Wu Flu

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Re: Wu Flu

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:04 am Whew the city dodged a bullet. It really could have been "bring out your dead" time. Thank god the virus wasn't as bad as everyone feared.
Amen, brother.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:02 am
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:59 am
The Ginger Beard Man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 am Antibody testing is starting to become available. But they are prioritizing first responders and hospital workers.
FWIW they've done some randomized tests in NYC and found unsurprisingly a sig % of ppl had been infected without symptoms.
Pretty sure my wife is one of those. In this apartment, there’s no way i had it and she didn’t. We’re also pretty sure she gave it to me.
My wife had all the symptoms right after she went back to school after Christmas break. Some kid actually went to China over the break and after that a wave of what they thought was the flu went through the school.
She had a cough I've never heard before. Basically nonstop for a few weeks. Had to get two separate inhalers to try and calm it down. I never noticed anything with me, health wise. I felt a bit run down for a few days, but tossed that up to just her being ill.
As soon as she can get antibody testing she will. We're hoping it's already run its course through our house.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:04 am
The Ginger Beard Man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 am Antibody testing is starting to become available. But they are prioritizing first responders and hospital workers.
FWIW they've done some randomized tests in NYC and found unsurprisingly a sig % of ppl had been infected without symptoms.
Pretty sure my wife is one of those. In this apartment, there’s no way i had it and she didn’t. We’re also pretty sure she gave it to me.

My wife had all the symptoms right after she went back to school after Christmas break. Some kid actually went to China over the break and after that a wave of what they thought was the flu went through the school.
She had a cough I've never heard before. Basically nonstop for a few weeks. Had to get two separate inhalers to try and calm it down. I never noticed anything with me, health wise. I felt a bit run down for a few days, but tossed that up to just her being ill.
As soon as she can get antibody testing she will. We're hoping it's already run its course through our house.
If I remember right, you’re in Georgia? Anywhere near that southeastern Georgia town that got hammered early on?
I’ll be interested to hear if your wife had it that early.
My father in law, in Minneapolis, almost died of a mysterious pneumonia that had him on a ventilator. I want him to get an antibody test.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 am NYC is an outlier. The single most massive outlier of all population groups in the entire world when taken by itself.
Another outlier of a completely different sort was Ketchum, ID (Sun Valley Ski Resort). Small mountain town, but with lots of outsiders coming in. They got absolutely clobbered, up there with NYC on a per capita basis. I've got a friend there, so kept an eye on it.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:39 pm

If I remember right, you’re in Georgia? Anywhere near that southeastern Georgia town that got hammered early on?
I’ll be interested to hear if your wife had it that early.
My father in law, in Minneapolis, almost died of a mysterious pneumonia that had him on a ventilator. I want him to get an antibody test.
That town is Albany. It's a few hours south of Atlanta. But the match that lit the fire down there came from here. A guy's brother died and he went from ATL to the funeral. Took it with him and apparently infected A LOT of the people at the funeral who then spread it like wildfire.

With Hartsfield being such a big international airport, it wouldn't surprise me if Atlanta was an very early adopter, well before it became a known thing.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

The antibody tests here (Southern Cali) have been kind of weird. I've got two friends who were in Italy and came back right as it was hitting there. Both had fairly serious Covid19 like sickness. Not hospital worthy, but the classic trouble breathing, etc. Recovered. They went to get the antibody test as soon as it was open to everyone (4 hour wait!) and one tested that they'd had it....the other tested they didn't. Impossible. Same house....same symptoms, etc.

I know another family who had one of those mysterious illnesses in early Feb. Whole house sick with a covid19 like illness. No one knew at the time what was going on other than "Wow they are sick."

Once we knew about the corona we all "knew" that is what they had.

