The last V8

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

The last V8

Post by seeahill »

Not tomato juice. A 5.7 liter hemi in a Grand Cherokee Overland.

I grew up with the growl of a V8. Wanted one as a kid and the first one I had was a 1967 Mustang. It had belonged to a friend who just got out of the Navy. It was stolen and stripped. I bought it for cheap. It ran for 10 years and I got rid of it.

I don't think I ever had a V8 thereafter. I had a V6 or two and grew to like the V6 purr.

But now, fuck, I'm old and I wanted a V8. Bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee with a hemi. OK, it's got metal skid plates on the engine/oil pan and the diff. Off-road ready but I had to put AT tires on it. So it isn't highway smooth., but it's a V8 and throws you back in the seat when you stomp the pedal.

It's my last V8 and I'm happy with it.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: The last V8

Post by nafod »

I’ve had two. The first was one of these.

It was a bear to assemble, but was cool.

The second was a 1968 Ford Thunderbird, bought in 1979 for the summer while working in Minnesota. Paid $200, sold it at the end for $100. Had a black interior and power windows that didn’t work. Great date car. The engine was huge. So was the back seat.

Don’t believe everything you think.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

V8 in my first car, a 1971 Cutlass, a 350 2 barrel rocket My buddies and I probably rebuilt 3 GM 350s between 10th and 12 grades.

I also had a V8 in an Avalanche and in my current Suburban.

I drove an inline 6 in an AMC Eagle, which was a solid engine. I also drove an Ecoboost V6 in a Ford Excursion XL a few years back as a rental and that was a legit beast of a motor.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I had a 350 in an old 78 Scout II in HS. Hugger Orange.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Out west circa 2010 or so the desert rats were big on V8s and the 90's landcruiser engines in Samurais. Huge engine bay/compartment.

https://youtu.be/a9I91fE_pMQ

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

1964 Ford Galaxy that my dad inherited from his Aunt. She bought it new.
First year for the 289, and ours had the 3 On The Tree. Most vague shifter you can imagine. Sure do wish we'd kept that car......
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

I really miss big engines. I know downsizing is the way to go until we all go fully electric, but still...

My new car has a 2.0 engine plus PHEV, it's powerful (408 hp.), the fuel economy is off the charts, but it lacks... a "soul". If you know what I mean.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.