My State Has Gone Full Fucking Clownship

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Gav
Sgt. Major

Re: My State Has Gone Full Fucking Clownship

Post by Gav »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:31 pm
Gav wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 am I’m dumbfounded by the reaction from you guys. Spells already gave you the perfect example on how to stop it. Just copy what South Korea did.

This is the army in Bergamo transporting the dead to other cities because all their morgues are full.
6BD9B014-DF58-4DBB-B1EB-1450F5A25A0F.jpeg
You can't. It's as simple as that. You might as well wish that we all started speaking Korean overnight. South Korea has laws that allow for invasions of privacy that are simply impossible to institute in the United States, and your inability to contextualize is what is really dumbfounding. In SK, if you test positive for COVID-19, they will text your name to all your neighbors and coworkers, telling them to report for mandatory testing. These kinds of measure violate so many US laws that you would create 100 years of litigation.
FFS Fats, I’m not talking about texting your neighbours etc if Trump tells you all to stay at home and the army will bring you food, are you telling me you can’t do that to save yourselves? If that’s the case I feel sorry for you all.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

nafod wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:24 pmOf course we'd have to have death panels in order to decide who gets the rare available ventilator. Conservatives love death panels.
Some phrases enter our society and do harm for decades. Protect the children. If it saves one life. Keeping us safe. Just doing my job. It's not personal.These are mind viruses which turn off rational thought. "Death panels" has already caused a lot of suffering and will continue to do so. Triage is an essential part of health care delivery. Also, resources are finite. There are only so many beds, nurses, doctors, etc. Determinations have to be made. But as soon as anyone suggests having some sort of oversight or pre-treatment assessment, someone will say "death panels!" and then all sensible discussion stops and no workable policies can be even tried.

Experiment is another such mind killer. 'There's this experimental treatment . . .". "You want to experiment on my mother?". Randomized trials is another one --"so you're not going to give her any medicine, you're just going to wait for her to die? for your experiment?" As if researchers are Dr Frankenstein.

It's crazy to think that a single phrase (or tweet) can and should cancel out all other arguments. Yet that's what we've accepted. I have attempted to discuss genetic screening with people, and it always ends quickly with my interlocutor playing one of these cards, like it's bridge: Eugenics. Gattaca. Nazis. Just throw one of those cards on the table and the position of our society is decided.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Gav wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:28 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:31 pm
Gav wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 am I’m dumbfounded by the reaction from you guys. Spells already gave you the perfect example on how to stop it. Just copy what South Korea did.

This is the army in Bergamo transporting the dead to other cities because all their morgues are full.
6BD9B014-DF58-4DBB-B1EB-1450F5A25A0F.jpeg
You can't. It's as simple as that. You might as well wish that we all started speaking Korean overnight. South Korea has laws that allow for invasions of privacy that are simply impossible to institute in the United States, and your inability to contextualize is what is really dumbfounding. In SK, if you test positive for COVID-19, they will text your name to all your neighbors and coworkers, telling them to report for mandatory testing. These kinds of measure violate so many US laws that you would create 100 years of litigation.
FFS Fats, I’m not talking about texting your neighbours etc if Trump tells you all to stay at home and the army will bring you food, are you telling me you can’t do that to save yourselves? If that’s the case I feel sorry for you all.
I will be as cooperative as I can be, and for as long as I see it as being in the interest of my family's welfare. That said, you were talking about imitating South Korea and my response was directed to that. Also, nobody is offering to bring me food at home, so that's not really an available possibility right now. Is that what they're doing in Lombardy?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Yes they are doing that. Obviously they didn’t start that way. The measures were implemented over time once they realised how serious the situation was.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Well no such luck here, friendo. I don't really eat in restaurants anyway, but you still have to go to work, shop for food, gas station, etc.

So, tell us more about your situation. It may be as close to a crystal ball for our future as we are likely to get. Are people dropping out all around you?

Also, a lot of speculation has gone on about why Northern Italy has been hit so hard, and has such a high mortality rate. Things that have been mentioned in US media about the situation include:

-its aging population,
-its close connections to Wuhan,
-Italy being late on restricting travel to/from China (March 10 vs. USA January 31),
-close living conditions,
-social habits like kissing as a greeting, and
-high levels of smoking.

