Trumpling the Russia Investigation

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Re: Trumpling the Russia Investigation

Post by Herv100 »

nafod wrote:
Herv100 wrote: It's a shame that Chaffetz(?) requested ALL of Comeys memos regarding Trump, Hillary, AND Obama. Darn shame.
Uhhh, Trump is the President. And stupid. He's about to get Whitewater'd where you know Mueller is going to find all kinds of other stuff while looking into the collusion.

Can't wait to see those tax returns and listen to the tapes.
Uhhh, I'm guessing Hillary's and Obama's people will be the ones who go down.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

tonkadtx wrote:He then used lack of intent and a ridiculous explanation about "extreme carelessness", in a statute that doesn't mention intent once and where military kids are charged without intent every day, to excuse the reason Clinton was treated differently than everyone else
Silly comparison. Military are held to a different standard than civilian employees, and have ALWAYS been held to a different standard. It's always been true that something that gets a civilian fired could put a soldier in jail.

Trying to prosecute Hillary over the emails would have been ridiculously difficult for at least 3 reasons: (1) In the Obama administration Hillary was one of the people designated with the authority to declassify information; (2) Hillary's use of "open" email was very much in keeping with how the State Dept had operated over the previous decade; (3) no civilian has been prosecuted in a hundred years under that statute.

The "special treatment" Hillary gets is that she gets endlessly investigated for shit that turns out to be nothing much.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Herv100 wrote:Uhhh, I'm guessing Hillary's and Obama's people will be the ones who go down.
???

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Herv100 wrote:
nafod wrote:
Herv100 wrote: It's a shame that Chaffetz(?) requested ALL of Comeys memos regarding Trump, Hillary, AND Obama. Darn shame.
Uhhh, Trump is the President. And stupid. He's about to get Whitewater'd where you know Mueller is going to find all kinds of other stuff while looking into the collusion.

Can't wait to see those tax returns and listen to the tapes.
Uhhh, I'm guessing Hillary's and Obama's people will be the ones who go down.
- Emoluments clause, anyone?
Don’t believe everything you think.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

Hillary's use of "open" email was very much in keeping with how the State Dept had operated over the previous decade;
Other SOS's had private email servers set up in a bathroom and had their lesbian lover emailing classified info to said lover's pedo husband?

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

tonkadtx wrote:
Hillary's use of "open" email was very much in keeping with how the State Dept had operated over the previous decade;
Other SOS's had private email servers set up in a bathroom and had their lesbian lover emailing classified info to said lover's pedo husband?
No, they were just composing classified emails on unclassified computers and sending them out.

What I would genuinely want to know is how any email on the unclassified system ever had classified markings. How did it make the jump from class to unclass system?

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

no civilian has been prosecuted in a hundred years under that statute.
I would bring up Deutch and Berger, but it has been a long time. I don't remember if Berger was charged for the documents or for lying about it. Deutch was pardoned by Clinton.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

JimZipCode wrote: (1) In the Obama administration Hillary was one of the people designated with the authority to declassify information;
To be exact, if the DoS weren't the original classifiers of the information (and they weren't for the emails creating the uproar) then she couldn't declassify them. If she could declassify them, then she needed to explicitly. She did neither.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

tonkadtx wrote:
Other SOS's had private email servers set up in a bathroom
It exposed a paradox and should be a model; everything else we have sucks.
https://www.propublica.org/article/any- ... 1495040491
https://www.lawfareblog.com/why-opm-hac ... ou-imagine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... ad75c30fd9
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

This is all fun and everything but, President Pence is what you guys want? That's your big play?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

TerryB wrote:This is all fun and everything but, President Pence is what you guys want? That's your big play?
we're still working on how to cull him

suggestions welcome.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Re Pence
1/4—McGahn was told about Flynn/Turkey, per NYT

3/9—Pence (who ran the transition); note what he says 2x—unprompted (says he just heard about Flynn's foreign agent concerns)

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote:Re Pence
1/4—McGahn was told about Flynn/Turkey, per NYT

3/9—Pence (who ran the transition); note what he says 2x—unprompted (says he just heard about Flynn's foreign agent concerns)

It's plausible, given how fractious the WH is, that Pence wasn't being given the pertinent information necessary to make a good decision. Staffing issues were given as one of the reasons VADM Harward didn't take a post in the WH.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Joe Lieberman, the former senator from Connecticut and Al Gore's running mate in 2000, is President Trump's top choice to replace James Comey as FBI director, Trump said Thursday.
http://theweek.com/speedreads/700053/tr ... i-director

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/p ... .html?_r=0
“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”
"Yeah, I looked up the legal definition of obstruction of justice. I definitely did that. On purpose. I'm confessing to a crime in front of witnesses where the meeting notes will be later distributed. Just so we're clear."
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

shouldn't this be a story in the onion?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/p ... .html?_r=0
“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”
"Yeah, I looked up the legal definition of obstruction of justice. I definitely did that. On purpose. I'm confessing to a crime in front of witnesses where the meeting notes will be later distributed. Just so we're clear."
That's some mother#$%-ing 10-dimensional chess right there

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

This is why we elected Trump, he's able to cut through the bullshit. The Donald is unshackled now.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Thud wrote:This is why we elected Trump, he's able to cut through the bullshit. The Donald is unshackled now.
BRING ON THE TYRANNY! MAKING PERSONAL DECISIONS IS HARD!!!
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

syaigh wrote:
Thud wrote:This is why we elected Trump, he's able to cut through the bullshit. The Donald is unshackled now.
BRING ON THE TYRANNY! MAKING PERSONAL DECISIONS IS HARD!!!
For some, not Donnie. He knows nothing, listens to no one, is dominating the planet. America grows greater and greater by the day. Feel the power.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Eased the pressure.

Is that what Obama meant when he muttered he'd have more "flexibility" after he the election was over?

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

A former Trump campaign aide is requesting that President Donald Trump set up a legal fund to help associates ensnared in the federal probe into Trump campaign contacts with Russia. The ex-staff member, who told CNN he is racking up legal fees after hiring an attorney in order to respond to questions from federal investigators, also said he was never paid for his work for the campaign.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/20/politics/ ... index.html

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

It's really not fair, he sets up the kleptocracy to benefit himself and cronies but the minions get stuck paying for his sins.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

TerryB wrote:
Eased the pressure.

Is that what Obama meant when he muttered he'd have more "flexibility" after he the election was over?
No

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

nafod wrote:
TerryB wrote:
Eased the pressure.

No
Of course not. Totally different.