Mom got the antibody test and it is saying nope. She didn't have it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The tests have a lot of error. An issue is the number of false positives. I forget the values, but if you tested a 1000 people who had no way to be exposed, you’d expect a decent number to come up positive anyway, like 15-20. Something of that magnitude.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

nafod wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:50 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 am NYC is an outlier. The single most massive outlier of all population groups in the entire world when taken by itself.
Another outlier of a completely different sort was Ketchum, ID (Sun Valley Ski Resort). Small mountain town, but with lots of outsiders coming in. They got absolutely clobbered, up there with NYC on a per capita basis. I've got a friend there, so kept an eye on it.
"Outsiders" lolo

Those Wyoming residents sure screwed them huh?

It was New Yorkers or Celebs who got it in New York that caused that outbreak.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

BREAKING: Funeral Directors in COVID-19 Epicenter Doubt Legitimacy of Deaths Attributed to Pandemic, Fear Numbers are 'Padded'

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/bre ... of-deaths/

I understand that PV is a pretty mixed bag as a source, but the interviews are real and express some of what I'm observing.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I bet we are under-counting significantly. Comparison to historical records, which are consistent from year to year, will give us the data.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm BREAKING: Funeral Directors in COVID-19 Epicenter Doubt Legitimacy of Deaths Attributed to Pandemic, Fear Numbers are 'Padded'

I understand that PV is a pretty mixed bag as a source, but the interviews are real and express some of what I'm observing.
Of course they’re padded. Hospitals have an absolute responsibility to their communities to do it
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

nafod wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:06 pm I bet we are under-counting significantly. Comparison to historical records, which are consistent from year to year, will give us the data.

All you keep showing is that NYC is a disaster area and Cuomo is an utter incompetent. +50% of the deaths are in nursing homes ffs. The one area we did all this to protect. There is nothing to extrapolate from NYC to the rest of the country. Nothing.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Why does Cuomo hate old people? I mean they do tend to vote republican but...oh. Oh my.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Turdacious wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:11 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm BREAKING: Funeral Directors in COVID-19 Epicenter Doubt Legitimacy of Deaths Attributed to Pandemic, Fear Numbers are 'Padded'

Of course they’re padded. Hospitals have an absolute responsibility to their communities to do it

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Lol is the yellow hat dude jewish?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

You can't just lead a witness like that.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

The padded numbers bullshit is pretty hard to swallow coming from a health care family. my husband has a hard enough time getting patients admitted from the ER. i seriously doubt they are coordinated enough to pull off this shit. Here's the thing. Sudden admissions are super expensive, rarely profitable. Elective surgeries provide way more money. Padding numbers is really bad for profitable hospital income. Maybe you think that this world wide pandemic is some kind of greatly coordinated effort to benefit one company.

In other words, I think you all who think this is padding are pretty fucking stupid.

I also have a biochemistry degree and did infectious disease research for 10 years.

And again, you conspiracy theorists are pretty fucking dumb.

I used to mutate HIV to be drug resistant and grow it in concentrations 1000xs higher than present in humans because we were testing drugs. I wore a mask, 2 gowns, sprayed everything with alcohol, was in an air locked P3 lab. Never felt unsafe. And yet, with my mask on, at the grocery store, with fucking assholes blabbing into their cell phones with no mask on in front of all the produce, I'm really afraid I will bring this home to my dad.

Fucking asshole morons. "Mah freedom". Whatever, it doesn't take a lot of unselfish consideration to wear a fucking mask in enclosed spaces with strangers.

Here are my farfetched conspiracy theories that you all will think are bullshit (and I hope are also):

1. Lack of testing in the US is an attempt to hide total cases and therefore remove lockdown attempts.
2. Reopening early is an attempt to avoid paying PPP loans and unemployment.
3. Both are a combination of trying to bring war down upon the poor and small businesses to open opportunities for large corporations to come in and take over small business areas such as Wal-Mart, etc.
4. No one actually cares if immigrants die which is why guest workers are still allowed under Trump's immigrant ban. Cause, we don't care if brown people die.

