Charlo/Castano fight - a new undisputed champ crowned at 154

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother »

Spoiler: show
Charlo wins by TKO in the 10th
140 is undisputed
147 will be undisputed if Spence fights Crawford next
154 is now undisputed
168 is undisputed
heavyweight will be undisputed this year

is it just me or do we not see this very often?

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

It's not common in the 4 belt era. Not by a longshot. Usually, the sanctioning bodies get in the way, and champions don't want to fight the other belt holders unless there's a sizeable purse at stake.

140 is kind of weird since Taylor lost to Catterall in everyone's eyes other than Taylor and the judges, and now his status has been somewhat diminished when holding the 4 major belts should earn you universal respect and adoration. I think the division is good and think a lot of good scraps are on the way once Taylor starts vacating and/or has to move up.

Of the group, 147 and 168 are the most overrated, in my opinion. 154 has been interesting for a while, and while I think that Spence and Crawford are two of the best P4P champions, I don't think the waters are as deep as people consider them.

168 is kind of boring, to be honest. BJS wasn't ever very good, Caleb Plant looked good against limited opposition, and Alvarez failed a steroid test because he ate Mexican beef that was mega dosing Clenbuterol and everything he does above 160 should be seen with suspicion.

I feel like welterweight is still coasting off of the glory days, but WW has Spence and Crawford and that's about it. Ugas is a good fighter, but he's an older Cuban who got lucky to get a fight with an old Pacquiao who hadn't been a full-time fighter in years. Porter is retired, Kell Brook and Amir Khan haven't been relevant to the title picture in years, and both recently retired. I guess there's Keith Thurman, but who gives a shit, ya know?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

that’s a lot of brain damage. For a good cause.
Don’t believe everything you think.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Brain damage is weird. You see some guys who were brawlers and/or on the receiving end of at least one brutal KO who seem good in their 60s or older, like Duran and JCC Sr. Of course with Chavez, those beady little beaner eyes are tough to read to tell if he's really all there, but he seems good. Bernard Hopkins fought into his 50s(!) and still seemed sharp as ever when I saw him speak at some presser a while ago.

Then you get other guys known as defensive masters, like Pernell Whittaker, who has slurred for a while now. Oscar De La Hoya has always been a nut, so his antics in the last 10 years or so seem like a guy who was a phenomenal fighter, but mentally fucked up and prone to substance abuse.

Most of these guys don't have a lot of skills outside of fighting, and the chance to make big money, even if it's not multi-millions per fight, is hard to pass up, and I'd probably make the same decision.

All that said, it looks like Spence-Crawford may actually happen this fall and that's a good thing for the sport, even if the division has largely been cleaned out and there doesn't seem to be a viable challenger for the winner, so any type of effort to defend the belts will probably go one fight at the max.

Haney just unified against Kambosos, for I think all 4 major belts, and all I could think of is that I don't like watching Haney fight.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother »

I tell my buddy all the time that boxing politics wouldn't allow for too many undisputed champions at once because that's lost revenue for the promoters and sanctioning bodies. If one guy has all the belts then he can only fight 2x year. The more champions there are, the more fights can happen, the more money there is to be made.

Boxing seems to have fallen off in the past few years. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like when GGG/Canelo I was being hyped there was a lot going on. People have retired, gotten old and need to retire etc. and it seems like there is a lull in good fighters. Don't get me wrong, there still is a lot of good fights out there. It just seems like the talent pool is a lot less than it was a little while ago. I agree about WW. A few years ago, I would've sworn that 147 was stacked in the top 10. Not so much anymore.

I suppose that's the way things go though.

So now the undisputed list is:
154 is now undisputed
168 is undisputed

Taylor vacated the WBA belt @ 140
HW: I misspoke before, Usyk is fighting AJ next, afterwards He needs to fight Fury for an undisputed champions

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Old Mother wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:27 pm I tell my buddy all the time that boxing politics wouldn't allow for too many undisputed champions at once because that's lost revenue for the promoters and sanctioning bodies. If one guy has all the belts then he can only fight 2x year. The more champions there are, the more fights can happen, the more money there is to be made.

Boxing seems to have fallen off in the past few years. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like when GGG/Canelo I was being hyped there was a lot going on. People have retired, gotten old and need to retire etc. and it seems like there is a lull in good fighters. Don't get me wrong, there still is a lot of good fights out there. It just seems like the talent pool is a lot less than it was a little while ago. I agree about WW. A few years ago, I would've sworn that 147 was stacked in the top 10. Not so much anymore.

I suppose that's the way things go though.

So now the undisputed list is:
154 is now undisputed
168 is undisputed

Taylor vacated the WBA belt @ 140
HW: I misspoke before, Usyk is fighting AJ next, afterwards He needs to fight Fury for an undisputed champions
Fury is already the undisputed champion, even if he doesn't have all the belts and may or may not actually be retired, and I think he could convince his wife that it's worth it to their bank account to fuck up Usyk, unify the division, and then ride off to the trailer park and get back to gypsy pastimes like incest and pickpocketing.

Boxing's been falling off for a long time. There happened to be two legitimate stars in Pacquiao and Mayweather that drove the sport and drew a lot of attention to whatever divisions they were in. They were pulling down 8-figure paydays, carrying pay-per-views, and making a lot of people around them a lot of money.

That fight sat for too long, and by the time it happened, it was clear Pacquiao was on the downside and that it would be a wide Mayweather win.

Now, the big money attraction is Canelo, and he typically fights twice a year. Everyone else seems to think that's a good schedule, but most of the guys who can pull high 6-figure to low 7-figure purses (which aren't that many) would be better served by fighting more often.

A ton of belt holders hardly ever end up on TV, where the real money is.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Old Mother
Staff Sergeant

Post by Old Mother »

baffled wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:07 am Fury is already the undisputed champion, even if he doesn't have all the belts
Could you elaborate?