Tired of bullshit called news?

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Tired of bullshit called news?

Post by DARTH »

Can't stand CNN, FOX, MSNBC, HLN, ect because they give you bunch of opinions and soundbytes but not alot of plain facts?

Don't want to confirm your biases, watching a newsshow that tends to lean your way?

Want to step outside this all a bit?

Well my 11 year old started watching NHK News from Japan a couple of years ago and we've all been doing the same since Election night, where we centered on NHK but flipped around to our networks and it was interesting to say the least.

The Japanese still do strait fucking newsreads and journalism.

Yes there are still good journalist and good papers, websites ect in the USA, but they are far and few between, the American press can go fuck itself, and it's sad that it's come to this point but it has.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Tired of bullshit called news?

Post by Bobby »

DARTH wrote:Can't stand CNN, FOX, MSNBC, HLN, ect because they give you bunch of opinions and soundbytes but not alot of plain facts?

Don't want to confirm your biases, watching a newsshow that tends to lean your way?

Want to step outside this all a bit?

Well my 11 year old started watching NHK News from Japan a couple of years ago and we've all been doing the same since Election night, where we centered on NHK but flipped around to our networks and it was interesting to say the least.

The Japanese still do strait fucking newsreads and journalism.

Yes there are still good journalist and good papers, websites ect in the USA, but they are far and few between, the American press can go fuck itself, and it's sad that it's come to this point but it has.

Same here in Sweden.I see the headlines etc on tv or in a newspaper and then if it interesting I search the net to find out what really has happened.The "normal" media is very biased in a left wing leaning way.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

There's some great line about how media organizations lie about their own country but tell the truth about others.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:There's some great line about how media organizations lie about their own country but tell the truth about others.
TOTALLY TRUE!

NHK is great... as long as you don't care about what conservatism and the LDP (PM Abe's party) are doing in Japan.

I'm a fan of NPR, but they aren't above bias. Al Jazeera and the BBC have great stuff, but again, not above reporting bias.

climber511
Gunny

Post by climber511 »

Al Jazeera America (out of London?) was one of my favorites - so of course it's not on any more.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Boris wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:There's some great line about how media organizations lie about their own country but tell the truth about others.
TOTALLY TRUE!

NHK is great... as long as you don't care about what conservatism and the LDP (PM Abe's party) are doing in Japan.

I'm a fan of NPR, but they aren't above bias. Al Jazeera and the BBC have great stuff, but again, not above reporting bias.
I think NPR has done a good job getting more even-handed. I like Joshua Johnson's 1A broadcast a lot better than Diane Rehms, he's getting voices from both sides of the aisle and being fairly critical of some long-accepted, but not necessarily true myths about how America works. And I've heard a lot more interviews with Republican congressmen and policy makers on all their shows so I think its coming around.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

There's a lot of great stuff out there.

I'm a big fan of ReliefWeb.int, the UN's news and report aggregator. It carries news and reports from a lot of perspectives (the UN agency reports range the whole gamut from useful to useless; so do other news and reports), and carries news from several wire services. Some of the stuff they put up from national news services is hilarious. From a teaching perspective, this is one of the best sites out there. Things we don't worry about much here-- like drought, flooding, earthquakes, locusts, disease outbreaks, and famines-- are taken really seriously by a lot of organizations, and some of their reports are really readable (with good graphics) yet comprehensive.

Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty is really good (their mobile site is a lot better than it used to be).
The Diplomat is really solid on Asia Pacific stuff.
The Pew Trust puts out a lot of good reports; I really like their Stateline blog and their 'what we're reading' news summaries.
Pro Publica is excellent if you like long form journalism.
Reuters has a lot of good international stuff. So does AFP.
At the Newseum website, their 'Today's Front Pages' site is really cool. IMHO it's the best part of the actual museum (and it's free).

There are also some really cool rabbit holes out there like the USGS earthquake site here.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

FWIW I'm liking Axios a lot.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Fox & Friends FTMFW

All else is Fake News.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

johno wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:48 am Fox & Friends FTMFW

All else is Fake News.
Ainsley is suh-weet

Trump hates leaks, so the short guy railed on leaks the other day, then FoxNews published the intel community leak about the anti ship missiles, and then Ainsley asked Amb Haley to confirm it, but Haley said those leaks are horrible and dangerous and refused to not confirm, but then Trump retweeted the Fox News story with the leak.

Heh
Don’t believe everything you think.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I have no clue why people want to watch the news. 90% of news are about something bad, so how can feeding negative information be any good?

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Like most guys, I pretty much only watch Fox News, but with the sound turned all the way down.

I have no idea what they're talking about, but the coverage is outstanding.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Double post??

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

According to one Buddhist Master there are three ways to watch TV that leads to enlightenment.

1. Sound on, image off.
2. Image on, sound off.
3. Both image and sound off.

If you watch TV in mode 3 - twice a day for 20 minutes, for at least several years - your life will change.