Right now I'm reading

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Bennyonesix1

Re: Right now I'm reading

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Ahhh. I like the pulp style shoot-em ups as well.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Bram wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:08 pm "The Biggest Bluff" - this came out last month. A woman with zero experience in poker sets out to play at the World Series of Poker a year after starting. She ends up winning 300,000$ and is trained by some of the best poker players in history. There is a wealth of lessons transferable to whatever you're into, I've found things I can apply to surfing, for example. My favorite lesson, "There are no bad beats." A bad beat is when you have strong cards but still lose. Her teacher says he never wants her to complain or brag about the cards she was dealt. Only discussing the decisions she made and the reasons for them.
+1 on this recommendation. Just finished it. Poker as a metaphor for life. Particularly interesting is the 'sunk cost fallacy'-staying in a crap hand (or situation) because you've already spent so much to get to that stage.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I'm still stunned at the idea poker can teach people about life when every single big time poker player is an absolute wreck or profoundly autistic.

It's like thinking chess players have solid life advice to offer.

Or some Chinese dude has BASED wisdom about military strategy.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:27 pm It's like thinking chess players have solid life advice to offer.
I dunno, you can learn a lot from, say, Bobby Fischer.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

POINT TAKEN

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:27 pm I'm still stunned at the idea poker can teach people about life when every single big time poker player is an absolute wreck or profoundly autistic.

It's like thinking chess players have solid life advice to offer.

Or some Chinese dude has BASED wisdom about military strategy.
Must be great not having to read books or ever learn :heart: :heart:
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

It is. It really is great.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

lasalle wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:50 pm
+1 on this recommendation. Just finished it. Poker as a metaphor for life. Particularly interesting is the 'sunk cost fallacy'-staying in a crap hand (or situation) because you've already spent so much to get to that stage.
Glad you enjoyed it too! Though I've still another 100 pages to go :)

"Sunk cost" comes up a lot. I know it's a common pitfall for investments of any kind. Pay X, don't want to let it go for less, even if it's not doing you any benefit. Relationships too. Stay with someone because of the time spent up until now, but things aren't great.
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Fat Cat wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:43 pm
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:27 pm It's like thinking chess players have solid life advice to offer.
I dunno, you can learn a lot from, say, Bobby Fischer.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Hey all -

Seeking a book recommendation. I'm looking for something along the lines of a Lonesome Dove....or Shogun. One of those 8...9 hundred page turners that while they could be made into a movie also contain wisdom and I might just learn something. They satisfy the need for action and for love. Not lame and boring. Fiction. Genre open. But again, I want to emphasize...I'm not looking for an 1300 page character study. Plot. Some action. Mystery. Adventure. Etc.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

newguy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:30 pm Hey all -

Seeking a book recommendation. I'm looking for something along the lines of a Lonesome Dove....or Shogun. One of those 8...9 hundred page turners that while they could be made into a movie also contain wisdom and I might just learn something. They satisfy the need for action and for love. Not lame and boring. Fiction. Genre open. But again, I want to emphasize...I'm not looking for an 1300 page character study. Plot. Some action. Mystery. Adventure. Etc.
The Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 pm

On the real....does this hold up well or is it going to be one of those old things that people read and then pretend it is good when really it's just old. And dont get me wrong.....I'm not against old things. Great Expectations is on my reread list this year and going finally get around to reading Bleak House.

But what I'm asking is....is this more Great Expectations or more IDK....Last of the Mohicans?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's a fun adventure, but I haven't read Great Expectations so I can't compare it. It's waaaaay better than James Fenimore Cooper.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

War and Peace, obviously. Romance, dying scenes, battle scenes, interludes of big ideas. Great characters. Perfect fit for your requirements.

The Master & Commander series. Every book great, all of it literature.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Glen Cook's Black Company series if you have any tolerance for Fantasy.

Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps if you have any tolerance for Sci-Fi.

