23andme

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
milosz

23andme

Post by milosz »

My brother gave me a kit ($199) and I finally got around to collecting and turning it in. 5 weeks from shipping it off to the reports.

The ethnicity stuff is mildly interesting - apparently I share 98.1% European DNA, 1.9% Asian/Yakut (one ancestor in the last couple hundred years knocked up an American Indian I'm guessing). I'm pale with strawberry-blonde-to-red hair, I didn't need a DNA test to tell me that I'm 95.7% Northwestern European - recessive genes don't survive if you start breeding outside the local area.

The rest of what they provide is absolutely worthless. I "likely consume more caffeine" and I'm a "deep sleeper." No shit, motherfucker.

Even run through Promethease, the findings were basically "no duh" and confirmed family history that I knew about (increased risk of Alzheimer's, heart disease). Other stuff (no vitamin D abnormalities, higher risk of Mad Cow related diseases) were equally duh in the sense of knowing where my ancestors came from.

The only interesting finding was that I'm (supposedly) 7X less responsive to a broad class of anti-depressants. Never took any so I don't know if that's true.

Summation: if you were adopted or somehow never knew anything about your family some of it might be relevant, if you caveat every finding with "possible chance" and "maybe." If you just want to ensure that you're an Aryan, go with a cheaper service.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Re: 23andme

Post by dead man walking »

milosz wrote:My brother gave me a kit ($199) and I finally got around to collecting and turning it in. 5 weeks from shipping it off to the reports.

The ethnicity stuff is mildly interesting - apparently I share 98.1% European DNA, 1.9% Asian/Yakut (one ancestor in the last couple hundred years knocked up an American Indian I'm guessing). I'm pale with strawberry-blonde-to-red hair, I didn't need a DNA test to tell me that I'm 95.7% Northwestern European - recessive genes don't survive if you start breeding outside the local area.

The rest of what they provide is absolutely worthless. I "likely consume more caffeine" and I'm a "deep sleeper." No shit, motherfucker.

Even run through Promethease, the findings were basically "no duh" and confirmed family history that I knew about (increased risk of Alzheimer's, heart disease). Other stuff (no vitamin D abnormalities, higher risk of Mad Cow related diseases) were equally duh in the sense of knowing where my ancestors came from.

The only interesting finding was that I'm (supposedly) 7X less responsive to a broad class of anti-depressants. Never took any so I don't know if that's true.

Summation: if you were adopted or somehow never knew anything about your family some of it might be relevant, if you caveat every finding with "possible chance" and "maybe." If you just want to ensure that you're an Aryan, go with a cheaper service.
how about neanderthal?

my brother reports he's part neanderthal (so i suppose i am).
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Topic author
milosz

Re: 23andme

Post by milosz »

285 Neanderthal variants, more than 62% of the people tested.