Signature Food/Resteraunt

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Re: Signature Food/Resteraunt

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
bennyonesix wrote:DiNic's: Roast Pork Sandwich. Best sandwich I have ever had hands down. In Reading Terminal Mkt which is a cool place.
Huh, this was my biggest Philly let-down. They were crushed (had recent TV publicity), but pork was kinda dry and bland. Will give it another try next time.
I've seen you mention this before and was genuinely surprised.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:You left out DiFara's.
The old steakhouses. Peter Lugar, Harry's, S&W, The Palm, Keane's.
And the vast array of ethnic foods. You can get anything if you know where to look.
As I type and think, I think I have to disagree with your premise. NY doesn't have a signature; that's for smaller cities.
Agreed on your last sentence.

Related, is Parisi's still around?
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:I've seen you mention this before and was genuinely surprised.
Yeah, the (east coast) folks with me also didn't like it. People generally like it so much I think we have to have caught them on a bad day.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum section of Dallas is best barbecue I have ever had by a good margin.

My neighbor's garage in New Orleans suburbs for Cajun.

Pike Place Chowder Downtown Seattle for Soup.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

powerlifter54 wrote:Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum section of Dallas is best barbecue I have ever had by a good margin.

Well damn...I forgot about the chowder.

Next time you're in town, go to the fish throwers and the brass pig, turn east, walk three block and then north 10-12 meters. The gym is under that sidewalk, in fact, Brent Mikesell's old Monolift lies directly under that corner of 3rd and Pike.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum section of Dallas is best barbecue I have ever had by a good margin.

Next time you're in town, go to the fish throwers and the brass pig, turn east, walk three block and then north 10-12 meters. The gym is under that sidewalk, in fact, Brent Mikesell's old Monolift lies directly under that corner of 3rd and Pike.
Will do. One of my favorite layovers.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Koko, Beware wrote:
The Ginger Beard Man wrote:You left out DiFara's.
The old steakhouses. Peter Lugar, Harry's, S&W, The Palm, Keane's.
And the vast array of ethnic foods. You can get anything if you know where to look.
As I type and think, I think I have to disagree with your premise. NY doesn't have a signature; that's for smaller cities.
Agreed on your last sentence.

Related, is Parisi's still around?
You know, we discussed that once before, and I'm not sure. I never get over to that neighborhood. I'll have to make a trip one of these weeks.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

powerlifter54 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

Will do. One of my favorite layovers.
Ping me here or the FB. The gym has quite enough IPF/USAPL folks to make you feel right at home on the Left Side of this land.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Will do. Be a few more months of bureaucrats and paperwork then a refusal. I don't miss the USAPL, and I doubt they miss me except to take tests to protect others.

Portland Beer Festival pretty left coast awesome too.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Freki wrote:Baltimore has crab cakes of course. The lesser known specialty is pit beef.
There's a great pit beef cart, usually parked next to the Cross Street Market in the Federal Hill area.

Baltimore's famous for crab cakes, and the sad truth is that they're generally not very good. There's a place called G & M's, about 10 mins south of the city along route 295, with a well-regarded crabcake. Honestly, the best crabcakes I ever had were in the old Memorial Stadium, which stopped hosting Orioles games after the 1991 season. They were served in greasy wax paper, with a couple of saltines. You opened the saltines and made a little sandwich out of them. Fucking delicious. The O's moved to Camden Yards for the '92 season. They still sell crabcakes, but they fancied them up and made them more of a tourist-y thing. Not as good.

Another local specialty is steamed shrimp with Old Bay. You can get that just about everywhere, and it's good everywhere.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I went to Champs Pit Beef because of The Wire. It was outstanding. Is it at all authentic?

Also, Isabella's in Little Italy is good.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

JimZipCode wrote:
Freki wrote:Baltimore has crab cakes of course. The lesser known specialty is pit beef.
There's a great pit beef cart, usually parked next to the Cross Street Market in the Federal Hill area.

Baltimore's famous for crab cakes, and the sad truth is that they're generally not very good. There's a place called G & M's, about 10 mins south of the city along route 295, with a well-regarded crabcake. Honestly, the best crabcakes I ever had were in the old Memorial Stadium, which stopped hosting Orioles games after the 1991 season. They were served in greasy wax paper, with a couple of saltines. You opened the saltines and made a little sandwich out of them. Fucking delicious. The O's moved to Camden Yards for the '92 season. They still sell crabcakes, but they fancied them up and made them more of a tourist-y thing. Not as good.

Another local specialty is steamed shrimp with Old Bay. You can get that just about everywhere, and it's good everywhere.
Most have too much filler/bread and yes G&M has the best in my opinion. No bread at all, it's a kind of egg sauce that sets when cooked. Steamed shrimp with Old Bay is indeed common and hard to fuck up, too much Old Bay being the most common.

Troy, I almost mentioned steamed crabs, but I find them to be a major PITA, so I didn't.

Baltimore also has a fair amount of ethnic neighborhoods, Little Italy being the most famous. Greektown has good, but aging restaurants. There's a couple good polish delis/sausage shops in out of the way Fells.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:

BD, There's a place near the Pike Place Market...Two Sisters? Something like that. Anyway, good sandwiches and great halibut chowder.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:

BD, There's a place near the Pike Place Market...Two Sisters? Something like that. Anyway, good sandwiches and great halibut chowder.