Does any of this ring true? What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Fat Cat on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Yes. Gav has insight and experience we are likely to have in two or three weeks. Talking with Gav is like looking into the future.

So, Gav, anything you see the US not doing that needs to be done?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

He PM'd me that we need to purge all broke dick travel writers, they're known vectors.

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

These are not particularly good times in the travel writing biz.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I am seriously thinking about going camping this weekend. I'd rather do battle with Lyme disease at the moment.
Don’t believe everything you think.

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

nafod wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:31 am I am seriously thinking about going camping this weekend. I'd rather do battle with Lyme disease at the moment.
Don't ask Shape.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Where is shapebaby? Do we need to do a welfare check on that little Vulcan-eared bitch?

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:16 pm Well no such luck here, friendo. I don't really eat in restaurants anyway, but you still have to go to work, shop for food, gas station, etc.

So, tell us more about your situation. It may be as close to a crystal ball for our future as we are likely to get. Are people dropping out all around you?

Also, a lot of speculation has gone on about why Northern Italy has been hit so hard, and has such a high mortality rate. Things that have been mentioned in US media about the situation include:

-its aging population,
-Italy being late on restricting travel to/from China (March 10 vs. USA January 31),
-high levels of smoking.

The high mortality rate could have something to do with the fact that Italy has a high percentage of elderly citizens. Obviously they are the most likely to die from Covid-19.

As far as the wuhan connection goes its absolutely not true. Patient 1 had met with a Chinese businessman but he was negative. Patient 0 was actually a German colleague he’d spent time with. As of today there is not one positive Chinese person in Italy. Why, you ask? As soon as the Chinese community heard it had arrived they self quarantined.

The numbers increased quickly for various reasons. Patient 1 is a runner and did two races in two weeks before falling ill. He obviously came into contact with thousands of people.
Italians are not the most disciplined race on earth and took no notice of the initial measures that were brought in. Now that things are drastic there are still idiots carrying on like nothing is happening.

Greetings such as kissing will surely have helped worsen the situation. On the other hand I doubt smoking makes any difference for most people. If you‘re a 75 year old smoker And die from it, the fact you smoked for 50 years might have something to do with it.

It’s increasingly obvious even to complete idiots that zero contact with anyone is the only solution.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm As far as the wuhan connection goes its absolutely not true. Patient 1 had met with a Chinese businessman but he was negative. Patient 0 was actually a German colleague he’d spent time with. As of today there is not one positive Chinese person in Italy. Why, you ask? As soon as the Chinese community heard it had arrived they self quarantined.
That's not what is being reported here. Look at reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1ZT31H
reuters wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm"Following the outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 which started in Wuhan, Hubei, China, the Italian government confirmed the country's first cases of the disease on 30 January 2020, when the virus was detected in two Chinese tourists visiting Italy. A third case was confirmed on 7 February, with the patient being an Italian man evacuated from Wuhan."
Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pmThe numbers increased quickly for various reasons. Patient 1 is a runner and did two races in two weeks before falling ill. He obviously came into contact with thousands of people.
Fucking runners, amirite?! Oh wait...you're a runner, aren't you? [-o<
Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pmItalians are not the most disciplined race on earth
I had not heard that.
Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pmGreetings such as kissing will surely have helped worsen the situation. On the other hand I doubt smoking makes any difference for most people. If you‘re a 75 year old smoker And die from it, the fact you smoked for 50 years might have something to do with it.

It’s increasingly obvious even to complete idiots that zero contact with anyone is the only solution.
Not sure about that, either: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... nfection1/

Smoking almost certainly influences how severe one's reaction to the virus is. How could it not?

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:16 pm Well no such luck here, friendo. I don't really eat in restaurants anyway, but you still have to go to work, shop for food, gas station, etc.

-its aging population,
-high levels of smoking.

The high mortality rate could have something to do with the fact that Italy has a high percentage of elderly citizens. Obviously they are the most likely to die from Covid-19.

As far as the wuhan connection goes its absolutely not true. Patient 1 had met with a Chinese businessman but he was negative. Patient 0 was actually a German colleague he’d spent time with. As of today there is not one positive Chinese person in Italy. Why, you ask? As soon as the Chinese community heard it had arrived they self quarantined.

