Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator

Post by Turdacious »

Netflix documentary about the Bikram yoga guru, his history, and allegations of sexual assault and harassment. Apparently he raped several women; was abusive toward women, gays, and minorities; and fled the country after losing a civil suit-- but the fitness cult continues and appears to be going strong. Watchable despite mostly consisting of chicks talking and a vague soap opera vibe.

The big weakness is what it leaves out-- the woman who won the civil suit against him (his former legal counsel) now runs the business and gets all the revenue from it.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Is there revenue? The local Bikram places have all dropped the association since "Rapey Yoga" doesn't make a great franchise model.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:49 pm Is there revenue? The local Bikram places have all dropped the association since "Rapey Yoga" doesn't make a great franchise model.
I assume so, there are still several bikram studios near me. Most of the people interviewed made choices that choices that seemed foolish from the outside (which I guess a lot of rape victims/cult members do), but they struck me as credible victims except for the lawyer who runs things now. It seemed like she was spinning things and leaving a lot out.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Yoga preys on the gullibility and white guilt of Westerners.

EDIT: to correct spelling of "prey".
Last edited by Fat Cat on Thu May 07, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

This was a great documentary. The book by Benjamin Lorr about Bikram is also great.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Fat Cat wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:30 pm Yoga prays on the gullibility and white guilt of Westerners.
Deracinated middlebrow hicks, imo.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Mike Judge was really ahead of the curve.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:16 pm This was a great documentary. The book by Benjamin Lorr about Bikram is also great.
Agree with both the above. The book was surprising in that it discusses at length the benefits of the Bikram practice for the author and others he encountered, and the insanity of Bikram....and did it in a way that was refreshingly devoid of new age bullshit cliches.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ripe Turd »

I'm usually against ad hominem arguments, but I don't picture someone who has self-respect follow this man as "health" or "fitness" model.

Hanglow Joe wrote: Why do you need a program? Showing up a 1/2 hour a day and doing what you're doing is great. Try it for 4-6 weeks, you're not going to get dick cancer by not following a program.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

The man was in good shape when he was young

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... gYegQIARBJ

EDIT: how do you post a picture?

Last edited by Bram on Thu May 07, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

1. Copy the image location, paste it in here.

2. Highlight the image location.

3. Hit the button in the full editor that looks like a photo and says insert image when you highlight it.

4. It helps to have a space between the image address and the image brackets like so: Image

5. Hit preview to make sure it works.

6. Hit post.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thanks FC!

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I have never encountered anyone with a haircut that screams Asshole who was not a huge one.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Although I don't disagree with that metric, his haircut seems fairly typical of any fitness person from whenever that was taken.

He does have an arrogant looking expression though.