Wu Flu

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Wu Flu

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Turdacious wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 am To me, the better question is not the pros and cons of single payer (there are a lot of pros), but the difficulty of implementing single payer here.
I've always thought figuring out how to untether health care from your job makes sense. Having it the way it is creates a lot of friction in moving labor to where it could be used.
definitely. Unfortunately hhs is an absolute mess, I have no confidence in their ability to manage that.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Or perhaps you don't understand?

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Luke

Post by Luke »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 pm
Luke wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:27 am
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:26 pm We need to take the opportunity to fuck health insurance companies over right now.

They are parasites and leeches, and I can think of few industries that need to die a rapid death dragging down their scumbag executives with them more than them.
I pay $119 Australian Dollarydoos to my fund each month. I claim once or twice a year, either for dental or physio or both (maybe 1 of each in 2019 if I recall) My last bill came to $265 of which they gave me an $85 refund. It's the biggest scam going.
Wait just a goddamn minute...so both Luke and Aussie Luke are bush kangaroos?
Yep! Coincidence! On separate coasts.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

So how did Aussie Luke choose the name Aussie Luke if he was trying to distinguish himself from the Aussie, Luke?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:40 pm
Turdacious wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 am To me, the better question is not the pros and cons of single payer (there are a lot of pros), but the difficulty of implementing single payer here.
I've always thought figuring out how to untether health care from your job makes sense. Having it the way it is creates a lot of friction in moving labor to where it could be used.
definitely. Unfortunately hhs is an absolute mess, I have no confidence in their ability to manage that.
So tell me where I am wrong here on the big moving parts. I understand it is all about the nuance.

Businesses are incentived/required to provide health care. They get some sort of tax break in return. So some dude who just wants to build race cars has to get into the health insurance providing business.

We could get rid of the businesses having to provide this, and provide some sort of incentive to the people directly to get health care (tax break, ala mortgage break), taking the health care business out of your employer's hands and putting it closer to yours.

Doesn't mean centralized single payer insurance.
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

nafod wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm
So tell me where I am wrong here on the big moving parts. I understand it is all about the nuance.

Businesses are incentived/required to provide health care. They get some sort of tax break in return. So some dude who just wants to build race cars has to get into the health insurance providing business.

We could get rid of the businesses having to provide this, and provide some sort of incentive to the people directly to get health care (tax break, ala mortgage break), taking the health care business out of your employer's hands and putting it closer to yours.

Keeping competition in the system is essential.

I was financially compelled into Medicare last year. I have to pay for part of it but it's about 1/8 of what I was paying for my health insurance previously.

So far, I've been part of two "Medicare Advantage" programs with major insurance companies. The insurance company rakes in some gov't money for playing a role in managing my Medicare. Because there is competition, each insurance company offers a variety of incentives to sign on with them. My out of pocket costs for these added benefits is $0/month. Should my health situation change, I may have to change companies and there could be costs associated with that.

I lack the knowledge to redesign our insurance system but I'm living proof that private company competition within a government system works out well for the consumer.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm

There are a few things you have to decide first in a scheme like this:
1. Is it subsidized and how (it's usually done on a progressive scale, but where is the cutoff and why)?
2. Is it mandatory and what does that mean (i.e. if you don't have insurance and develop an expensive medical condition, who pays for your care?)?
3. What equity rules do you have (differences in treatment options, wait times, accomodations, etc...-- can wealthier people pay more and get more, or just pay more for the same)?
4. Is it cradle to grave or do we leave Medicare in as a legacy system (keep in mind that seniors are generally the most expensive insurees)?
5. What role do states play and what role does the federal government play?
6. How do you determine subsidies (annually or on a rolling basis, especially as people's incomes can fluctuate like they are right now)?

Other point-- it's not clear that businesses would be worse off if health insurance was untethered from employment. There is a tax break, but there are also pretty onerous compliance requirements. It would definitely change both the business and employment landscapes.

