How do you measure success?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Have been asking the above question and have enjoyed the responses.

One said that they felt success meant “leaving the world a better place.”

Another said they felt success was “when they did something and felt good afterwards.”
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I don’t think there are any wrong answers.

I grew up with a father who worked very hard, and with a lot of joy, at art and music. Although he worked as a professional artist, his own art projects, and music practice, remained massive priorities.

I bring him up because I owe him credit for how I view success. For me, success means pursuing what you love and find meaningful.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

As of right now (and this could change @ any moment as I am rather fickle) my success is measured in how much weight I lose in a healthy way. Step two: drying out a little. I don't drink a ton, it's just consistent, so I'll see if I can't just get a streak going in the other direction. Any successful day is one where I lay my head down @ the end of it with zero regrets.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Your response reminds me of an interview with Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi. They’d both been #1 in the world at tennis and donated massive amounts to charity. Additionally, Andre had a lifetime of battling depression, low self-image, and drugs before finding purpose and peace later in life.

One of them was asked how they measured success. Their reply was, “Success is how you feel when you lay your head down for sleep.”

Thanks for sharing, Ron! Best of luck crushing that drink-free streak.