American Gunsmithing Institute DVDs

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Schlegel

American Gunsmithing Institute DVDs

Post by Schlegel »

I got their DVD on the Walther PP and PPK/S. It's basically a good ol' boy talking about the gun while taking it apart and putting it back together. Not super high production values, and shot in pre-HD era, but it does the job. I was able to follow along and disassemble a Walther PP. I needed to replace the magazine catch, which was unevenly worn and making the magazines hitch as they went in, so I took the opportunity to tear down the whole frame assembly and clean the whole thing, as well as replacing the hammer spring with a slightly lighter weight one. Did a little smoothing of some parts, but just to reduce incidental friction, I stayed away from the surfaces controlling function as I don't know enough to be monkeying around with those.

Went well, and the mags now slide in with light pressure and a nice single click. The DVD's not about any repair that would require metalwork (they have other vids that are), just parts replacement, but well worth the $40 bucks to get familiar with the internals on a new-to-me gun. He does explain on a cutaway how the design works so you understand what is going on in operation. I picked up their vid on High Powers too, but haven't used it yet. Also turns out I could have saved money on my Brass punch set- just one size will do all the Walther's pins.

BTW, I found a guy online with a decent selection of magazines for popular guns who has not raised his prices (for example Mec Gars for the Walther for $21). Has 15 round flush fit mags for High Powers, 11 round extended mags for 1911s - PM me for the link.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Re: American Gunsmithing Institute DVDs

Post by tough old man »

I stayed away from the surfaces controlling function as I don't know enough to be monkeying around with those.
Damn common sense!
Has 15 round flush fit mags for High Powers
I have never had good luck with these....
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Topic author
Schlegel

Re: American Gunsmithing Institute DVDs

Post by Schlegel »

TOM, what I've been told is stick with Mec Gar and you'll be Ok. At the moment I'm reshaping the feed lips on a promag that totally fails to feed (from a different supplier) so I'm beginning to believe it.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"