Wu Flu

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Bennyonesix1

Re: Wu Flu

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Look, I hate both parties and always have, but if you actually think the death count is a function of the GOP at the federal level you are dumb and or insane.

NY and NJ and PA knowingly sent positives into nursing homes. And two out of three of those are DEM pols and the GOP pol is anti-Trump.

And nursing home deaths are over 50% of all deaths.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:18 pm Look, I hate both parties and always have, but if you actually think the death count is a function of the GOP at the federal level...
What???
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

nafod wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:28 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:18 pm Look, I hate both parties and always have, but if you actually think the death count is a function of the GOP at the federal level...
What???
I've been thinking about the great & horrible events in the US: Civil War, Great Depression, WW2, 911 & etc. They always seem to include cockups of one bloody disaster after another, and then we work through them.

Sure, Donny (who I generally like) and Andy Cuomo (who I generally despise) have some major fuck ups between them but, like Pearl Harbor, this came raging out of the East and people did the best they could. How different would things be today if Hillary were president and NY's last good governor (George Pataki) were handling things? Not that much to my guesstimation.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Uhhh it didn't take a genius to see the nursing homes were job #1 or at worst job #1a.

This is all on NYC.

All this crap about testing and contract tracing is to distract from the murderously incompetent jobs NYC and PA and NJ did.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:44 pm
What???
I've been thinking about the great & horrible events in the US: Civil War, Great Depression, WW2, 911 & etc. They always seem to include cockups of one bloody disaster after another, and then we work through them.

Sure, Donny (who I generally like) and Andy Cuomo (who I generally despise) have some major fuck ups between them but, like Pearl Harbor, this came raging out of the East and people did the best they could. How different would things be today if Hillary were president and NY's last good governor (George Pataki) were handling things? Not that much to my guesstimation.
Second half of January, all of February and the first half of March was the lost chance. From the eternal shitshow of testing (HTF did the SORKs, Germans, and the WHO beat us by months with a valid test?) to the unbelievable incompetence of messaging ("It'll just disappear, stock market's looking pretty good") to the lies on the backside ("I always knew it was a pandemic").

I struggle to imagine how he could have screwed it up more.

Hillary's Emails is a policy wonk, and pandemic prep is just the sort of wonk stuff she'd have been excited about. The specific pandemic task force would not have been disbanded.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:54 pm We've all been fucked by NYC.
Not for the first time. It's a sewer with airs of urbanity. People forget, Ellis Island was a quarantine facility.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

nafod wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:59 pm
What???

Second half of January, all of February and the first half of March was the lost chance. From the eternal shitshow of testing (HTF did the SORKs, Germans, and the WHO beat us by months with a valid test?) to the unbelievable incompetence of messaging ("It'll just disappear, stock market's looking pretty good") to the lies on the backside ("I always knew it was a pandemic").

Hillary's Emails is a policy wonk, and pandemic prep is just the sort of wonk stuff she'd have been excited about. The specific pandemic task force would not have been disbanded.
Again. Over 50% off the deaths were in nursing homes. A higher % in NY and NJ and PA. The difference btwn SoRK and GER and us is the nursing homes. JPN also has low fatality. It's because of how they protected the vulnerable.

GER didn't enforce quarantine after testing positive.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Sweden death rate due to nursing homes just like here

Over 50%

Only citing the article for the numbers.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2020/0 ... Cw.twitter

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

What???

Maybe Trump shouldn’t have listened to this guy. Today Show, February 29. No need to do anything differently.

https://youtu.be/rh6ByuObVzc
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:16 am
What???

Maybe Trump shouldn’t have listened to this guy. Today Show, February 29. No need to do anything differently.

https://youtu.be/rh6ByuObVzc
There was probably some of this going on. Of course Azar got shit-canned anyway. From way upthread.
nafod wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:16 am This is the sound of a dick getting sucked...

From HHS Head Azar
Thank you, Mr. President, for gathering your public health experts here today and for your strong leadership in keeping America safe. ... The President’s early and decisive actions, including travel restrictions, have succeeded in buying us incredibly valuable time. ... The President’s actions taken with the strong support of his scientific advisors have proven to be appropriate, wise, and well-calibrated to the situation. ... Because of this hard work and the President’s leadership, the immediate risk to the American public has been and continues to be low.
By the way, worth revisiting the beginning of this thread. We had this thing figured out in January.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Just remember, when this is all over, the remaining 99.78719 percent of us will have to rebuild society.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

David Anderson looked at how Vermont health insurers are pricing individual market insurance policies for next year, with a particular focus on the impact of COVID19.
https://www.balloon-juice.com/2020/05/1 ... certainty/
TLDR: Moderate premium increases (6.3-7.3%), but the actuarial teams don't agree on why.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

May 14, 2020
Former Cleveland Clinic Employee Arrested

A former Cleveland Clinic employee was arrested Wednesday, May 13, 2020, without incident by law enforcement. Dr. Qing Wang is being charged with false claims and wire fraud related to more than $3.6 million in grant funding that Dr. Wang and his research group at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation (CCF) received from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, along with the United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General, conducted law enforcement activity at Dr. Qing Wang’s residence in Shaker Heights, Ohio. Dr. Wang was placed into custody at approximately 12:30 p.m.

"As this case demonstrates, Chinese government-supported talent plans continue to encourage people, regardless of nationality, to commit crimes, such as fraud to obtain U.S. taxpayer-funded research," said Robert R. Wells, acting assistant director of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Division. "The FBI and our partners will continue to rigorously investigate these illegal activities to protect our government, educational, and research institutions.”

