Gregg Allman, dead at 69

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Gregg Allman, dead at 69

Post by seeahill »

Shit, shit, and shit.

I liked him and liked his music. RIP.

He said: there are as many ways to write

songs as there are songs.

And

I would like to be remembered as somebody who could rock your soul or make you cry with a song
Last edited by seeahill on Sun May 28, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Re: Gregg Allman, dead at 69

Post by davidc »

seeahill wrote:Shit, shit, and shit.

He said: there are as many ways to songs as there are songs.

And

I would like to be remembered as somebody who could rock your soul or make you cry with a song
He was such a part of my life it's hard to overstate. As a Southerner, his music spoke to me like a first language. I pass by his old house every day when I take my kids to school. Ate at his favorite restaurant Wednesday. It's hard to believe he's gone.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

davidc wrote:

And

He was such a part of my life it's hard to overstate. As a Southerner, his music spoke to me like a first language. I pass by his old house every day when I take my kids to school. Ate at his favorite restaurant Wednesday. It's hard to believe he's gone.
David, you down in Macon?

I saw the ABB probably 15 times over the years.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

Here's my Gregg story:
Back in the 70s, when I worked for Rolling Stone, I was assigned a story on Gregg Allman. I first met him in a small bar somewhere in the South while he was on tour. It was tense. Another RS reporter had done a major story on the Allman Brothers that some thought was unfair to Duane. Then Duane died in that motorcycle crash and Allman Brothers fans, not to mention the band itself, were not feeling friendly to RS.

So I walk into the bar. There's Gregg with a bunch of half-drunk fans and hangers-on and I had to eat a lot of shit and engage in a few stare downs. Apparently, I passed the test and ended up traveling with the band on tour.

So one day, I'm doing my interview with Gregg in a Detroit hotel room. He asks me if I played guitar. I said, "I piddle around." So he hands me his guitar --- I'm playing Gregg Allman's guitar! -- and I ran off a few riffs. I'm sure he assessed my talent as what it was: a notch or two above rank beginner. He took the guitar back and said, "let me show you something." It was a two finger pinching strum technique. Handed me the guitar back. "Try it." So I did, and he patiently told me how to do it better.

I'll never forget that day. Guitar lessons from Gregg Allman.

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

At Fillmore East - definitive rock live album. No one's done it better since.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Awesome stuff Seeahill.

Always loved the Allman Brothers. Good stuff. Some of the best white folk blues ever.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

dkay
Sarge

Post by dkay »

seeahill wrote:Here's my Gregg story:
Back in the 70s, when I worked for Rolling Stone, I was assigned a story on Gregg Allman. I first met him in a small bar somewhere in the South while he was on tour. It was tense. Another RS reporter had done a major story on the Allman Brothers that some thought was unfair to Duane. Then Duane died in that motorcycle crash and Allman Brothers fans, not to mention the band itself, were not feeling friendly to RS.

So I walk into the bar. There's Gregg with a bunch of half-drunk fans and hangers-on and I had to eat a lot of shit and engage in a few stare downs. Apparently, I passed the test and ended up traveling with the band on tour.

So one day, I'm doing my interview with Gregg in a Detroit hotel room. He asks me if I played guitar. I said, "I piddle around." So he hands me his guitar --- I'm playing Gregg Allman's guitar! -- and I ran off a few riffs. I'm sure he assessed my talent as what it was: a notch or two above rank beginner. He took the guitar back and said, "let me show you something." It was a two finger pinching strum technique. Handed me the guitar back. "Try it." So I did, and he patiently told me how to do it better.

My god, what a great story! When you say "pinch" do you mean sort of pulling more than one string at the same time without a pick, eg simultaneous grabbing and pulling almost vertically and then realeasing an A string with thumb, d with first finger, b string with second or third? Or do you mean Travis picking?

Topic author
seeahill

Post by seeahill »

dkay wrote:
seeahill wrote:Here's my Gregg story:

My god, what a great story! When you say "pinch" do you mean sort of pulling more than one string at the same time without a pick, eg simultaneous grabbing and pulling almost vertically and then realeasing an A string with thumb, d with first finger, b string with second or third? Or do you mean Travis picking?
Very simple, two fingers, geared to my ability. For instance, make an e-minor. Now "pinch" two strings. (He did it with his thumb and FU finger.) Just gently pinch 'em together. It sounds ok pretty much however you do it, but certain strings sound best. He was trying to get me to do it by ear. Change the chord, and move to the best sounding strings for that chord. I'm not any good, but I could feel what he meant. And even do a little.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:38 am
davidc wrote:

And

David, you down in Macon?

I saw the ABB probably 15 times over the years.
Yep. I was out of town for the funeral, but it was kind of a big deal. Turns out Gregg and I shared a few mutual friends.
He'll be missed.