I admit...I'm a non foodie..I do like halibut and chowder. I know the place and will try it. If i'm headed to the market, it's all about mini donuts or prime ri sandwhiches at Matt's/ Syaigh and her Dad really liked Etta's seafood when they came to town...

The Swinery or Salume are both the tits. Mario Batale products but solid fair.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

powerlifter54 wrote:Will do. Be a few more months of bureaucrats and paperwork then a refusal. I don't miss the USAPL, and I doubt they miss me except to take tests to protect others.

Those PTown hippies can make the fuck out of some food. if you're ever there, I deeply heartily recommend http://www.tailsandtrotters.com/

It's a butcher shop for hazlenut finished pork. and other weird stuff..Best Reuben Sandwiches I ever put in my mouf.

No pee test required at SSP....in fact, I have a pretty good sense if you're maintaining your flight status you should hold your breath walking Seattle streets.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Every city from Vancouver to San Diego on the west coast has some real gems. Love downtown Sacramento. Like San Fran coffee better than Seattle's...and renewed my fanboydom of sourdough everything. Need to go try KC barbecue. Not that impressed with Memphis Rub style barbecue. Jax Florida has a family chain called La Napolera that does The best nachos I have ever had. About 2 lbs of chicken, steak, and shrimp. My sister severely screwed our family by not marrying into the ownership. Although not a righteous conservative like me she had issues with the illegal status of her then boyfriend. And that whole "love' thing. You sometimes have to bend your beliefs over perfect queso blanco. Not a team player.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:Will do. Be a few more months of bureaucrats and paperwork then a refusal. I don't miss the USAPL, and I doubt they miss me except to take tests to protect others.

Those PTown hippies can make the fuck out of some food. if you're ever there, I deeply heartily recommend http://www.tailsandtrotters.com/

It's a butcher shop for hazlenut finished pork. and other weird stuff..Best Reuben Sandwiches I ever put in my mouf.

No pee test required at SSP....in fact, I have a pretty good sense if you're maintaining your flight status you should hold your breath walking Seattle streets.
Pork IS the other white meat!

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Re P-town--
Dan's West Coast Bento is a Portland institution. It's rice, meat, and sauce.
Wong's King has superior dim sum.
If you're there with the family, Salt and Straw is a superior scoop shop. The Alberta Street location is the original.

Stay at the Kennedy School and see a movie. Pizza is above average (but not by much); other food is below average. Go there anyway.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

tonkadtx wrote:Ok, since the Cheese steak came up in a couple of threads, here is a thread idea. What is your cities signature food and which local place or places in your opinion serve it best? This is especially interesting to me because:

1) I'm a fat ass.
2) my buddy works for MLB, we try to visit a different stadium every summer and enjoy the taste of the city.

Some NY signatures:

Pizza - Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst/Gravesend. Over hyped but really, really good. Rosa's Pizza in Maspeth. Less well known but phenomenal. There are hundreds of really good neighborhood pizza places.

Sandwiches/Hero's - Leo's Latticini (also known as Mama's deli) in Corona. Mama's special prosciuttini, salami, mozzarella, with mushrooms and peppers. They bake the bread fresh right next door. Incredible. Their hot food is really good as well.

Street Meat - There is a Kabab truck that parks on Steinway street in Astoria, called Farid Grill, that makes the best chicken, lamb, and beef kebabs sandwiches and kofta I have ever had. Slow as shit though. There is a taco wagon on 14th and 8th avenue that you occasionally see Bourdain, and other chefs in the line for. Nothing but meat and veggies, authentic mexican tacos, you season to taste.Immaculatly clean, 6 dollar tacos. El Idolo I think.
You didn't mention this and I just found out recently that the basic bacon, egg and cheese on a roll breakfast sandwich is kind of a NY/LI thing.
Tantum validus superstes

Topic author
tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

You didn't mention this and I just found out recently that the basic bacon, egg and cheese on a roll breakfast sandwich is kind of a NY/LI thing.
True. But you can get a good egg sandwich from almost any deli, bodega, or food truck in the city. As long as they use good ingredients.One of the benefits of living in a city that has really good bakeries. Everyone uses good bread and rolls.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

johno wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:

I had a great brekkie somewhere at pike place market, and a decent burger at 8oz burger and co on Broadway. I thought the general food standard was decent actually and I'm a bit of a snob on the quiet.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

kreator

Post by kreator »

tonkadtx wrote:Ok, since the Cheese steak came up in a couple of threads, here is a thread idea. What is your cities signature food and which local place or places in your opinion serve it best? This is especially interesting to me because:

1) I'm a fat ass.
2) my buddy works for MLB, we try to visit a different stadium every summer and enjoy the taste of the city.

Some NY signatures:

Pizza - Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst/Gravesend. Over hyped but really, really good. Rosa's Pizza in Maspeth. Less well known but phenomenal. There are hundreds of really good neighborhood pizza places.
Funny you mention Rosas. I've ran by that place on my regular running route no shit probably hundreds of times. Never once stepped in, just looked pretty average. Too bad I don't live in queens any more. :(
Being from Worcester Mass, the pizza outside of Mass never really impressed me. The Greeks own all the pizza places in Worcester and make it nice and greasy.

My fiancée being Chinese, our favorite places in Queens were the Asian ones in Elmhurst like Spicy Shallot, Lou Bei Fang, and Wasabi Point. Cheap and delicious.

And in Koreatown Manhattan we spent many a night at Woorijip for quick take out, or Miss Korea for a sit down BBQ place.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

McDonald

Not the ghetto ones
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."