Pavhole on Rogan

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Pavhole on Rogan

Post by Sangoma »

Shit, I am completely wrong. She is a famous actress.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Sangoma wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:30 am Shit, I am completely wrong. She is a famous actress.

Will you stop being a coy bitch....

Who is she?????

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Is her Master of Sport for being voted Russia's Hottest Woman in 2011?

A deeper google search shows it is for gymnastics.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Many of us here remember when DragonDoor / Pavel & CrossFit were in their early days of internet-fueled popularity. I find so much of this discussion fascinating. Not important, but fascinating. We all have known great athletes who struggled, post-glory days, to earn a living. Then, amazingly, IMO, we have Couch and Pavel who, arguably, changed the fitness landscape, both with rumors of incompetence or dishonesty swirling around them, and apparently load up multiple Brinks Trucks along the way.

I think "we" (society) eats this stuff up. "Is this guy legit, or full of it?... How did he pull this off?"

I wish someone would make a documentary or at least a film "based on a true story".

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Cayenne wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:50 pm Many of us here remember when DragonDoor / Pavel & CrossFit were in their early days of internet-fueled popularity. I find so much of this discussion fascinating. Not important, but fascinating. We all have known great athletes who struggled, post-glory days, to earn a living. Then, amazingly, IMO, we have Couch and Pavel who, arguably, changed the fitness landscape, both with rumors of incompetence or dishonesty swirling around them, and apparently load up multiple Brinks Trucks along the way.

I think "we" (society) eats this stuff up. "Is this guy legit, or full of it?... How did he pull this off?"

I wish someone would make a documentary or at least a film "based on a true story".
If this was Facebook, I'd hit "Like" on this. The Glassman story would have to be a mini-series.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:00 am
Cayenne wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:50 pm Many of us here remember when DragonDoor / Pavel & CrossFit were in their early days of internet-fueled popularity. I find so much of this discussion fascinating. Not important, but fascinating. We all have known great athletes who struggled, post-glory days, to earn a living. Then, amazingly, IMO, we have Couch and Pavel who, arguably, changed the fitness landscape, both with rumors of incompetence or dishonesty swirling around them, and apparently load up multiple Brinks Trucks along the way.

If this was Facebook, I'd hit "Like" on this. The Glassman story would have to be a mini-series.
On HBO, Showtime, or Vivid
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Funny to me that Pavel's (public anyway,) persona, is that he is a hard ass. (e.g., "The dishonor of aerobics". dissing on Pilates, etc.) Yet, he is "afraid" (what else could it really be, with the exception perhaps of knowing that "mystery" keeps him interesting to some,) to simply state his age? (I guess it could also be related to the back story that his age disproves certain claimed credentials, or just raises questions that would be tougher to deal with than simply acting like a Hollywood actress from the 40s when his age comes up.)

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

I will give Pavel credit in the fact that he never bad mouths anyone. He just sells his snake oil and counts his money.

You can't be this secretive and lie and not be called out however. The simple fact is, he didn't need to. Just play the Evil Pseudo Russian role would have been just fine. His old programs are good.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

This is a Maria Kozhevnikova fan account now.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

That's how a real MS looks like, friends.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

This is the shit that makes Strongfirst look like a bunch of salesmen. This guy posts the following in the Kettlebell section of the SF forum:

https://www.strongfirst.com/community/t ... iit.15635/
I’m not able to get back to the book right now Q&D.. would someone with more knowledge either summarize the depiction from the book about hyper glycolytic training such as metcons or HIIT causing high levels of acid build up, causing free radicals damaging mitochondria? Wherever I look for a study of this only positive effects are talked about from HIIT or metcon circuits adding to growth of mitochondria and longevity. Is this more of a theory from Pavel or are there actual studies I can check out? I have listened to a podcast focused on stating that high glycolic training can negatively affect the gut biome.
That's right, there are no studies demonstrating this. This is the theory developed by Victor Selouyanov, and even his academic followers admit that this has never been shown in vitro or in vivo. So, how do you reply to this? You could talk about Selouyanov's reasoning and positive results in athletes coached by his lab based on his methods. Or you could use faster and easier method. That's correct: you move it from "Kettlebells" section where it rightly belongs (it is about Q&D which is about kettlebells) to the "Other", which nobody reads. Sweep it under the carpet, so to speak.

This is very much in the manner in which the interview was done: talk and don't allow questions or objections. Professional integrity is for pussies.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Aren't you into Megareps?
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Just checked out the forum for the first time in a couple of weeks. Boy, did they ruin any fun with kettlebells.

I don't give 2 fucks about mitochondria or any of that shit.

There is nothing left to discuss, so they find a bullshit subject and analyze it to death. Remember when either DD or those idiots put out a whole book on the Turkish Getup?

They may be smart, but as soon as I read the names Stu McGill or Gray Cook, I shut the the thread down.

