Biden's America: New Georgia Voting Law

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Biden's America: New Georgia Voting Law

Post by Fat Cat »

See: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... n-1147493/

Caution: the article I chose as representative, intentionally so, is hostile.

So, the State of Georgia just signed into law new statutes affecting voting. Among other things, it outlaws "line-warming" which is the act of providing food, beverages, or other incentives to individuals waiting to vote. It was supported by the GOP, denigrated by the Democrats, and I am curious what you think.

Is this voter suppression? Are the related requirements about ID voter suppression? And why do we always hear the theme that "everyone should vote"? Do you really believe that?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Biden's America: New Georgia Voting Law

Post by nafod »

Of course it is voter suppression.

It’s not fixing any problems unveiled by the last election.

Bunch of white guys in front of a painting of a slave plantation signing a bill that targets black voters. I give them points for clear messaging.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (32 KiB) Viewed 5413 times
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I’m sure Democrats never advocated for changing rules to prevent this from happening again. https://www.factcheck.org/2008/03/repub ... primaries/

8-[
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Don't black voters wait like an average of 11 minutes to the 6 minutes white voters wait?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:26 pm Of course it is voter suppression.

Bunch of white guys in front of a painting of a slave plantation signing a bill that targets black voters. I give them points for clear messaging.
This isn't the 1960s Nafod. This isn't the poll tax. This isn't handing some partially literate person a foreign language newspaper as a "literacy test".

A lot of people of color can afford a car and a home. They need ID and can get it. No need to patronize them.

There are people who need some attention under this law. People who do not own automobiles do not need a driver's license. The homeless may not have an address to call "home". Whole rainbow of people need a way to get ID.

I'd rather see us mark our fingers, tips of our nose, the point of our chin, something, with indelible ink than demand an ID. You get one vote, you get your mark. Have nice day.

Ballot harvesting needs to be a registered position. Volunteers or paid staff with government ID. Official ballot harvester. They have an area to cover and work only in their area. No ID? You don't touch a ballot.

We need to automate ballot counting. This will eliminate the excuse for early voting. When I saw GOP observers being tossed out of counting centers I got suspicious. Let the machine handle it. Make them more cyber secure too. Independent audits.

The French banned mail in ballots in 1975. Are they notorious racists like the "southern States"?
Last edited by Gene on Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Don't like yourself too much.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Fat Cat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:06 pm See: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... n-1147493/

So, the State of Georgia just signed into law new statutes affecting voting. Among other things, it outlaws "line-warming" which is the act of providing food, beverages, or other incentives to individuals waiting to vote.
I'd rather mark people with indelible ink than ask for ID. Put a dot on their forehead, their fingers, elbows, where ever. You show that you are not marked before you get to vote. We can have different dye combinations to prevent false marking. Examine them under different frequencies of light. This is today's pattern, do they have it?

Just in case people mark up some people to stop them from voting? They need caned on TV. I think ballot harvesters who fuck around need beaten with a cane. Same with "officials" who fuck with inner city polling places.

Fuck with our elections? Take whipping. A few asses get beat on TV it'll adjust some attitudes. Singapore does it, we can too.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Gene wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:40 am
nafod wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:26 pm Of course it is voter suppression.

This isn't the 1960s Nafod. This isn't the poll tax. This isn't handing some partially literate person a foreign language newspaper as a "literacy test".

I'd rather see us mark our fingers, tips of our nose, the point of our chin, something, with indelible ink than demand an ID. You get one vote, you get your mark. Have nice day.

The French banned mail in ballots in 1975. Are they notorious racists like the "southern States"?
There’d be a poll tax if they could get a way with it.

Good idea on the marking.

Fuck the French. I have no idea why they banned it.

Cheers!

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

baffled wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:15 am Don't black voters wait like an average of 11 minutes to the 6 minutes white voters wait?
What an unimaginable sacrifice.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

In the south there's a long history of providing water to black voters in line.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:34 pm In the south there's a long history of providing water to black voters in line.

Those people were in FLAMES.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:34 pm In the south there's a long history of providing water to black voters in line.

Glad that someone posted this photo.

The Democratic machine in Birmingham didn't like "uppity" people. They wanted them to "behave". Just a little water. Some love bites from big dogs. A little "hickory shampoo" to make them see reason. I don't agree with such foolish thinking myself. People are not going to stay under foot forever. Fucking with them just pisses them off even more. Aside that it's not the right way to behave. People who do not behave right don't deserve to be in charge.

