Six rules of life by Labkovsky

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Labkovsky is a Russian psychologist. He is kinda famous for his six rules of life. Very basic, of course, and I know for a fact that I would benefit a lot if I stuck to these.

1. Do only what you want.
2. Do not do what you don’t want to do.
3. Immediately talk about what you don't like.
4. Do not answer when not asked.
5. Answer only the question.
6. When clarifying the relationship, talk only about yourself.

Whenever I bring this up I get a guaranteed "rule No. 1 is anarchy!" etc. These are obviously guidelines, as explained by the guy himself.
https://labkovskiy.ru/publikatsii/i-wan ... -ll-do-it/

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Pertaining only to number two...

Last week I was visiting family and the kids wanted me to go sledding. I wanted badly to read and relax, but have found doing only what I want causes me to miss out -- and I have almost exclusively gone with the "do what I want" philosophy. Based only on the fact I didn't want to go, I instead drug myself outside to sled. It took maybe 15 minutes to actually start, as I was highly reluctant, then we had a blast! And a big snowball fight.

It's good to listen and be open-minded, but we also must test these ideas in the crucible of the real world and find how they play out for us. My right way may not be your right way.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I agree with point 2. Had I followed this I would have had a way better life.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

This was legit. I shared this article with several people who expressed and interest in digging up more of his writings on these topics.

Reconciling it with stoicism takes a bit of a deep dive, but it's certainly possible to do so.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Ronald's Rule #1: Always, and I mean ALWAYS have a firm "go fuck yourself" chambered. Tis a gamechanger.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Yes this is fantastic we need Russians telling everyone even more things they don't like.

The world needs them to vocalize the 0.00076538% of things that irritate them but they nobly keep to themselves.

The answer is definitely Russian women complaining more.

That'll make them and us happy and decrease friction.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

That's Russian women for you, bitch!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

What is the ethno-religious background of Labkovsky?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

motherjuggs&speed

The same as most Russians:

50% bullshit artist
15% mystic
20% intellectual (or so they believe)
10% sociopathic android
5% death wish

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:08 am Russian
Doubt.

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Russians complaining more and doing whatever they want.

It's a brilliant plan.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

Fat Cat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:17 pm What is the ethno-religious background of Labkovsky?
Like most Russian intellectuals he is Jewish.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Sangoma wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:35 am
Fat Cat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:17 pm What is the ethno-religious background of Labkovsky?
Like most Russian intellectuals he is Jewish.
Gee, I didn't see that coming. I'm really going to have to think about this.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Out of respect for rules number 1 and 3, I want to say that I do not like these rules.

motherjuggs&speed

I have done rules 4 and 5 for most of my life and I can tell you, people really don't like it.

About rule 6, if you feel the need to clarify a relationship it's better to end it. In fact, if you have any doubts about the relationship it's better to end it. I was about to say "if possible" but all the times I didn't think it was possible I should have anyway, because things only got worse. A lot worse. Would this count as an I statement: "I think you're a fucking asshole." -?

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

From the article:
When people in Russia hear the advice ‘Do only what you want to do’, they think it’s a call for anarchy. They consider their biggest, wildest desires absolutely low, perverse and harmful for those around them. In their mind these people are certain that they are savages and are too terrified to let themselves have what their hearts desire. I see it as a serious symptom of our national neurosis.

I tell someone: “Do what you want.” And they reply: “Are you kidding? How can I?”

So my answer is: if you consider yourself a good person, you can. You can and you must. The desires of a good person are in harmony with the interests of the people around them.
"Clarifying relationships" in this context means sorting out disagreements. It is a direct translation of выяснять отношения.

motherjuggs&speed

"Who is your roof?".A name is mentioned. "And yours?". And so the disagreement is sorted.

I think people should get one free killing per year. No one would be quite sure if the other person had used up his killing so there would be fewer ugly conflicts.

Topic author
Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

He is talking about personal relationships, FOR FUCK'S SAKE! ](*,)

motherjuggs&speed

You bit down hard on that one. I thought I'd catch Wild Bill.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I think a divorced Russian Israeli Jewish tv psychologist who markets to women who think he is a genius about relationships and has an IDF daughter and works for another Jewish dude who thinks Reagan and Thatcher are the best is someone I need to listen to about my neuroses and how I need to stop manifesting the Authoritarian Personality Type and just loosen up and do what I want as long as he agrees with what I want to do because then I would be a good person and good people can safely do what they want but bad people can't. He's also divorced and was admittedly very harsh and strict with his daughter.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

You'd hope that only people who led meaningful, balanced, and happy lives would be successful in the self-help field.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Sangoma wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:25 am He is talking about personal relationships, FOR FUCK'S SAKE! ](*,)
See rule number 3.