I can't wait until they turn the A + A into the new Z Health.

You want to minimize the bad shit in a complex? Do it sequentially as a chain. Or figure out how long the workout + rest periods should take. For example the workout is 15 minutes, divide by number of sets in 5 rounds . 25 . 900/25. Do it rest pause style starting a new set every 36 seconds.

I figured that out on my own to minimize fatigue but staying fresh enough to have good form. Bunch of sycophantic idiots.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

newguy wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:57 am
Sangoma wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:30 am Shit, I am completely wrong. She is a famous actress.

Will you stop being a coy bitch....

Who is she?????
Wow, I did not know she is a MS.
I saw her in the "Univer" (popular sitcom in 2008), she was good there :)

Luke

Post by Luke »

Mr Clean wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:47 pm I've interviewed/interrogated people for over 30 years and Pavel shows some serious signs of deception throughout this interview. His first response to the question of when he started lifting kettlebells. Raised his arm to answer the question. He was like a cat on a hot tin roof during the whole thing. Something strange happened when he got up to get more tea.
Yep. Weird.

Rogan, despite what you think of him, has been described as this era's Howard Stern. People want to be on his show. Pavel sounded like he was there against his will. The tea break was plain odd on audio, his "good questions" comment was pretty patronizing.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:13 pm
newguy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:23 am
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:36 am Generally I’d find this to be a huge red flag, but one of Pavel’s idiosyncrasies is he’s reflexively super-private even about matters that are irrelevant.
Stop being a tip licker.
I am not saying it’s not weird, it most certainly is. I’m saying that in the case of John Davies and others, it was a strong leading indicator that they were completely full of shit, including their technical knowledge. I don’t think that’s the case for Pavel.
LOL Davies moved to France where he tried to become a soccer guru, and now he pretends he is some kind of financial investment guru.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Speaking of A+A

According to people who do the research and work with TdF cyclists, the way to build mitochondria is via Zone 2 cardio training, and it's got to be 3+ hours weekly, preferably more, to do so.

Peter Attia's podcast below, with Inigo San Millan, PhD, is extremely informative and worth the long listen.

https://peterattiamd.com/inigosanmillan/

Where this pokes holes into Pavel's Q&D stuff is here:
You have 3 muscle fiber types
Type 1
Type 2
Type 2b

Type 1 are chock full of mitochondria
Type 2 less so
Type 2b even less so.

Yet Q&D focues on the Type 2b.

Yet 5 or 10 'explosive' push ups isn't hitting your 2bs. Neither is 5-10 explosive swings.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm Speaking of A+A

According to people who do the research and work with TdF cyclists, the way to build mitochondria is via Zone 2 cardio training, and it's got to be 3+ hours weekly, preferably more, to do so.

Peter Attia's podcast below, with Inigo San Millan, PhD, is extremely informative and worth the long listen.

Type 1
Type 2
Type 2b

Type 2 less so
Type 2b even less so.

Yet 5 or 10 'explosive' push ups isn't hitting your 2bs. Neither is 5-10 explosive swings.
Please, please, please... create a fake account on the SF site and post this. :prayer:
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm Speaking of A+A

Type 1
Type 2
Type 2b

Type 2 less so
Type 2b even less so.

Where do you find this shit? Great stuff Shaf.

I did read where DJ said the kettlebell community split and is now dead. He absolutely nailed it. Fredo had a lot to do with that.

JasonC
Gunny

Post by JasonC »

Hanglow Joe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 pm I did read where DJ said the kettlebell community split and is now dead. He absolutely nailed it. Fredo had a lot to do with that.
Interesting. Got a link or something? I don't follow DJ closely--he writes a lot and often I don't find it easy to follow his train of thought--but when he deigns to comment on things like this, I listen.
leansoliddogs.blog

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Also, interesting.

"Slow" twitch fibers doesn't refer to the speed of contraction. It refers to more how rapidly it runs out of fuel.

Ergo there is far more benefit in training the slow twitch fibers to be stronger than there is the fast twitch fibers to burn more fat.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

JasonC wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:17 pm
Hanglow Joe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 pm I did read where DJ said the kettlebell community split and is now dead. He absolutely nailed it. Fredo had a lot to do with that.
Interesting. Got a link or something? I don't follow DJ closely--he writes a lot and often I don't find it easy to follow his train of thought--but when he deigns to comment on things like this, I listen.
Post 4
https://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/sho ... tid/37060/

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

This mitochondria stuff is an oversimplification. Anything that gets your muscle going makes mitochondria grow. Different load regimes affect different muscle fibers.

Also, there is another parameter, besides the number of mitochondria, that Pavel missed: their oxidative capacity. Not every mitochondria is created equal; some are more efficient.

Lastly, the idea that excessive acidosis destroys mitochondria is bunk. Never been shown to happen.