Wu Flu

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: Wu Flu

Post by seeahill »

I mailed a case of Vaseline to Gav. Pray to God he gets it.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

We are two weeks behind Italy, and Italy is now considered to have locked down too late.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Those million test kits apparently didn't include RNA extraction kits, which are backordered because other countries bought them first.

South Korea has apparently managed this well by massive testing, which the US will be unable to do before we catch up to where Italy was a couple days ago.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Spells, a few days ago when we had 15 cases Der Pumpkin Von Malarkatron promised us it's be down to one or zero in just a bit. Not sure why you are worried.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:43 pm Those million test kits apparently didn't include RNA extraction kits, which are backordered because other countries bought them first.

South Korea has apparently managed this well by massive testing, which the US will be unable to do before we catch up to where Italy was a couple days ago.
Oh please. The appropriation request hasn’t even gotten out of the house
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Mass testing is one of the theatricals adored by the public. Doesn't change anything, even for severely ill patients, as there is no effective anti-viral for COVID-19.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Gav wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:17 pm Lockdown is starting here in some pretty important places.
How are things now? Anything you wish you’d done say, 11 days ago?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Sangoma wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 am Mass testing is one of the theatricals adored by the public. Doesn't change anything, even for severely ill patients, as there is no effective anti-viral for COVID-19.
This is flatly wrong. If you slow the pace of transmission you can prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. Testing heavily and then aggressively contacting exposed people to quarantine/test can and has slowed transmission in South Korea.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Sangoma wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 am Mass testing is one of the theatricals adored by the public. Doesn't change anything, even for severely ill patients, as there is no effective anti-viral for COVID-19.
That seems strange and counterintuitive.

It seems to me that the doing everything possible to identify and quarantine people with the corona is essential to slowing the spread? And that you can't do this without aggressively testing people who were potentially exposed.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

The NBA just suspended its season. Possible infection in one of the coaches for one of the teams in teh Big 10 tournament-- wonder if the NCAA tournaments will be next.
https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/ ... d-19/live/
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

newguy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 am

It seems to me that the doing everything possible to identify and quarantine people with the corona is essential to slowing the spread? And that you can't do this without aggressively testing people who were potentially exposed.
As I understand it mass testing wouldn't really help. An infected person is contagious at the beginning of the incubation period (the period of time from when they contract the virus to when they first display symptoms), and the incubation period lasts several days. It's kind of like flu season-- people get sick in waves, not all at the same time (even within households).

This is the best overview I've seen or heard (there's some good info at the CIDRAP website too, but its serially disorganized). For most of us here-- not really at severe risk and neither are our kids. Our parents on the other hand are a different story. Old age plus other risk factors (obesity, upper respiratory issues, high blood pressure, smoking, heart disease, etc...) increase risk of death and severe sickness significantly.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

When you understand that the entire collective community is the patient, then it makes sense.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Turdacious wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:55 am
newguy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 am

As I understand it mass testing wouldn't really help. An infected person is contagious at the beginning of the incubation period (the period of time from when they contract the virus to when they first display symptoms), and the incubation period lasts several days. It's kind of like flu season-- people get sick in waves, not all at the same time (even within households).

This is the best overview I've seen or heard (there's some good info at the CIDRAP website too, but its serially disorganized). For most of us here-- not really at severe risk and neither are our kids. Our parents on the other hand are a different story. Old age plus other risk factors (obesity, upper respiratory issues, high blood pressure, smoking, heart disease, etc...) increase risk of death and severe sickness significantly.
I know there is a cost/benefit thing. But to me it still seems like aggressive testing can shorten the window of exposure.

But let's say I am sick. I get tested. Turns out I have Corona. Clearly there was a time lapse of X days where I've exposed people. But now you aggressively test people I'm associated with. Catch them earlier than I was caught hopefully and limit their time of exposure. And if one of them has it then test their people.

The earlier you can catch the earlier you can quarantine?