The numbers increased quickly for various reasons. Patient 1 is a runner and did two races in two weeks before falling ill. He obviously came into contact with thousands of people.
Italians are not the most disciplined race on earth and took no notice of the initial measures that were brought in. Now that things are drastic there are still idiots carrying on like nothing is happening.

Greetings such as kissing will surely have helped worsen the situation. On the other hand I doubt smoking makes any difference for most people. If you‘re a 75 year old smoker And die from it, the fact you smoked for 50 years might have something to do with it.

The pic you posted earlier was an eye opener. Thanks for that and this.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:27 pm
Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm As far as the wuhan connection goes its absolutely not true. Patient 1 had met with a Chinese businessman but he was negative. Patient 0 was actually a German colleague he’d spent time with. As of today there is not one positive Chinese person in Italy. Why, you ask? As soon as the Chinese community heard it had arrived they self quarantined.
That's not what is being reported here. Look at reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1ZT31H
reuters wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pm"Following the outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 which started in Wuhan, Hubei, China, the Italian government confirmed the country's first cases of the disease on 30 January 2020, when the virus was detected in two Chinese tourists visiting Italy. A third case was confirmed on 7 February, with the patient being an Italian man evacuated from Wuhan."
Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pmThe numbers increased quickly for various reasons. Patient 1 is a runner and did two races in two weeks before falling ill. He obviously came into contact with thousands of people.
Fucking runners, amirite?! Oh wait...you're a runner, aren't you? [-o<
Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pmItalians are not the most disciplined race on earth
I had not heard that.
Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:30 pmGreetings such as kissing will surely have helped worsen the situation. On the other hand I doubt smoking makes any difference for most people. If you‘re a 75 year old smoker And die from it, the fact you smoked for 50 years might have something to do with it.

Not sure about that, either: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... nfection1/

Smoking almost certainly influences how severe one's reaction to the virus is. How could it not?
The Wuhan connection is false. They thought that in the beginning but what I wrote before is true. It took them a few days work it out.

Yes I’m a runner but have been very sensible since this thing started.

Obviously smoking isn’t going to help anything. I think we knew that already before Coronavirus came along.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

This is my run in my garden yesterday. Doing a 180 degree turn every 12 seconds is no fun but it’s better than catching/ spreading the virus.
Attachments
21A675E1-458C-4C2E-8EE4-073C2B00CE0E.png
21A675E1-458C-4C2E-8EE4-073C2B00CE0E.png (318.27 KiB) Viewed 4188 times

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:11 pm This is my run in my garden yesterday. Doing a 180 degree turn every 12 seconds is no fun but it’s better than catching/ spreading the virus.
In Born to Run...who is the runner that was jailed by communist so he ran in the bathtub on towels?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Emil Zátopek

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Good info Gav, keep it coming. I can easily believe that there was confusion about how things came to be, and all we know here is what read in the garbage media.

Keep those balls vaseline'd up and stay frosty iceman!

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Gav, that run pattern looks suspiciously like the paint job someone did on the hood of your car a few years back.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:50 pmEmil Zátopek
Legend 🙌

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Gav wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:11 pm This is my run in my garden yesterday. Doing a 180 degree turn every 12 seconds is no fun but it’s better than catching/ spreading the virus.
Looks like you got coronavirus of the frontal lobe
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Dr. Giorgio Palù, the former president of the European and Italian Society for Virology and a professor of virology and microbiology of the University of Padova, said, "the Italian government lagged at first. It was "lazy in the beginning... too much politics in Italy."

"There was a proposal to isolate people coming from the epicenter, coming from China," he said. "Then it became seen as racist, but they were people coming from the outbreak." That, he said, led to the current devastating situation

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/18/euro ... index.html

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

We got that too. Different. Sorta.

I understand that governor Wolf has to flatten the curve. I've been self quarantining for weeks now. Work, food, post office, home.

Some clarify would be appreciated in the process. He issued a second one a few days later.

eyechart.JPG
eyechart.JPG (97.98 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Don't like yourself too much.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Gene wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm We got that too. Different. Sorta.

I understand that governor Wolf has to flatten the curve. I've been self quarantining for weeks now. Work, food, post office, home.

Some clarify would be appreciated in the process. He issued a second one a few days later.

eyechart.JPG
Just out of curiosity, how many weeks have you been in self quarantine and why?