I think that most of those demonstrators had a valid complaint or complaints. They did what they could do.

I grew up with stupid bigoted shit but the degree was much less. I didn't need permission to eat somewhere. I did catch a few genetic police who didn't want a "grease ball" or "jew boy" dating their precious lilly white daughters. I don't feel that I have a lot of "white privilege".

Today I'm a white boy who doesn't take dicks up his ass. The 21st century negro. I should go "yasssir" and shuffle to the back of the bus. The irony isn't lost on me one little bit.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Gene wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:56 pm Today I'm a white boy who doesn't take dicks up his ass.
That on your LinkedIn page? :happiness:

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

I truly weep for the extraordinary plight of @ene.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:37 pm
Gene wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:56 pm Today I'm a white boy who doesn't take dicks up his ass.
No, it's not on my resume. I do have hobbies, but who cares about embedded systems and breeding Kale? I could go on and on about Bt Thuringiensis, how it's deployed and so on. Burns out the guts of cabbage moth larvae. Free hint - follow the instructions on the container. I could never best them. Same with Neem oil, read the instructions before use. Neem works great on leaf miners that plague Amaranth.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Gene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 am
No, it's not on my resume. I do have hobbies, but who cares about embedded systems and breeding Kale? I could go on and on about Bt Thuringiensis, how it's deployed and so on. Burns out the guts of cabbage moth larvae. Free hint - follow the instructions on the container. I could never best them. Same with Neem oil, read the instructions before use. Neem works great on leaf miners that plague Amaranth.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Careful. @ didn’t specify if that was a boast or a lament.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:36 am
Gene wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 am
Damn! That's a good one, Fats!

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

So apparently the MLB has threatened or has moved the All Star game out of Atlanta due to the voting rights bill getting signed into law.
I get that people are pissed about what appears to be a Republican power grab to ensure they have an easier time at the polls, but it makes ZERO sense to force an entity like the MLB to avoid the state. Guess who works the stadium, the parking, the hotels, the restaurants, the transportation, and any other of a dozen service industries who stand to make huge bank off of 50,000 visitors coming here to spend money? That would be the same people the MLB is ostensibly staying away to try and "help".

I
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

It’s an interesting move.

Guess who works at the stadium where they will hold the game, though?

Zero sum game.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Back to fatty’s original question, which part is racist? A nice breakdown: https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/wha ... -sb-202-do

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

If you want to demand voter id, make sure all voters have access to free id. They don't. If they have to pay, its a poll tax. There aren't a lot of dmv places in rural georgia. I'm okay with voter id if its easy and accessible to most people. Its not.

I was sitting at the dmv with a fellow mom when getting my daughter's license. After listening to her (fellow mom) complain inessantly about the process, she brought up voter id as if it was somehow easier. I asked her how she thought she'd feel if she had to take a day off work and drive an hour to get a license. She didn't understand because she didn't have to work.

Its absolutely 100% voter suppression. If it wasn't, it would be accompanied with easy ID access bills. Its complete and utter bullshit. If you don't see it for what it is, I know what you are.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

nafod wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:07 am It’s an interesting move.

Guess who works at the stadium where they will hold the game, though?

Zero sum game.
Yeah, Stacye Abrams actually argued against it. And yet, she is being blamed for it. Who knew.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

I'm a guy with a severe anxiety disorder. If I can get an ID card, there's no excuse I will accept for your basic lack of willingness to participate in society. I mean shit, I'm practically house-bound and I have proper ID. This is an extraordinarily pathetic excuse.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/dri ... card-fees/
Georgia ID cost: $32 for eight years.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

syaigh wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:11 pm If you want to demand voter id, make sure all voters have access to free id. They don't. If they have to pay, its a poll tax. There aren't a lot of dmv places in rural georgia. I'm okay with voter id if its easy and accessible to most people. Its not.

I was sitting at the dmv with a fellow mom when getting my daughter's license. After listening to her (fellow mom) complain inessantly about the process, she brought up voter id as if it was somehow easier. I asked her how she thought she'd feel if she had to take a day off work and drive an hour to get a license. She didn't understand because she didn't have to work.

Its absolutely 100% voter suppression. If it wasn't, it would be accompanied with easy ID access bills. Its complete and utter bullshit. If you don't see it for what it is, I know what you are.
If someone can be dissuaded from voting by the process of obtaining an ID at the high cost of $4 a year, I think we can do without their input.