Don Layman PhD on protein requirements

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ZHaU- ... dbodygreen

Don Layman has published over 120 research papers on nutrition, mainly protein. He won't publish unless he repeats the experiments at least once or twice and has a few hundred unpublished papers. It's a fascinating interview. He's a nutrition expert and professor emeritus at the University of Illinois and said that what you read in the newspapers on nutrition is garbage. The average American doesn't get enough protein and not nearly enough for breakfast. If you don't want to listen, here are the main points.

Physically active people (those working out with weights, cardio, participate in sports etc.) should try to get between 1.8 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram bodyweight which translates to 0.8 to 0.9 grams protein per pound of bodyweight. If you weigh 200 pounds you need 160 to 180 grams of protein per day. Layman said that most active people will need to spread that out among 4 meals. He claims the technology isn't advanced enough to determine the difference between 0.8 grams per pound and 1.0 grams protein per pound bodyweight, which a lot of people advise.

He also said that being so mathematically specific confuses too many people, which is funny to me (math was my college major) so get at least 30 grams of protein for breakfast. Active people should aim for 35 to 40. After a night of sleep and not eating, the body is catabolic and has broken down muscle and needs the protein to build up muscle and become anabolic. Americans get a lot less than 30 grams for breakfast.

As people age into their 60s and beyond, protein isn't absorbed as well, so it's very important to get enough. Layman hasn't done the research but believes a lot of the frailty of elderly adults is due to not getting nearly enough protein. Falls are the leading cause of injury related deaths among people older than 65.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6718a1.htm

I can only eat 3 meals a day and a lot lot less than when I was in college over half a century ago, but I am getting about that much protein. It definitely helps to have breakfast before weight lifting (I’m by no means a serious lifter.) I also have cut out almost sugar from my diet. I wasn’t eating that much, but I believe it’s a good idea. Hope this is useful.

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

I forgot to mention that plant based proteins have a much lower amount of leucine, an essential amino acid for protein synthesis in muscles, so those on vegetarian diets need even more protein according to Professor Layman.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Personally, 1 gram per pound of ideal bodyweight has worked well. This worked when I wanted to be 185, 205, and 225. Excess protein did nothing, and less protein led to less muscle mass, strength, and energy.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Jesus this makes me feel like everyone in the industry has been spinning their wheels for 20yrs or longer.

Idk maybe weight training became a mature science/art in the 1960's or 1970's.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I wouldn’t have ended up here if I didn’t get suckered (IMO) by Pavel and Dragondoor. Weights, cardio, and a bodybuilding diet have a long track record of success. And yet, the hunt for an edge — doing less and/or better results — will always be enticing.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

My go to high protein breakfast:

2 servings of fat free greek yogurt (34 g protein)
1 scoop of slow digesting blends (29 g protein)
1 scoop of fast digesting blend (24 g protein)
1 cup frozen berries

It's quite filling.

One thing to remember is that the 30g of protein per meal thing is bullshit for a lot of reasons.

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

Layman talks about his protein recommendations and how much can be absorbed for muscle protein synthesis on this podcast at 1:39:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NNBgm0 ... hSimonHill

His personal recommendation is 40 grams of protein for breakfast, 55 for dinner and whatever you want for lunch.