This is all a whole bunch of bullshit. I hope no one you loves dies. For real. My mom just died. It really sucks.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

From SARS2?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Who knows. There were no tests available.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Were the symptoms consistent?

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

No. She had a surgery complication and for unexpected reasons, her heart failed. Everyone was surprised by that.

I wasn't implying she had covid. Just that I lost someone important to me.

regardless, there was no reason for her heart failure. Which clotting with covid is apparently an issue. I don't think she had covid.

I just know my mom died.

And if any of you lose someone important to you, well, I'm very very sorry. Its awful.

No matter why.

What exactly is your point?

Death is tragic. no matter why.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

The reason this is such a huge issue is because the federal government has failed to provide any consistent leadership. And failed leadership is deadly.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

syaigh wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:03 am The padded numbers bullshit is pretty hard to swallow coming from a health care family. my husband has a hard enough time getting patients admitted from the ER. i seriously doubt they are coordinated enough to pull off this shit. Here's the thing. Sudden admissions are super expensive, rarely profitable. Elective surgeries provide way more money. Padding numbers is really bad for profitable hospital income. Maybe you think that this world wide pandemic is some kind of greatly coordinated effort to benefit one company.

In other words, I think you all who think this is padding are pretty fucking stupid.

I also have a biochemistry degree and did infectious disease research for 10 years.

I used to mutate HIV to be drug resistant and grow it in concentrations 1000xs higher than present in humans because we were testing drugs. I wore a mask, 2 gowns, sprayed everything with alcohol, was in an air locked P3 lab. Never felt unsafe. And yet, with my mask on, at the grocery store, with fucking assholes blabbing into their cell phones with no mask on in front of all the produce, I'm really afraid I will bring this home to my dad.

Fucking asshole morons. "Mah freedom". Whatever, it doesn't take a lot of unselfish consideration to wear a fucking mask in enclosed spaces with strangers.

Here are my farfetched conspiracy theories that you all will think are bullshit (and I hope are also):

1. Lack of testing in the US is an attempt to hide total cases and therefore remove lockdown attempts.
3. Both are a combination of trying to bring war down upon the poor and small businesses to open opportunities for large corporations to come in and take over small business areas such as Wal-Mart, etc.
4. No one actually cares if immigrants die which is why guest workers are still allowed under Trump's immigrant ban. Cause, we don't care if brown people die.

This is all a whole bunch of bullshit. I hope no one you loves dies. For real. My mom just died. It really sucks.
Sorry about your mother, syaigh! Whatever you may think of us or our discussion, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we are sending you positive vibes.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:47 am
syaigh wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:03 am The padded numbers bullshit is pretty hard to swallow coming from a health care family. my husband has a hard enough time getting patients admitted from the ER. i seriously doubt they are coordinated enough to pull off this shit. Here's the thing. Sudden admissions are super expensive, rarely profitable. Elective surgeries provide way more money. Padding numbers is really bad for profitable hospital income. Maybe you think that this world wide pandemic is some kind of greatly coordinated effort to benefit one company.

Sorry about your mother, syaigh! Whatever you may think of us or our discussion, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we are sending you positive vibes.
Yes, for sure.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

One. Hospital labor costs are through the roof, but revenues are down. A lot of safety net hospitals are down to 10-25 days of working capital. This is extremely bad.
Two. The economy is really bad right now, especially for working class people. My guess is that people in poor health tend to be the most likely to lose their jobs due to COVID-19. So the likelihood that an uninsured person is going to be able to pay their bill is lower than it normally is. This hurts hospital revenues as well.
Three. A lot of hospitals that are hurting the most are Safetynet hospitals, essentially hospitals where there’s only one hospital that it serves the area. If one of these hospitals goes broke, everyone in that area suffers, and so does every hospital that has to pick up the slack for those patients.

All of these, combined with the fact that hospitals can actually get paid if they classify somebody as a COVID-19 patient as opposed to probably not getting paid, creates a perverse incentives for hospitals to to do this. And it really is a matter of survival for a lot of them.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule