perfect test case for "What happens when criminals can easily get guns, despite a ban? What happens when you let law-abiding people also carry guns?" NYC & LA are still very difficult places to legally carry, and they haven't seen the spike we did.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

One thing I think some people don't realize about NYC is that the NYPD has more cops then a lot of states. There are 35,000 copes here, the high was 40,000 around 2000. During the bad old days around 1990 when we set a murder record, they were at a low point, but still around 25,000. LAPD and CPD have between 10,000 and 15,000, I believe. The NYPD can always throw bodies at a problem, and frequently does. Also the gentrification express has really helped NY. I know the economy hasn't been fantastic, but the city has been pretty stable and gentrification is rolling over bad neighborhoods like a steamroller. Eventually it's just going to be the projects and million dollar condos/coops. South Bronx is the next hot neighborhood. Condos by Fordham are already in demand.