Countries with systems like you're suggesting (like Switzerland) tend to have powerful health care bureaucracies. Most of the reason has to do with cost control (ex. drug prices and accepted uses are generally centrally negotiated and determined) because the government has little ability to shift costs if costs get too high-- they get the budget they get. Our government health care programs haven't developed that ability-- they will underpay and allow hospitals and insurance companies to make up the losses elsewhere, or change the rules midstream, or hammer hospitals with compliance fines a decade after a problem occurred, etc...
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

This video covers almost every Staten Island stereotype in 22 seconds.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

And Chicago only had 10 murders over the holiday weekend!

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

CDC just confirmed a .2% death-rate for COVID-19. Here’s what we got in return:

* Added nearly 6 trillion to national debt
* Laid-off or furloughed 50 million workers
* Placed 60 million on food stamps
* Gone from 3.5%to 14.7% unemployment
* Crippled the petroleum industry

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 am CDC just confirmed a .2% death-rate for COVID-19. Here’s what we got in return:

If it saved just one life it was worth it.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

DrDonkeyLove... wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:35 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 am CDC just confirmed a .2% death-rate for COVID-19. Here’s what we got in return:

complex question.
it could prevent say one death from covid, but add two deaths from other causes.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Of course, cleaner air in cities that are shut down could possibly save tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of lives annually from cardio/pulmonary issues that link back to pollution.
There's a lot of calculus that could be done when this is all over. But it's all going to come out in favor of more restrictions for us, more money for the top.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

We didn't shut down the meatpacking industries and we've only killed off 30 or so employees, yet I can only buy two items of meat at the grocery store where I live. Deaths aren't the only metric.

The Danish use more robots in their plants, and so fewer sick. Some interesting videos...

http://slaughterhouse.danishcrown.com/sections

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 amCDC just confirmed a .2% death-rate for COVID-19.
3% needing hospitlization, tho.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Absolutely fucking not.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Absolutely fucking not.
I should have used an irony emoji (if there is such a thing).

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 pm We didn't shut down the meatpacking industries and we've only killed off 30 or so employees
Dry your pussy out before posting. We haven't "killed" anyone, any more than someone is "killed" when they die of pneumonia or flu. Don't post shit that even you don't believe.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:02 pm
nafod wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 pm We didn't shut down the meatpacking industries and we've only killed off 30 or so employees
Dry your pussy out before posting. We haven't "killed" anyone, any more than someone is "killed" when they die of pneumonia or flu. Don't post shit that even you don't believe.
Low pay, no paid sick leave, pressured to show up, shitty to no PPE or revised procedures to protect themselves with, companies protected from liability suits by the employees thanks to the Defense Production Act (failed to impose any federal rules on how those companies must protect workers from outbreaks of COVID-19).

They died for our hamburgers.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

lolwut. "We killed them" because they took a job with low pay? You post a lot of dumb shit but you're piling it high today.

Let me axe you dis: have you stopped eating meat?
Last edited by Fat Cat on Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 pm
Low pay, no paid sick leave, pressured to show up, shitty to no PPE or revised procedures to protect themselves with, companies protected from liability suits by the employees thanks to the Defense Production Act (failed to impose any federal rules on how those companies must protect workers from outbreaks of COVID-19).

So what should companies do when there’s a national PPE shortage?

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Turdacious wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Much like a wartime effort, if it's essential to keeping the nation going you sack up and do the best you can. Then when the crisis is over you assess what went wrong and put heads on pikes and put people in charge who give a fuck. And have massive strikes to make sure the essential workers that keep this shit show on the rails get the compensation they deserve going forward. And I think we all see who is essential to keeping our society going and who is just pushing bits back and forth.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Stand down or reduce capacity until they get enough so they can safely continue production.

Which is what has happened, but it was driven by hindsight instead of foresight.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

In Moscow since 1st June workout yards will open. In other towns they are mostly alredy opened.
But lockdown still remains till 14th June at least.
And fines if you are outdoors without mask.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Stand down or reduce capacity until they get enough so they can safely continue production.

Which is what has happened, but it was driven by hindsight instead of foresight.
So our pandemic/ economic policy should be driven by personal injury lawyers?