Sports Hernia

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Sports Hernia

Post by baffled »

I know a few bros here have had a "regular" hernia, but anyone had a sports hernia, or "core muscle injury" since that seems to be their new name?

I'm going to get checked out in the next week or two depending on what my work schedule looks like.

Trying to figure out how to handle this whole thing if my self-diagnosis is correct.

Between a stupid high deductible under Barrycare, and the chance Trumpcare will be much worse, I'm a little stumped.

Thinking of the medical tourism thing, but then I've got the chance of a doctor with a bone through his nose giving me a pig's blood IV and rooting around near my nutsack with an elephant tusk scalpel.

Ben Greenfield liked some peptide for a muscle tear or something, but again, who knows if it'd work for a hernia type injury and if that's a good idea to be injecting anything near my nuts.

Wanting to get my info right so I can be ready for worst case scenario.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Sports Hernia

Post by syaigh »

Pm BD, apparently he had "all the hernias".
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

I got an inguinal hernia in the Spring of 1981 while serving in Saudi Arabia. The war had been over for several weeks and I was given a two choices.

1-get it done in a tent with a deck of pallets on sand right away or take my chances on when my reserve unit would rotate back to Camp Pendleton and
get it done there.

i am pretty sure I got it partly due to doing a squat workout two days after a very heavy 20 rep squat workout. My groin looked like a ping pong ball was
trying to force its way out of my lower abdomen.

You definitely do not want to let a quack do the procedure.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

Had inguinal hernia in 2012 from too many kettlebell snatches (fuckloads) then moving a house full of furniture myself.

Was a weird feeling. Not pain. Bit of discomfort. Knew something wasn't right. Could feel it bulge when I coughed.

Saw GP then surgeon who booked me in for keyhole surgery and mesh repair the next day. Sore for two weeks. Training again after four. Random pains, scar tissue twinges and several episodes of thinking I'd torn the mesh or something. Then exactly one year on all problems stopped and 100% pain free.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

baffled wrote:I know a few bros here have had a "regular" hernia, but anyone had a sports hernia, or "core muscle injury" since that seems to be their new name?

I'm going to get checked out in the next week or two depending on what my work schedule looks like.

Trying to figure out how to handle this whole thing if my self-diagnosis is correct.

Between a stupid high deductible under Barrycare, and the chance Trumpcare will be much worse, I'm a little stumped.

Thinking of the medical tourism thing, but then I've got the chance of a doctor with a bone through his nose giving me a pig's blood IV and rooting around near my nutsack with an elephant tusk scalpel.

Ben Greenfield liked some peptide for a muscle tear or something, but again, who knows if it'd work for a hernia type injury and if that's a good idea to be injecting anything near my nuts.

Wanting to get my info right so I can be ready for worst case scenario.
Sports Hernia="Groin injury"=inguinal hernia.

They will not repair on their own. You can cruise a long long time without getting them repaired. When it goes it goes. You'' know cause your balls will swell up and you'll want to puke.

It's not your fault, inguinal hernias are congenital. Given where they are they will fuck with a number of things nervous system wise. If you look back in my log to 2014, you'll see where I thoght I had a torn meniscus. This was in fact a torn popliteus from shitty gate and lifting in pain with shite mechanics. You'll note groin strains, needing piss but not able to, kinda feel like you've been kicked in the gut when you squat etc....

Peptides will not do shit. Do not listen to that nutter. There is zero research supporting those compounds for hernias. Muscle and tendon repair yes, but not fascia. I've run a fuckload of peptide on various soft tissue injuries and have gotten very mild benefits at best. Nothing will fix the torn fascia you have going on in your guts. Get the surgery. Keyhole hernia repair is one of the most common procedures in the US....the recovery is No Fucking Joke. Ask for as much mesh as they will give you...I signed a waiver twice for mine. More mesh may also equal more long term pain. Mine hurts a little bit all the time...that said, it's solid.

Once I was cleared to lift again, I did a 20r squat progression topping at at 365x20 and 395x18, 9 and 12 weeks out from being cleared to lift. I loaded a 300 stone to 54" 10 weeks post surgery. In the ensuing years I've squatted and pulled over 6 about a dozen times each, went to masters worlds and have hit PR's in all my lifts and many of my throws. I was extremely cautious during the rehab, the only rule I broke was having sex about 10 days after. Once I was cleared i did a huge amount of ab work. Also, the coach I work for had his done 2 weeks before mine and we had very similar recoveries at ages 45-55.

As for long term pain...I won;t lie. It will probably always have little twinges of hot knitting needle pain and an odd sense of pressure most of the time...but it's worth it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Thanks, BD and others.

I've got crazy strong muscles all around my midsection, hips etc, and think that's probably how I've held it off all this time, but the last week or so, there's been more discomfort and it's not dissipating like it has when it's "flared" in the past.

I'll have to get checked and then see how I can get fixed without being driven into bankruptcy. Saw some stuff about the Surgery Center of Oklahoma, Medibid etc. I just know that when I was messing with my insurance company's cost estimator, it was going to run me over $6k out of pocket.
- Buck Brannaman

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

This article sums it up pretty well, but the one thing that's different is a true "hernia" may not exist, so they sometimes use the term "athletic pubalgia" since it could be muscle, tendon and/or ligament involvement. Sports hernias are usually where the abdominals/obliques and adductors attach at the pubic bone. Traditional hernias occur in the inguinal canal.

http://www.sportshernia.com/

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'd read similar things and seen that sports hernias are now referred to as core muscles injuries.

Getting this checked Monday.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Got lucky and had a surgeon's appointment open up while I was in with my primary.

Good news is I definitely don't have man cancer. Bad news is I need to get an ultrasound of the affected area.

$$$
- Buck Brannaman

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

Keep us updated. Good luck.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Ultrasound, performed by a pretty cute chick, didn't show anything.

It's hurting enough to keep me awake the last 3 nights now, so I guess next step is to bug my doctor to put in for an MRI.
- Buck Brannaman

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

baffled wrote:Ultrasound, performed by a pretty cute chick, didn't show anything.

It's hurting enough to keep me awake the last 3 nights now, so I guess next step is to bug my doctor to put in for an MRI.
no need to rush. your obamacare coverage isn't going away.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I wish it would.

I loved my plan that Obama said I could keep if I liked it.

Seriously though, this thing hurts like a motherfucker. I'd like that to stop.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Edited: fuck it all
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Finally got a solid general surgeon who strongly suspect a torn adductor tendon. Waiting on a referral to an orthopedic surgeon.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Only took 6 months, but I have a torn labrum in my hip that the Ortho thinks is screwing with everything else. Two MRIs, an ultrasound, x-ray... Nothing on the adductor.

I also have a cam lesion.

I apparently have shallow hip sockets to the point that I'm almost dysplastic.

Fun times.
- Buck Brannaman