Bonkers UFO stories in the New York Times

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Bonkers UFO stories in the New York Times

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/p ... -navy.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/p ... -reid.html

Some other reporters today said, paraphrasing “The Pentagon has never treated UFO stories with anything other than derision, this reflects a huge change.”

They’re describing stuff that’s pretty hard to explain, including recovered materials.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Bonkers UFO stories in the New York Times

Post by nafod »

Never heard about them through my naval aviation chain. Bummer.

I remember we all got super-excited when we picked up a Mach 2 mover on radar way out very the Atlantic one time. Turned out to be the Concorde, which was still cool.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I have to believe that there is still a lot of black money chasing this info. I hope we're not "backward" on this
“Internationally, we are the most backward country in the world on this issue,” Mr. Bigelow said in an interview. “Our scientists are scared of being ostracized, and our media is scared of the stigma. China and Russia are much more open and work on this with huge organizations within their countries. Smaller countries like Belgium, France, England and South American countries like Chile are more open, too.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Does the article talk about the one they found in Amish country?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

UFOs are an interesting phenomenon. The number of sightings is too high to dismiss it as fantasy or delusion. And the fact that it is dismissed outright by every official organisation makes you wonder. Russell UFO incident alone is strange enough to deny there was something going on. Carey's books Witness to Rosswell and The Children of Rosswell are an interesting read.

There are a lot of commonalities between UFOs and cults, religious movements, demons, angels, ghosts, cryptid sightings, and psychic phenomena, and lately some researchers - Jacques Vallee and Robbie Graham, for example, have shifted their focus away from extra-terrestrial explanations of UFOs.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

I don't know, I would expect now that everyone has a digital camera and camcorder attached to their hands, we would be seeing a lot more video and reports of UFO's not fewer.
One thing I know for sure, is that no species intelligent enough for interstellar travel is coming to Earth just to stick a probe up someone's ass.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

The truth is out there........
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

theoverman
Staff Sergeant

Post by theoverman »

Here's my rough hierarchy of shit that is likely

1. Pilots are collectively lying or have had visual hallucinations owing to all the suggestion of UFO culture...
2. Actual physical UFO's are explainable, like a clandestine test of a Lockhead MKV that was stumbled upon by some pilots, just as a for instance

3. Alien beings have either 1) traveled faster than the speed of light to get here or 2)have waited for millions of years for this window of human existence on earth only to fly around in the sky at Mach 4 just beyond our ability to communicate with them.

It's possible but it doesnt make any sense. Come talk to us or dont be seen at all, why the shenanigans?
riff raff fanclub president

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

theoverman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:06 pm Here's my rough hierarchy of shit that is likely

1. Pilots are collectively lying or have had visual hallucinations owing to all the suggestion of UFO culture...
2. Actual physical UFO's are explainable, like a clandestine test of a Lockhead MKV that was stumbled upon by some pilots, just as a for instance
3. Alien beings have either 1) traveled faster than the speed of light to get here or 2)have waited for millions of years for this window of human existence on earth only to fly around in the sky at Mach 4 just beyond our ability to communicate with them.

It's possible but it doesnt make any sense. Come talk to us or dont be seen at all, why the shenanigans?
And how come they only abduct farmers for their sexual explorations?

I choose Door #4, I just don't know what happened. A little mystery in our lives is fun, though.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

theoverman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:06 pm Here's my rough hierarchy of shit that is likely

As far as "talk to us" is concerned, amebae, for example, don't seem to try communicate with us much, yet we don't question their existence.

Being humans we tend to explain things at the level of our current knowledge and the ability to understand things. Entangled particles moving in the opposite direction close to the speed of light are the example of something (information?) moving faster than the light. As I mentioned earlier, some researchers move away from the extra-terrestrial explanations of UFO. It's a really big topic to put down in a few lines though.