Travel ban cockup

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Travel ban cockup

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The Trump team are clowns. They don't ban the countries where terrorists have come from, and they don't go through legislation, so the ACLU gets a judge to halt any ban/deportations.

Even if their goal was legitimate, they completely fucked it up.

But it wasn't legitimate. Fuck these people and their apologists.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

milosz

Re: Travel ban cockup

Post by milosz »

Depends on what you think they meant to do - now they get to claim those damn dirty lib'ruls and the egghead elitist judges have let all them dirty raghead terrorists in to threaten your life in Podunk, Methandoxyland.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Basically just a countdown until 9/11 2: Electric Boogaloo. Might pull Trump's numbers out of the toilet.

milosz

Post by milosz »

I fully accept that this is probably giving Bannon and Trump too much credit - fat cokeheads aren't known for their reasoned planning skills - but I'm not putting it past them.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Trump was inaugurated on the 20th of January, today is the 29th. Was there another president who received so much attention - and displeasure - in the first week of being in the Office?

Once again, I don't give a flying fuck about politics, but this looks like self-fulfilling prophecy.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Sangoma wrote:Was there another president who received so much attention - and displeasure - in the first week of being in the Office?
Obama.
Lincoln.

Not sure about Truman or LBJ (very different circumstances).
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The kindest, most generous interpretation of Trump is that he's a buffoon who has no idea what he's doing.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

lmao. All week.

400+ weeks to go. Enjoy.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I see it more as a ride than as a Presidential term. Buckle up!
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

powerlifter54 wrote:lmao. All week.

400+ weeks to go. Enjoy.
Lol at the Iraqis who helped our country. Suckers! Ha, ha, ha!

Double Lol that none of the countries that the 911 hijackers came from have bans on them! Haaaahaha!
Don’t believe everything you think.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

powerlifter54 wrote:lmao. All week.

400+ weeks to go. Enjoy.
serious question:can you explain this?
With National Security Council S hakeup, Steve Bannon Gets A Seat At The Table
why eliminate chairman of the joint chiefs and direct of national intelligence?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

The ban of people who already have visas was dumb. As was not including Saudi Arabia in the immigration ban, as nafod said, though i didn't see him complain about the 4 previous presidents fellating the Saudis regularly. Hopefully the visa thing is quickly corrected but I'm not holding out hope for the Saudi thing.

Pulling out of the refugee program though is GREAT.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

johno wrote:I see it more as a ride than as a Presidential term. Buckle up!
Yes, Obama was a trip to the library; Trump is a great ride at the state fair. It's fun but you're a bit nervous that the wheels will come off.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

JimZipCode wrote:
Sangoma wrote:Was there another president who received so much attention - and displeasure - in the first week of being in the Office?
Obama.
Lincoln.

Not sure about Truman or LBJ (very different circumstances).
Frankly, I don't remember Obama being grilled that much from the get go. His winning of the Nobel Prise for Peace also somehow missed the press - even though at the time his country was running two wars and he has pretty much nothing to do with it, being in the Office for a month.

I really don't care one way or another, but the drama amuses (and irritates) me: even in Australia anything Trump related is a conversation starter.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Pinky wrote:The kindest, most generous interpretation of Trump is that he's a buffoon who has no idea what he's doing.
Yet a small cluster of treasonously stupid lifetime GOP supporters manage to defend even his most flagrant ineptitudes as though they were in on the plan all along....

I completely support smart folks who are calling to dial down the histrionics....it's fair to do hard analysis of the actions he has taken and put them in a broader historical context...as long as you start your monologue by saying, "Don't get me wrong, the man is a dangerous idiot, However...."
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

At this point, we don't really know if this was a mistake they'll learn from (and by mistake I mean not anticipating what the courts would do, and the embarrassment this would cause the administration) or a sign of things to come.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

No way Trump gets a second term. I love how he's stepping g all over the law

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Herv100 wrote:The ban of people who already have visas was dumb. As was not including Saudi Arabia in the immigration ban, as nafod said, though i didn't see him complain about the 4 previous presidents fellating the Saudis regularly.
Oh, I think I've called bullshit on the Saudis and us sucking up to them. They and Wahabism are the root of most of this radical Islamic stuff.

I get tightening up admissions and keeping campaign promises, but get no sense that anyone in the Trump admin thought this through at all. I look forward to WH leaks telling us how this went down. The knives are out internally.
Don’t believe everything you think.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I love how he's stepping all over the law
Yeah, fun.

And predictable: his campaign was full of stuff that indicated he had no understanding of / respect for the law.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Someone tell me what was illegal. Please read relevant docs before doing so. Or not, because you all are hysterical shitlbs.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

Ah, b16, with his argument from ignorance and personal incredulity.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Is that how it was illegal?

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

Well, we can start real low and work our way up.

First: what are Stays for?
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Oh yes, this will be fun.

A stay (this is a vague term) is a temporary halt to judicial or executive proceedings granted by a judge with jusridiction and at the request of moving parties with standing. It can either expire after a certain time or after resolution in another venue.

How was the EO illegal?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:At this point, we don't really know if this was a mistake they'll learn from (and by mistake I mean not anticipating what the courts would do, and the embarrassment this would cause the administration) or a sign of things to come.

We don't know...but we suspect....

As a long time enjoyer of Breitbart (hey..I like a diversity of tawdry media) putting Bannon on the NSC? for fucks sake....That would be a shit idea even if he were a National Front operative.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill