The Defenders on Netflix

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

The Defenders on Netflix

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

All the Marvel heroes: Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage & Iron Fist are fighting evil. 2 episodes in and am liking. I liked the individual series as well so it's not surprising.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Defenders on Netflix

Post by baffled »

I liked it, and the actress who plays Elektra is my favorite, maybe of all time.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Four episodes in and I'm liking it too. The Cage/Iron Fist dynamic is good, fight scenes are solid, Scott Glenn is Scott Glenn, and so far they're minimizing the unnecessary melodrama.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

This series was a tale of two cities: it was a mess of a series full of plot holes, and a good Daredevil story with a bigger than normal supporting cast and no weak episodes. They only had enough material for eight episodes, I'm glad they didn't extend it to twelve.

Probably the best Netflix Marvel adaptation since the first Daredevil series. The DD catalog has a lot of really good stories they can build on. I just hope they don't Affleck it up. Looking forward to the next DD installment.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I liked it, especially when the Iron Cranium wasn't on the screen. It was as though they were trying to convince the viewer that their Iron Fist series was really a good show about a very stupid character.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Pinky wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:00 pm I liked it, especially when the Iron Cranium wasn't on the screen. It was as though they were trying to convince the viewer that their Iron Fist series was really a good show about a very stupid character.
He's supposed to be trained in mind control techniques by the greatest masters in the world yet has the emotional control of a teenager.

It's so incongruous that I figured that I must be missing something from the original story arc. Then I was embarrassed that I cared.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I quit early into DD season 2, Luke Cage towards the end, Iron Fist almost immediately. This seemed like it might be good, but then Narcos and Ozark came on and it's obvious what a garbage series this is.

The weirdest thing about the Iron Fist is the actor actually hams up the dumbness, so it's especially jarring when nobody else is acting like Adam West. He was in GoT and not an awful actor.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:26 pm I quit early into DD season 2, Luke Cage towards the end, Iron Fist almost immediately. This seemed like it might be good, but then Narcos and Ozark came on and it's obvious what a garbage series this is.

The weirdest thing about the Iron Fist is the actor actually hams up the dumbness, so it's especially jarring when nobody else is acting like Adam West. He was in GoT and not an awful actor.
It's a story about DD, Stick, and Electra. If you're an old school DD fan, the interplay between those three is worth putting up with the surrounding filler. Glenn and Yung (Stick and Elektra) carry the series in the way D'Onofrio carried the first DD series. The Hand villains are pretty entertaining in their own right, except for the character played by Sigourney Weaver.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.