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Ok I’m not dead. Tim thanks for the Vaseline it bought back memories.
Current situation is, everything shut apart from supermarkets/food shops and chemists (drug stores). Lots of categories are off work, many are still working. I just came home to put myself in self isolation and the streets are eerily quiet.
Unfortunately my wife has just found out a colleague of hers is positive and is now quarantined at home, hence why I’ve had to come home.
To answer Spells, many people have taken it too lightly over here, myself included. I went running with a few teammates at the weekend which wasn’t the brightest thing to do. My advice to you over there is to follow all the precautions they talk about on the news and expect it to get miles worse.
If you have any other questions shoot. I’m at home with fuck all to do. Btw, I’ve got a broken hand right now so I can’t wash my hands either 🙈
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

GL Gav.
I know there is a cost/benefit thing. But to me it still seems like aggressive testing can shorten the window of exposure.
Yeah, for a simpler example, both my kids are coughing, one had a fever. Took them to doctor Saturday and neither can be tested.

If they are positive for COVID 19, I would stop going to clients, the gym, the airport, and my office, and their classmates would not go on field trips and might not go to school. Instead, the fever passed (normal for a 4 year old with COVID 19) and he goes back to school and my wife's employer wants her to travel for work. We have no known exposure to a positive-tested person, because there's no testing, so it's hard to argue for taking drastic steps.

This isn't mysterious. There's a whole thing about flattening the curve so hospitals can keep up and it's extremely hard to do that without testing, since you can't practically self-quarantine when all have you have to go on is a kid's cough.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Good luck with the kiddos!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

I don’t want to get into an age old argument about private vs national health but I think you’ll be severely penalised in the states as far as testing is concerned. I read the tests are like 3000$ over there but I didn’t know if that’s true.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Yea, my son lives in Colorado where its been popping up, and he called me to ask what to do since he had difficulty breathing and a cough, etc. He has mild asthma too. He’s also in-between jobs with just a catastrophic health plan coverage for the moment. I told him to go see the doctor, I’d cover the cost. Standing by for my ass raping/bill.

They said he’s clean, just a standard old virus, not our special one.

Lots of folks are going to just skip seeing the doc for cost reasons. Roll the dice, they probably don’t have it in the first place, and they’re probably not in the bad 1-2% if they do, and if they’re contagious, too bad so sad.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:06 pm Good luck with the kiddos!
Thanks but they'll be solid. I had to pull the data for a webinar on this today. Little guys practically shrug this off.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

nafod wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:21 pm Yea, my son lives in Colorado where its been popping up, and he called me to ask what to do since he had difficulty breathing and a cough, etc. He has mild asthma too. He’s also in-between jobs with just a catastrophic health plan coverage for the moment. I told him to go see the doctor, I’d cover the cost. Standing by for my ass raping/bill.

They said he’s clean, just a standard old virus, not our special one.

Lots of folks are going to just skip seeing the doc for cost reasons. Roll the dice, they probably don’t have it in the first place, and they’re probably not in the bad 1-2% if they do, and if they’re contagious, too bad so sad.
I feel for you. Not to worry though, are only 327 million of you 🙈🙈🙈

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 pm
Thanks but they'll be solid. I had to pull the data for a webinar on this today. Little guys practically shrug this off.
What's the death for the sub 10 group?

Any data on infants?

And where are you pulling this from?

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

newguy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 pm
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 pm
What's the death for the sub 10 group?

Any data on infants?

And where are you pulling this from?
Almost zero.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Sub 10 is almost zero. Data was combined from CDC and WHO by National Geographic.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Trump's been in physical contact with at least two people who've since tested positive, but will not be tested. This seems like a very strange decision.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Testing asymptomatic patients is not useful.

[Potential false-positive rate among the 'asymptomatic infected individuals' in close contacts of COVID-19 patients]
Results:
When the infection rate of the close contacts and the sensitivity and specificity of reported results were taken as the point estimates, the positive predictive value of the active screening was only 19.67%, in contrast, the false-positive rate of positive results was 80.33%. The multivariate-probabilistic sensitivity analysis results supported the base-case findings, with a 75% probability for the false-positive rate of positive results over 47%.

Conclusions:
In the close contacts of COVID-19 patients, nearly half or even more of the 'asymptomatic infected individuals' reported in the active nucleic acid test screening might be false positives.