Biden's America: Vaccine Passports

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Biden's America: Vaccine Passports

Post by Fat Cat »

Why vaccine passports may be inevitable in next phase of COVID-19

Certifying a person’s immunity to COVID-19 is inevitable to get life back to normal in the United States, according to a growing number of public health experts. But how to do that, considering the need to protect personal privacy and avoid exacerbating existing inequities, has become an increasing area of debate as more vaccines become available to the public, experts said.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/why ... f-covid-19

But what I'm wondering is, isn't it racist to require vaccination passports when so many Black citizens don't have government IDs? If you don't have ID, how can you prove it was you who got vaccinated?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Biden's America: Vaccine Passports

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Don't worry. Soon enough AI will be so good at facial recognition that your identity will be tracked from birth via an inescapable net of video surveillance. No ID required.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:56 am Don't worry. Soon enough AI will be so good at facial recognition that your identity will be tracked from birth via an inescapable net of video surveillance. No ID required.
Two masks sounding pretty good right now.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Two masks and a pellet gun.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

My girlfriend is more badass on this stuff than I am. We'll stay out in the sticks forever if it means avoiding bullshit like this.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

It's for sure coming. The largest tech companies are already positioning themselves for a near complete takeover of our lives, especially with respect to how much currently public infrastructure is going to be privatized. Think of a corporate police and criminal justice system that's run by AI algorithms. That has access to your travel, shopping, and digital communications because it's the same company who handles your phone and internet. And it's tracking you through facial recognition just about everywhere you go.

Not looking at this as some far out conspiracy theory of Big Brother, but more of a natural evolution of where current targeted advertising will go in just a few years. The politicians have already been bought. It's just a matter of rolling out the technology and selling it to the people "for their safety and convenience".

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

There's only one person that can get us out of this mess: Snake Plissken.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 am It's for sure coming. The largest tech companies are already positioning themselves for a near complete takeover of our lives, especially with respect to how much currently public infrastructure is going to be privatized. Think of a corporate police and criminal justice system that's run by AI algorithms. That has access to your travel, shopping, and digital communications because it's the same company who handles your phone and internet. And it's tracking you through facial recognition just about everywhere you go.

Not looking at this as some far out conspiracy theory of Big Brother, but more of a natural evolution of where current targeted advertising will go in just a few years. The politicians have already been bought. It's just a matter of rolling out the technology and selling it to the people "for their safety and convenience".
Well that was a depressing, and thoroughly accurate, picture you've just painted.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Check out this broad and tell me what you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:20 pm

I think her opinion doesn't matter. I've stopped watching the Anger-Vision. But here's what I think about what I think she is likely talking about.

We are t-h-i-s close to getting a herd immunity level of vaccination. By the end of May this thing could be in the rear view mirror, mostly. We just have to hang on a bit longer and not let this thing go through a 4th surge.

But we are doing everything we need to do to make sure we have a 4th surge and kill off as many more as we can before reaching herd immunity.

It's like fighting in WWII at the end and you know they're signing the surrender papers in a few days, and every death for the next week is a stupid waste.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:33 pm
Fat Cat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:20 pm

I think her opinion doesn't matter. I've stopped watching the Anger-Vision. But here's what I think about what I think she is likely talking about.

We are t-h-i-s close to getting a herd immunity level of vaccination. By the end of May this thing could be in the rear view mirror, mostly. We just have to hang on a bit longer and not let this thing go through a 4th surge.

But we are doing everything we need to do to make sure we have a 4th surge and kill off as many more as we can before reaching herd immunity.

It's like fighting in WWII at the end and you know they're signing the surrender papers in a few days, and every death for the next week is a stupid waste.
That's an interesting analogy using WWII, and in some respects, I agree. It would be a pity for someone to die now from CV19 when they are rolling out vaccines, but then again, it's tragic any time. That said, she's not advocating caution or rational self interest at all, she's 100% advocating on a national news platform that the government curtail constitutional freedoms to force people to take a vaccine when they are reluctant to do so. :finga:

And she's not a nobody, she's the former national director of Planned Parenthood and the head of the Baltimore City Health Department. :finga: :finga:

And, since we're at it, she's from China and has only been a US citizen since 2003, but is fine advocating for robbing Americans of their rights to force them to do something they don't feel safe doing. :finga: :finga: :finga:

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

My kids had to get vaccinated to attend public school. I got a shit-ton of vaccinations in order to work at my job (military). I had to get vaccinated to travel. I guess I am more sanguine about limits on what you can do without a vaccination.

I'm 100% sure that people will die because of the antivaxxers. The anti-vaxers will get immunized, but through catching COVID instead of a vaccine. Guess which is safer? And there are people out there will die because they can't take the vaccine, or haven't got it yet, and dumb fucking anti-vax, anti-mask morons insist on sharing their infectious respiratory spew with the community, keeping the prevalence high. ](*,)

But..fuck it. It's how this country rolls.

If I was China, I'd be regularly launching some not-quite-bad-enough-to-do-the-right-thing virus into our population on a regular basis. Like taking candy from a moron. Toss in some facebook memes about masks = slavery. Think those guys aren't paying attention?

