Dowry murders in India

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Dowry murders in India

Post by Bram »

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023 ... e-epidemic

I thought this was an engrossing read. India has a number of particular cultural norms that end up with disempowered women who are often beaten and killed by their husbands and in-laws.

I have to imagine nearly all of us have felt the sting of being treated as “less than” by others — whether that’s based on our looks, our intellect, our money, or our abilities.

I read this stuff and I think about what needs to change in my culture of the US to bring everyone up, even just a little bit.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Dowry murders in India

Post by Turdacious »

According to the police transcript, he described Neeti’s death as an accident following an altercation. He said he resented her for all the time she spent at the gym.
@fit?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Dowry murders in India

Post by Bram »

Doubtlessly the husband was a true-beta male who couldn’t handle her Murph time and ate non-Paleo
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Luke

Dowry murders in India

Post by Luke »

For an enlightened, spiritual country - with generally friendly people - it's always intrigued me how they subjugate one and other.