Travel ban cockup

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Travel ban cockup

Post by dead man walking »

nafod wrote:The 2 out/1 in on federal regulations is a good idea
2 out for 1 in is arbitrary.

eliminating unnecessary regs makes sense. i don't need a gas can with a safety mechanism that becomes unworkable after a coup[le of months. but "ordering" 2 for 1" is pure caprice, carnival barking, not governing based on a reasoned assessment (i.e. cost/benefit) of the situation.

for example, is there a sound reason to eliminate a rule that prevents coal mining operation from dumping mining debris in streams?

also i don't understand what is wrong with requiring a financial adviser to have a fiduciary duty to his/her client. you'd think that would be the financial guy's equivalent of a hipporcractic oath.

so far, i'm not sure any of the fat blonde's grandstanding affects me personally, but he's surely a hot windbag who make the sirocco seem like a gentle breeze.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Remember Sarah Palin's congressional "target" list and how she and the right were excoriated for inciting violence when a nut shot her?

Ahhh, for the good old days of innocence when Tea Party demonstrations (where they cleaned up after themselves) set the left atwitter w/fear and revulsion.

Just yesterday Nancy Pelosi called Steve Bannon a White Supremacist (twice). Definitely a green light for violence.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:Just yesterday Nancy Pelosi called Steve Bannon a White Supremacist (twice). Definitely a green light for violence.
Maybe the NRA can get involved. They've already been invited.
“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”
Don’t believe everything you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

dead man walking wrote:

eliminating unnecessary regs makes sense. i don't need a gas can with a safety mechanism that becomes unworkable after a coup[le of months. but "ordering" 2 for 1" is pure caprice, carnival barking, not governing based on a reasoned assessment (i.e. cost/benefit) of the situation.
I believe there is genuinely enough completely useless regulations (e.g., leftover regulations from when horse-drawn carriages were the motive means) that it wouldn't be constraining. That stuff never gets removed from the books, yet removing old stuff (ore recrafting it) is nearly as important as bringing in new stuff.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

dead man walking wrote:eliminating unnecessary regs makes sense. i don't need a gas can with a safety mechanism that becomes unworkable after a coup[le of months.
You don't personally have to buy one for your own use. However, if your job involves caddying gasoline around, your employer has to supply them. One of the indirect things OSHA does is mitigate employer liability. In other words, he provides you a safe workplace, and in exchange, you don't burst into flames and (assuming it doesn't burn down) he isn't wrecked by lawsuits and fines.

The alternative is that a disturbing number of employers will nickel and dime employee safety, essentially gambling with their employees limbs and lives. Fucked up, but happens a lot in states with low-workplace safety enforcement.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

spells,

i do have to buy one of those annoying gas cans. . . because that is the only kind of can on sale.

fair point, i suppose, about employee safety.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

nafod wrote:
dead man walking wrote:

I believe there is genuinely enough completely useless regulations (e.g., leftover regulations from when horse-drawn carriages were the motive means) that it wouldn't be constraining. That stuff never gets removed from the books, yet removing old stuff (ore recrafting it) is nearly as important as bringing in new stuff.
you may be correct, but you are guessing. one shouldn't govern by guesswork. (yes, i know i sound like a prig. just trying to make a point.)

also, i'd note that the regs he targeted early are not about providing your mule with adequate feed. he's eliminating rules that have value.

milosz

Post by milosz »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:Remember Sarah Palin's congressional "target" list and how she and the right were excoriated for inciting violence when a nut shot her?

Ahhh, for the good old days of innocence when Tea Party demonstrations (where they cleaned up after themselves) set the left atwitter w/fear and revulsion.

Just yesterday Nancy Pelosi called Steve Bannon a White Supremacist (twice). Definitely a green light for violence.
This is aggressively stupid and dishonest.

You try to equate a former GOP VP candidate and major party figure to an Irish magazine (not sure how the American 'left' or Democrats have anything to do with the Irish press), a protest banner (that doesn't incite violence - we declare wars on all kinds of things) and graffiti.

You try to link that to Pelosi calling Bannon a white supremacist and follow that sentence with the aforementioned 'violent images' - but I note that you didn't point to Pelosi actually calling for violence against Bannon.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

You don't personally have to buy one for your own use. However, if your job involves caddying gasoline around, your employer has to supply them. One of the indirect things OSHA does is mitigate employer liability. In other words, he provides you a safe workplace, and in exchange, you don't burst into flames and (assuming it doesn't burn down) he isn't wrecked by lawsuits and fines.
Safe working place like the Twin Towers? The Pentagon? A holiday office party? A draw Muhhammmidd contest? The Green Zone?
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

milosz wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:Remember Sarah Palin's congressional "target" list and how she and the right were excoriated for inciting violence when a nut shot her?

This is aggressively stupid and dishonest.

You try to equate a former GOP VP candidate and major party figure to an Irish magazine (not sure how the American 'left' or Democrats have anything to do with the Irish press), a protest banner (that doesn't incite violence - we declare wars on all kinds of things) and graffiti.

You try to link that to Pelosi calling Bannon a white supremacist and follow that sentence with the aforementioned 'violent images' - but I note that you didn't point to Pelosi actually calling for violence against Bannon.
I am, at worst, a passively aggressive dullard.

Pelosi did not call for violence against Bannon. She just blew her "hey there's a white supremacist administration coming to get you" dog whistle. Few things are more incendiary in the US of KKKA and violence is inevitable. Whether it's annoying manageable violence like we saw at Berkeley a few hours after her blowing her dog whistle last night (subverting the free speech rights of a gay Jewish immigrant who likes to submit himself to black men), or something more serious, only time will tell.