"This is not a case of simple omission,” said FBI Cleveland Special Agent in Charge Eric B. Smith. “Dr. Wang deliberately failed to disclose his Chinese grants and foreign positions and even engaged in a pervasive pattern of fraud to avoid criminal culpability. The collective efforts of the FBI, HHS-OIG, and Cleveland Clinic officials demonstrate our commitment to hold those like Dr. Wang accountable."

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-of ... e-arrested

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 pm Just remember, when this is all over, the remaining 99.78719 percent of us will have to rebuild society.
Not that many meatpackers have died, yet shelves are empty. Sickness can be pretty damn disruptive too. They tried to pretend it was no big deal and stayed open.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Cry more nigga.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

We need to take the opportunity to fuck health insurance companies over right now.

They are parasites and leeches, and I can think of few industries that need to die a rapid death dragging down their scumbag executives with them more than them.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Shiiitttt Shaf, from whit I understand insurance rates are supposed to go up ~8% again next year.

I just baffles my mind why people think a universal healthcare system would be more expensive. You're literally taking tens of billions of dollars of useless money and profit out of the system by eliminating insurance companies. Whether out government could actually get their heads out of their asses enough to competently administer the system is another discussion. But ANY talk of a universal system being more expensive is fear mongering bull shit. We have the most expensive healthcare per capita of any western nation under this for profit system.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Luke

Post by Luke »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:26 pm We need to take the opportunity to fuck health insurance companies over right now.

They are parasites and leeches, and I can think of few industries that need to die a rapid death dragging down their scumbag executives with them more than them.
I pay $119 Australian Dollarydoos to my fund each month. I claim once or twice a year, either for dental or physio or both (maybe 1 of each in 2019 if I recall) My last bill came to $265 of which they gave me an $85 refund. It's the biggest scam going.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Luke wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:27 am
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:26 pm We need to take the opportunity to fuck health insurance companies over right now.

I pay $119 Australian Dollarydoos to my fund each month. I claim once or twice a year, either for dental or physio or both (maybe 1 of each in 2019 if I recall) My last bill came to $265 of which they gave me an $85 refund. It's the biggest scam going.
Wait just a goddamn minute...so both Luke and Aussie Luke are bush kangaroos?

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 pmHow so? Do Republicans tend to run the most crowded areas in the US?
Turd, you got any reading you can recommend to a libtard who wants to learn pro's & con's of single-payer health care proposals?

The simplistic view is, if the NHS can work in the UK, and whatever Canada has can work for them, then something similar shoulda/oughtta be workable here. Do you know of any good books that delve into why that is or is not true?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:20 am
Turdacious wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 pmHow so? Do Republicans tend to run the most crowded areas in the US?
Turd, you got any reading you can recommend to a libtard who wants to learn pro's & con's of single-payer health care proposals?

The simplistic view is, if the NHS can work in the UK, and whatever Canada has can work for them, then something similar shoulda/oughtta be workable here. Do you know of any good books that delve into why that is or is not true?
To me, the better question is not the pros and cons of single payer (there are a lot of pros), but the difficulty of implementing single payer here. My view is that our federalist system, the piecemeal system of federal health care programs we have put into place, and the lack of success we've demonstrated at doing the things that single payer systems have to do well (like cost benefit analysis of treatment, forecasting, resource allocation, etc...), all make the risk of implementing single payer extremely high. Also, there are a lot of variation between the various single payer models (like the UK)/ mostly single payer models (like Canada).

I'd start with Paul Starr's 'Social Transformation of American Medicine.'

Other good ones:
Paul Starr's 'Remedy and Reaction' (followup to Social Transformation up to Obamacare)
Malcolm Sparrow's 'License to Steal' (covers fraud in health care and the failure of the Clinton administration's efforts to lower Medicare and Medicaid fraud-- a problem that the Obama administration also tried and failed to curb)
David Cutler's letter to Larry Summers on why the Obama administration was unlikely to implement Obamacare successfully.

FWIW, all of them worked in the Clinton administration on their health care reform efforts. Starr is the best writer of the bunch.
Last edited by Turdacious on Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 pm Shiiitttt Shaf, from whit I understand insurance rates are supposed to go up ~8% again next year.

I just baffles my mind why people think a universal healthcare system would be more expensive. You're literally taking tens of billions of dollars of useless money and profit out of the system by eliminating insurance companies. Whether out government could actually get their heads out of their asses enough to competently administer the system is another discussion. But ANY talk of a universal system being more expensive is fear mongering bull shit. We have the most expensive healthcare per capita of any western nation under this for profit system.
Depending on where you live, they may go up more. Putting taxes on hospitals are an easy way for states to raise money-- those proposals aren't out yet but will definitely be reflected in insurance rates if passed.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 am To me, the better question is not the pros and cons of single payer (there are a lot of pros), but the difficulty of implementing single payer here.
I've always thought figuring out how to untether health care from your job makes sense. Having it the way it is creates a lot of friction in moving labor to where it could be used.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Turdacious wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 am To me, the better question is not the pros and cons of single payer (there are a lot of pros), but the difficulty of implementing single payer here.
I've always thought figuring out how to untether health care from your job makes sense. Having it the way it is creates a lot of friction in moving labor to where it could be used.
Spoken like a true-born central planner.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:30 pm
nafod wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Spoken like a true-born central planner.
That's stupid, or in Latin, non sequitur.