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 pm My kids had to get vaccinated to attend public school. I got a shit-ton of vaccinations in order to work at my job (military). I had to get vaccinated to travel. I guess I am more sanguine about limits on what you can do without a vaccination.

I'm 100% sure that people will die because of the antivaxxers. The anti-vaxers will get immunized, but through catching COVID instead of a vaccine. Guess which is safer? And there are people out there will die because they can't take the vaccine, or haven't got it yet, and dumb fucking anti-vax, anti-mask morons insist on sharing their infectious respiratory spew with the community, keeping the prevalence high. ](*,)

If I was China, I'd be regularly launching some not-quite-bad-enough-to-do-the-right-thing virus into our population on a regular basis. Like taking candy from a moron. Toss in some facebook memes about masks = slavery. Think those guys aren't paying attention?
Do you support special passports for smokers? Smoking and second hand smoke has killed far more people than coronavirus. How about for drivers? Automobiles have claimed more lives. I'm not eager to take an experimental vaccine for a disease I don't feel threatened by. By your views it doesn't seem to me like personal freedom is a priority for you.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:41 pm
nafod wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 pm My kids had to get vaccinated to attend public school. I got a shit-ton of vaccinations in order to work at my job (military). I had to get vaccinated to travel. I guess I am more sanguine about limits on what you can do without a vaccination.

Do you support special passports for smokers? Smoking and second hand smoke has killed far more people than coronavirus. How about for drivers? Automobiles have claimed more lives. I'm not eager to take an experimental vaccine for a disease I don't feel threatened by. By your views it doesn't seem to me like personal freedom is a priority for you.
Do you think smokers should be able to smoke everywhere? Teaching kindergarten? On planes? While operating on a patient? Good things we don't restrict smoking at all. That would infringe on personal freedom.

Driver's licenses anyone?

Don't take the vaccine. Wait until you get the China virus directly, and you will. It will most likely be no big deal for you.

I've stopped caring, because the people I care about are getting vaccinated.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 pm Don't take the vaccine. Wait until you get the China virus directly, and you will. It will most likely be no big deal for you.

There is no provision for free travel if you have had the virus. I would actually be far LESS afraid of getting coronavirus than getting the vaccine.

And as for stopping caring, that's quite the opposite of what is happening here. These people are saying that even though people can get vaccinated if they want to, your freedoms will be curtailed if you don't conform and take the vaccine. Which makes no sense unless the vaccine is a mechanism of social control, as opposed to viral control.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Do you think smokers should be able to smoke everywhere? Teaching kindergarten? On planes? While operating on a patient? Good things we don't restrict smoking at all. That would infringe on personal freedom.

Don't take the vaccine. Wait until you get the China virus directly, and you will. It will most likely be no big deal for you.

Let’s be honest. We don’t know the long term effects of the vaccines, especially since we can’t control which version we are getting and controlling the cold chain is difficult and hard to track (so extra difficult to measure efficacy). We are still under emergency use authorization for all the vaccines— that matters. Require passports for TB or polio? Sure. COVID19? Different calculation.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Turdacious wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:09 am
nafod wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Let’s be honest. We don’t know the long term effects of the vaccines, especially since we can’t control which version we are getting and controlling the cold chain is difficult and hard to track (so extra difficult to measure efficacy). We are still under emergency use authorization for all the vaccines— that matters. Require passports for TB or polio? Sure. COVID19? Different calculation.
You’ve made a good argument for keeping the restrictions going until the virus is gone, or at least Australia-level of controlled.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Turdacious wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:09 am Let’s be honest. We don’t know the long term effects of the vaccines, especially since we can’t control which version we are getting and controlling the cold chain is difficult and hard to track (so extra difficult to measure efficacy). We are still under emergency use authorization for all the vaccines— that matters. Require passports for TB or polio? Sure. COVID19? Different calculation.
I agree up to a point that we don't know the long term effects of the vaccine, but I'm going to say that the risks of some unforeseen adverse side effect rearing its head months/years down the road are far less than most would think. The pharmaceutical industry knows how to make vaccines now. It's not like the early days when there wasn't a mountain of previous real world data to guide best practices.

It's like in any engineering undertaking - the mistakes are made in the first iterations of a technology. Once the technology matures there comes with it an understanding of how to stay within the safety factor. I think we're probably close to that level of maturity with vaccines. Even the mRNA vaccines are built on technology that's been in development for a decade or more. I'm hoping we're on the cusp of a new wave of vaccines that are safe and effective and easily modified to fight any virus at which we aim them.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I’m thinking more like will they work against the new variants, are boosters needed, etc... and to nafod’s point the social and economic consequences of keeping things closed down for an indefinite amount of time has to be considered.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Turdacious wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:17 pm I’m thinking more like will they work against the new variants, are boosters needed, etc... and to nafod’s point the social and economic consequences of keeping things closed down for an indefinite amount of time has to be considered.
Ahh, gotcha.
So far the effectiveness against the variants seems to be only slightly diminished. And immunity is looking like 6 months at least on the Phizer.
Let's hope we can get to the magic 70% vaccinated/previously infected quickly enough that some devastating variant doesn't pop up and put us as square one.