I haven't touched a game since July. This could change things ...

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Akuma looking like The Liver King. Dig that headlock to head punch grapple.
“With malice towards none, with charity for all.” — Abraham Lincoln

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Topic author
Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

That looks sick. Love that company. Journey was such a beautiful experience.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Never played any of their other games, but surfing the sand with sky dolphins looks amazing.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Ron,

Your endorsement of Journey left me curious. Looks great! Here’s the trailer for anyone interested:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=61DZC-60x20

Games are such an interesting medium. Some, like Street Fighter 6, encourage mastery and a deep dive. Others pad their runtime with seemingly endless fetch-quests. Or you get a short and sweet novel experience, like Journey appears to be.

Topic author
Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Oh, for sure. We're in a real golden age for gaming. Even though I haven't played anything in close to a year, that's more of an indictment on where my interests are than the games themselves. My homies are sending me games or buying me the digi download version pretty regularly. I have a solid stack waiting for me when I get the urge to dive back in.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Played through roughly the first third of Journey today. What a beautiful experience! Definitely the kind of game to share with a non-gamer. Intuitive, intriguing, gorgeous. Thanks for the rec!

Topic author
Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Amazing game. Glad you enjoyed it. I think my biggest problem is that a fighter is my main thang. I have a bit of a retarded form of perfectionism. The last few I went in on, I got really fucking good at. My autism demands it. When I had a Nintendo Switch, I made Elite Smash in Super Smash Bros Ultimate with Little Mac. Then a buddy bought me Guilty Gear: Strive. I ranked top 1000 globally with Chipp Zanuff. Reached the Celestial status in that game for a year or so. I tend to get really reved on a good fighter. Only made it to Platinum in Street Fighter 6 with Jaime and ..... I really don't know what happened. It's not a dimmer switch for me, it's a toggle switch. Those games are, like you said, a deep dive. I just peeterd out when it came to that. Maybe I need to get with SF6 again. Maybe Tekken 8. I truly enjoy getting good at this dumb shit. It'll happen again sooner rather than later.

Luke

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the heads up on these titles, gents.

A friend of mine is fond of reminding me that video gaming is uniquely Gen X and Millennials' to claim. We were the first wave of kids to grow up on this really unique medium. It's nice to see how they still intrigue us in regards to their range in depth.

Parents just don't understand.*

*Not sure about America, but here in Australia bars have appeared over the past several years featuring retro gaming, alcohol and sometimes food. If I told my parents that's what I could be doing when I was older, they would have been pissed.

Topic author
Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Barcades have been pretty popular here in The States for a minute now. Last Punk show I attended was in a bar with a really cool back room that had several arcade cabinets with affixed drink holders. Good times.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Ron,

I’m in the same boat with first-person shooters. Top 200 on Halo 3, either top 500 or just outside of it on Destiny, at one point #11 on XBox for Orissa in Overwatch.

If you haven’t read it, Daigo Umehara’s biography on being a Street Fighter champion is really fricking good. And it’s good for anyone to read, regardless of being a gamer.

https://a.co/d/77IAZd0

A couple days ago, I discovered one of the local bars has a free-to-play Pac-Man unit. Haha, the gamer in me got sucked in for an hour easy.

Oh, and another fun fuckaround new indy game is Dave the Diver

Luke

Post by Luke »

Bram wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 4:07 am Top 200 on Halo 3, either top 500 or just outside of it on Destiny, at one point #11 on XBox for Orissa in Overwatch.
Get outta here! I mained Orisa for awhile.

I always thought you only fleetingly partook in games! Type of guy who picks the controller up, drives into a wall and says "ah I suck at games!" before going outside with the rest of the adults.

Didn't know we had a freak among us.

Very odd timing, but yesterday I was walking through a corporate food court near where I live and there was a chill out alcove with Xmen Vs. Capcom, 1942 and some others there. They looked free to play. I'll be moving soon but I need to use this resource before I go.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Another tank main! Playing Orissa when her shield was totally overpowered was a joy hahaha. And using her grapple to simultaneously pull multiple enemies to their doom….. :heart:

I haven’t been to an arcade in a while, but I still recall the grimy sour odor…. Wolverine and Cyclops’s supers in Xmen v Capcom ahhhh, good times!