Enjoy this professor demanding that the NYPD "kick the asses" of innocents starting at 10:18. The much maligned Tea Party was a tea party compared to this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFS1qLlULc[/youtube]
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:Enjoy this professor demanding that the NYPD "kick the asses" of innocents starting at 10:18. The much maligned Tea Party was a tea party compared to this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFS1qLlULc[/youtube]
That was the most hilarious 2 minutes I've seen in years.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

I strongly suspect the violence will, as it always seems to do, be confined to blue voting counties. But if those folks are feeling froggy give some other places a try. See how that goes.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

donk,

can't we simply agree that left and right offer equal opportunity for assholes?
A Republican Party official in northern Michigan has issued what amounts to a death threat against American college protesters, calling for “another Kent State” in the wake of protests at the University of California, Berkeley.

Dan Adamini, former chair and current secretary of the Marquette County Republican Party, indicated that a single death might be sufficient to end student protests this time around.

“I’m thinking another Kent State might be the only solution protest stopped after only one death,” he posted on Facebook on Thursday. “They do it because they know there are no consequences yet.”

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

As long as they stay on liberal college campuses, Democrat run cities, and on highways in blue states, they will be fine.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

Don't care much about protesters one way or the other but when they block highways they deserve what they get. Blocked highways can get people killed - think emergency vehicles etc. I foresee laws where people who hit them might not be prosecuted.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I'm fine with demonstrations, protests, and tantrums. As long as they don't interfere with the life, liberty, or property of others. I still don't know what Milo stands for, except that he's a flaming homo who's into black men, dislikes "feminism," and supports Trump. But it enrages me that people at the University of Washington, then the following week at UC Berkeley, were blocked from hearing Milo. And that a number of those attending were assaulted.

AND that the universities did little to stop the obstruction & assaults. Three arrested in Berkeley...this amounts to acquiescence & encouragement.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

as a guy who rooted for the crazies at bezerkley in the 60s, i'm distressed by the left.

intolerance is intolerance.

from what i've read, i would guess is that bannon regularly ejaculates into his tiny briefs as he reads about this stuff. chaos is the seedbed for his hopes.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

dead man walking wrote:as a guy who rooted for the crazies at bezerkley in the 60s, i'm distressed by the left.

from what i've read, i would guess is that bannon regularly ejaculates into his tiny briefs as he reads about this stuff. chaos is the seedbed for his hopes.
Of coarse he does. All of this makes Milo, McInnis, and that Dick Spencer idiot sympathetic figures.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

On the evening of Saturday, Jan. 28, as airport protests raged over President Trump's executive order on immigration, the man charged with implementing the order, Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly, had a plan. He would issue a waiver for lawful permanent residents, a.k.a. green-card holders, from the seven majority-Muslim countries whose citizens had been banned from entering the United States.

White House chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon wanted to stop Kelly in his tracks. Bannon paid a personal and unscheduled visit to Kelly's Department of Homeland Security office to deliver an order: Don't issue the waiver. Kelly, according to two administration officials familiar with the confrontation, refused to comply with Bannon's instruction. That was the beginning of a weekend of negotiations among senior Trump administration staffers that led, on Sunday, to a decision by Trump to temporarily freeze the issuance of executive orders.

The confrontation between Bannon and Kelly pitted a political operator against a military disciplinarian. Respectfully but firmly, the retired general and longtime Marine told Bannon that despite his high position in the White House and close relationship with Trump, the former Breitbart chief was not in Kelly's chain of command, two administration officials said. If the president wanted Kelly to back off from issuing the waiver, Kelly would have to hear it from the president directly, he told Bannon.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/jos ... e31592c378

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

dead man walking wrote:

donk,

A Republican Party official in northern Michigan has issued what amounts to a death threat against American college protesters, calling for “another Kent State” in the wake of protests at the University of California, Berkeley.

Dan Adamini, former chair and current secretary of the Marquette County Republican Party, indicated that a single death might be sufficient to end student protests this time around.

“I’m thinking another Kent State might be the only solution protest stopped after only one death,” he posted on Facebook on Thursday. “They do it because they know there are no consequences yet.”
We can agree on that for sure.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Turdacious wrote:
dead man walking wrote:as a guy who rooted for the crazies at bezerkley in the 60s, i'm distressed by the left.

Of coarse he does. All of this makes Milo, McInnis, and that Dick Spencer idiot sympathetic figures.
You've completely misunderstood what is going on. The paid agitprop rioters (prob a thousand paid (with dental!) by soros to be a nationwide flying squad) don't care about your facile short term analysis. Their game is to raise the cost physically, economically and psychologically of dissent outside the neoliberal Overton Window. They know that Boomers are weak bitches and will knuckle under to pressure as long as their 401ks and two homes and bmws aren't in jeopardy. And of course, they realize that these goons don't intend to threaten the system that made them rich. It isn't an accident that these riots are about immigration, because immigration is the basis for the Boomers entire easy existence.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
dead man walking wrote:

donk,

We can agree on that for sure.
I reject that completely. The Left is many times more unhinged than the "conservatives" were about Obama. The calls for violence and assasination are unprecedented. Even Kennedy dealt with nothing like this from hardcore anti-papists.

The complaining the shitlib neoliberals did about muh false equivalence during the election was as usual with them a pretense and mask for the pure will to political power.

It is wrong. It is ahistorical. And it is an outright lie to equate the neoliberal response to Trump with anything the "conservatives" did under Obama.

This is, of course, not to argue that there was no overheated and often outrageous rhetoric about Obama. There was. But the levels are completely dissimilar and not equivalent.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

bennyonesix wrote:the levels are completely dissimilar and not equivalent.
where's your data?

what's the margin of error?

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

That burn still stings doesn't it? Heh.