Gene Wolfe's Shadow of the Torturer if you like Fantasy.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.

Flashman is good too.

Abercrombie is excellent Fantasy as well.
Last edited by Bennyonesix1 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

newguy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 pm

On the real....does this hold up well or is it going to be one of those old things that people read and then pretend it is good when really it's just old. And dont get me wrong.....I'm not against old things. Great Expectations is on my reread list this year and going finally get around to reading Bleak House.

But what I'm asking is....is this more Great Expectations or more IDK....Last of the Mohicans?
Three Musketeers is fantastic dude. So is Monte Cristo. The problem with Cristo is that everyone has been ripping him off since he wrote it. So it can seem a little familiar. But he was first.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

^^^That's a pretty fair assessment. There are things in the book that have become tropes. At the same time, his writing is really fluid and descriptive in a way that elevates it, and it is the ultimate tale of revenge served cold.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:50 pm Flashman is good too.
Some of the funniest, and funnest, adventure writing of all time. One of the only series where I've read every single one.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Flashman is so good.

Have you read any Hopkirk?

He's a historian who specializes in the Great Game era. Incredibly good. Readable.

Makinder's World Island has destroyed every empire that pursued his theory but it really did and I guess does dominate European Foreign Policy for generations.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I know I already recommended him, but Glen Cook is the best pulp style fiction writer going. He's just the best.

I'd also recommend Ellroy. If you like detective stories he's a must read.

Ellroy MIGHT have an argument as to being better than Cook. And maybe so, if you like a more historically based style of fiction.

Cook is the more ambitious as regards themes for me. Black Company is an amazing Hindu or perhaps even buddhist meditation.

Cook is pure Boomer and Ellroy is much more Gen X.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bennyonesix1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:13 am Flashman is so good.

Have you read any Hopkirk?

He's a historian who specializes in the Great Game era. Incredibly good. Readable.

Makinder's World Island has destroyed every empire that pursued his theory but it really did and I guess does dominate European Foreign Policy for generations.
Nope, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Added to my list, thanks!

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Great recs everyone. Thank you. Much appreciated.
nafod wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:32 pm
War and Peace, obviously. Romance, dying scenes, battle scenes, interludes of big ideas. Great characters. Perfect fit for your requirements.

The Master & Commander series. Every book great, all of it literature.
War and Peace. Definitely one of those that has always been on my get around to reading list. Thank you. And I've forgotten about the Master and Commander Series.
Bennyonesix1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Glen Cook's Black Company series if you have any tolerance for Fantasy.

Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps if you have any tolerance for Sci-Fi.

Gene Wolfe's Shadow of the Torturer if you like Fantasy.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.

Flashman is good too.

Abercrombie is excellent Fantasy as well.
Thank you good sir. I've the Dragon Never Sleeps on my list since you recommended it in the product reviews. Love the Black Company. I do not believe I ever finished the series and it's also been on my list of must get back to.

I do like Gene Wolfe a lot. Shadow of the Toturer was one of those I read and felt I needed to read again at a later date. I liked his Knight duology a lot. I consider that one of my favorite almost stand alones of all time.

Never heard of Flashman. I will have to give it a look.

In regards to Ellroy, I enjoyed the Underworld USA trilogy. Other than that, haven't read much more of him.

I will definitely be giving The Count of Monte Cristo a go. Thank you Mr. Cat. And I'll had a lot of these to the pile.

Again, many thanks everyone.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

'Exodus' by Leon Uris is good. 'August 1914' by Solzenitzyn if you're feeling up to it. Anything by Tom Wolfe is excellent-- 'The Right Stuff' (not fiction) and 'Bonfire of the Vanities' are fantastic.

Re really old stuff that holds up-- Don Quixote, and the Fitzgerald translations of the Odyssey, Iliad, and Aeneid are all fantastic.

Re the Flashman series-- you'll either love it or you won't. I don't think there's any middle ground.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule